• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Are the PRC cartridges dead?

Smitty192

Stand-up Philosopher
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Deep East Texas
Will the 6.5 & 300 PRC cartridges still be a viable options for shooters? I've got a 6.5 PRC that is relagated to being a paperweight. I've been waiting for brass and ammo come back in circulation, but it doesn't appear that is going to happen soon.

I wouldn't be stoking the funeral pyre for the rifle if I had one in the safe, but wouldn't be 'pulling the trigger' on any of the ammo listed on AmmoSeek for either chambering. $5-8 per round. Fuck that.

Reactions: Bullfrog08
f9b093c3-1fc0-4ece-9f7c-5907dec11ce8_text.gif

Aren't 98% of cartridges dead right now?

I think the opposite is true. It's too popular. Demand has severely outweighed the supply.

I read somewhere that 6.5 PRC is the new most popular hunting round. That may have something to do with scarcity of components.

I've had a barrel for over a year and took that long to collect components and put together the rig.

Aside from 308/223. The only thing I consistently see ammo on the shelf for is 6arc and 6cm.

I wouldn't be stoking the funeral pyre for the rifle if I had one in the safe, but wouldn't be 'pulling the trigger' on any of the ammo listed on AmmoSeek for either chambering. $5-8 per round. Fuck that.
That's just it. 338 LM & 300 NM are almost cheaper to buy.

Unlike the 6.5 PRC, Yersinia pestis (Plague) is alive and well.

And its in Prairie dogs. WHo doesn't love prairie dogs! (Even if it is as targets)

Thats an incredible claim. id like to see the article and data to back up something like that.

most popular PRS round? ok.
most popular hunting round in the USA? No way.

PRS round? uhhhhh no. They are all about pussy level 6 mm. Most dudes near me call me a savage for shooting the "over powered" 6.5 Manbun.

However, I've seen several guys at the range with 6.5 PRC. Its still very popular, despite the ammo shortage.

BTW midsouth had 30 cal 220 Nosler Custom Competition at $0.48 per (had!)

Thats an incredible claim. id like to see the article and data to back up something like that.

Key word is NEW, not most popular overall or most widely used.

Almost...

I can't 6.5 PRC anywhere but GB.

Reactions: Nik H
1647014521698.jpeg

Just a friendly psa, I’ll collect anyones dying .30-06 ammo or components. I don’t want anyone to get infected with that pestilence sitting around. Just looking out for the community

Reactions: camocorvette
Don't worry, the new Gucci round of the year will be released soon and all the muppets will be switching to that which will ease the strain on everything else

Reactions: Nik H

Not used in PRS.

LGS sells more prc chambered rifles than anything else. They have ammo in stock for $100/box also.

I don’t see PRC leaving anytime soon. The components for everything are hard to get in general. Couple that with everyone who owns one jumping on Lapua brass etc as soon as it came out creates a long backorder list

The PRC do have advantages that I think will keep it around for the time to come

I don’t see PRC leaving anytime soon. The components for everything are hard to get in general. Couple that with everyone who owns one jumping on Lapua brass etc as soon as it came out creates a long backorder list

The PRC do have advantages that I think will keep it around for the time to come
I was really impressed with the 6.5 PRC. I hope the component inventory will come back soon...Not sure it will though.

I was really impressed with the 6.5 PRC. I hope the component inventory will come back soon...Not sure it will though.
It will get better. Will prices ever come back to “normal” likely not. A new normal will be primers for $80/1000 and powder for $40-$45 lbs.

The upcoming mid terms will have a definite effect on the gun world if there’s change either way.

It will get better. Will prices ever come back to “normal” likely not. A new normal will be primers for $80/1000 and powder for $40-$45 lbs.

The upcoming mid terms will have a definite effect on the gun world if there’s change either way.
You're probably right. But how long has this lasted? 2+ years? I don't know how much of it is new gun owners entering the market. Maybe it's people buying up as much as they can. Maybe it's a combination of multiple factors...I don't know for sure.

You're probably right. But how long has this lasted? 2+ years? I don't know how much of it is new gun owners entering the market. Maybe it's people buying up as much as they can. Maybe it's a combination of multiple factors...I don't know for sure.
Likely a combination of several things,

Panic buying- with dems having some control we never know what is yet to come

Availability- this isn’t just components in the gun world. Most stuff is back ordered or hard to come by. Just look at building supplies etc

Price gouging- as long as you can buy 1,000 primers for $60 and sell them for $120 people will continue to do so

Workers- people don’t want to work for some reason. I have a great job and we’ve had issues with people not showing up for interviews or just quitting the job all together right away. The work ethic is gone to crap. The long line of manufacturing that goes into a single cartridge has issues along the way with this as well.

Shit 556 ammo that I use went from $270/1000 to $600/1000 in two years

I don't get it.

Look at ADG. I can find .375UM and 30 Nosler brass everywhere.

Or Lapua. Brass for the 6.5x284 is widely available.

When I walk into my LGS, 6.5 prc rifles are all over the place. Why isn't more prc brass being produced? At this point brass manufacturers can do a massive run of 6.5prc and sell every friggin' piece at a premium without any issues. I'd buy enough up front last at least a couple barrels. So... what gives?

I'm not normally the tin foil hat, conspiracy theory type, but I feel like there's fuckery going on here.

I don't get it.

When I walk into my LGS, 6.5 prc rifles are all over the place. Why isn't more prc brass being produced? At this point brass manufacturers can do a massive run of 6.5prc and sell every friggin' piece at a premium without any issues. I'd buy enough up front last at least a couple barrels. So... what gives?

I'm not normally the tin foil hat, conspiracy theory type, but I feel like there's fuckery going on here.
I think FUCKERY is the cause of everything. I'm almost considering rebarrelling my 6.5 PRC. 300 WSM brass just slightly easier to find.

Lapua makes the brass for both. Thats pretty much the barometer for whether or not your cartridge has solidified itself. Not going anywhere.

I contemplated this cartridge but with all the difficulties in sourcing brass i decided against it. If i want to stick to 6.5 i might go saum but need to research a little more as i have one powder i want to use and a 20” barrel maximum length. 18” would be even better, sooo kinda makes all these bigger volume 6.5’s practically a waste of time or at least of powder.

I don't get it.

That's what im saying. The industry flooded the market with 6.5 PRC rifles and a shit ton of people bought them right as this fuckery started.

The hold up is brass. Seems like the industry just stopped making it.

And now Hornady is coming out with the 6GT and making brass and ammo for that. And seems like they flat out stopped making anything 6.5. PRC.

Yep....two years in on an abundance of supplies. Having to cut back now. Never thought it would continue this long. Im not paying $50 for 20 rounds.

Need primers and powder too!

Last edited: