• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Area 419 Zero Press vs SCA Nexus Press

Ergos? Quality? Functionality? I own one and couldn’t disagree more. You are literally the first person I’ve seen complain about any of these. What would you consider a good press then? Maybe stick to factory ammo, you wont have to worry about any of these made-up issues :ROFLMAO:

No, I'm not the only one. Have you ever noticed the extensive catalog of aftermarket parts sold by Forster for the CoAx? Those are patches for the shortcomings countless end users have encountered. This thread is literally about a new high end redesigned CoAx.

• Haha
Reactions: Schütze
You can buy aftermarket upgrades for a Zero Press… Again, I’m not saying the Coax is a perfect press, but it sucks ass? The quality of it is poor? The functionality is poor? What is a good press to you?

As long as the round with chamber and fire properly.......what % of shooters do you think can exploit difference in pressure and bullet jump from the shoulder bump variance of a flexing press?

The industry has proven 100x over that things like runout don't matter. So concentricity issues that even the cheapest presses allow for doesn't show up on paper even for the F Class crowd. So that part doesn't matter (you didn't mention, just saying).

So that only leaves the shoulder variance as the other potential issue. But, if you purposely change shoulder bump say.... +/- .003 or .004 and take most shooters.....do a Pepsi test where they don't know which round is which but you do.......you're going to have a hard time seeing a difference.

I think you're also overestimating how many people who make good ammo actually care about the flex in the press. Most serious releasers will to through a phase where they are OCD about that kind of stuff. Then after thousands of rounds just stop carrying and rum the ram up and down without caring too much as long as the ammo produced fits in the chamber. And they see that there is either no difference or a difference so small it's not worth the extra effort.
What you are saying is true for most shooters but, to answer your question, there are a small percentage of shooters that can and do strive to exploit these inconsistencies. For example, inconsistent shoulder bump can lead to ignition inconsistencies and will produce jump variance. It’s all a matter of perspective. For large-game hunters and most PRS comps, your are right. However, if inches matter at 1000 yards, its all about eliminating any inconsistency in your loading procedure.

Last edited:
If anyone gets their Nexus press and doesn’t like it or changes their mind, I will buy it. I don’t know when my Midway back order will ship.
You know there's one in the px right now right? It's pretty expensive imo, for what's included but could actual cost with shipping and all

And this is how threads end up going to shit. The issues aren't "made up" if that's his personal preference.

There's plenty of people who don't like presses that are commonly well liked. I used a co-ax for years and while it's a good press......IMO it's not the heaven sent gift to loaders that some people think.

The thing that bums me out about the SAC press is they missed the opportunity to move the handle. The CoAx handle is 16" higher than most conventional presses and there's no way to lower the handle height without lowering the mounting surface.

The thing that bums me out about the SAC press is they missed the opportunity to move the handle. The CoAx handle is 16" higher than most conventional presses and there's no way to lower the handle height without lowering the mounting surface.
That's why I was asking for the size of the thing. I couldn't find dimensions on it anywhere and I have 3 presses already . However, I'd like to have one just because but I don't want a big one.

I wouldn't mind having one dedicated to priming with the ugly primer since I have such a sweet set up now with the UR primers and dillon rf100 with crimson piece to use just dillon tubes straight in it. Of course, it's kind of nuts to get a nexus for priming and I'm not getting rid of my Lyman turret , zero, or 550c either..... I'd still like to have one to use so if dimensions are small enough with the qd plate, but the handle height and all is a bit of a concern for me

This is clearly a user preference, I would not like it being lower. That’s why it’s great to have choices.

OP, get your hands on both presses. Try them, preferably with a sizing die mounted and size a few cases. Choose the one you like best put down your money and don’t look back. If you tried and like both, flip a coin.

That's why I was asking for the size of the thing. I couldn't find dimensions on it anywhere and I have 3 presses already . However, I'd like to have one just because but I don't want a big one.

I wouldn't mind having one dedicated to priming with the ugly primer since I have such a sweet set up now with the UR primers and dillon rf100 with crimson piece to use just dillon tubes straight in it. Of course, it's kind of nuts to get a nexus for priming and I'm not getting rid of my Lyman turret , zero, or 550c either..... I'd still like to have one to use so if dimensions are small enough with the qd plate, but the handle height and all is a bit of a concern for me
Have you looked at these?

No I haven't, but I will. Thanks

Looking at these for the last couple of weeks 🤣
Would be perfect for the ugly primer seater I think, because of its small size and mounting option.

Would be perfect for the ugly primer seater I think, because of its small size and mounting option.
Yeah it would. Only thing is that I have 2 UR primers (Large and Small) and have em on a turret which is super nice, so I'm not sure I'd want to switch em out and take a press on and off somewhere. That said, this little Harrell press would be cool to do an idea I've had for a bit with a little press that swings out and swings back in under my bench when not in use. Only for like priming or depriving ect...

Yeah it would. Only thing is that I have 2 UR primers (Large and Small) and have em on a turret which is super nice, so I'm not sure I'd want to switch em out and take a press on and off somewhere. That said, this little Harrell press would be cool to do an idea I've had for a bit with a little press that swings out and swings back in under my bench when not in use. Only for like priming or depriving ect...

Here's their turret press.

I've been looking at them for years but 99% of all my loading is on a Dillon 750 and I use a Lee hand press for seating testing in the field so other than the "It's cool" factor I'm not sure I'd use it much.

Here's their turret press.
Now that would be ideal for the UR primer set up!!! I may have to do that on my swing out idea. I'd like to have one I can sit reg height at and prime next to my pull out cart. The cart has a green top on it and it would be ideal

Reactions: LR1845
This is clearly a user preference, I would not like it being lower. That’s why it’s great to have choices.

For sure. I reload standing and my benches are fairly tall. The ergonomic complaint is that you can't lower the CoAx handle height beyond the frame height, which is quite tall. Traditional presses can lower their handle heights to accommodate taller benches.

Last edited:
And this is how threads end up going to shit. The issues aren't "made up" if that's his personal preference.

There's plenty of people who don't like presses that are commonly well liked. I used a co-ax for years and while it's a good press......IMO it's not the heaven sent gift to loaders that some people think.

I bought into those glowing reviews. When I really started using the press I figured out those reviews almost always come from unqualified users. The person I sold the press to told me he'd heard so many good things he needed to find out for himself.

I bought a 419 press largely due to how pissed off I was at what an unmitigated piece of shit the CoAx is and how dumb I felt for falling for boomer fuddlore. Any time I hear someone go super hard at praising the CoAx I know their opinion is probably worthless. The CoAx does some things right but it does a whole lot more things wrong.

If you end up with one I'd like to hear what you think about it.
I'm likely to get the double one. I need to make sure but it being clamp on makes it pretty easy for me to set up the way I want to. I can make a hinge swing out arm and have a sweet little set up

Reactions: LR1845
For sure. I reload standing and my benches are fairly tall. The ergonomic complaint is that you can't lower the CoAx handle height beyond the frame height, which is quite tall. Traditional presses can lower their handle heights to accommodate taller benches.
I have a kitchen cabinet high workbench with the tall 9.5” (I think) inline fab base mounted on top. Also operate the press standing up when sizing but often sitting on a high stool while seating bullets, for seating I remove the lever on the coax and just grab the area where it slides in. I’m 6’5” and find this very ergonomic and comfortable.

The nexus has a center roller handle, even better.
And I especially like the pair of 2 different height hard stops for cam over or not. The die should not touch the shell holder and hopefully results in better consistency for shoulder bump. I don’t know yet….

Just started reloading 3-4 years ago, and only 6BR and 6.5Cr. My sd’s are between 7 and 15 with the least amount of time / work spent. That somehow tells me I’m not doing that bad.

I sort of think Harrel's is aimed at BR shooters and this press seems to be made to mount to a bench/table as BR guys load at the range as they shoot in changing conditions. No?

Hard to believe my eyes. Speaking ill against the vaunted Forester CoAx. Oh the infamy of it all…..

Why, millions have been spent to make sure it is in every Hollywood movie/film where reloading is shown. If Hollywood takes money to put it on film, it has to be the best, right?

• Haha
Reactions: Herb Stoner
Is there any single advantage at all to this nexus “cam over” when compared to the 419s mechanical stopping point?

They talk about it and Greg does too like it’s revolutionary but I can’t even figure out why it’s important, vs the normal mechanical stop of a press

Is there any single advantage at all to this nexus “cam over” when compared to the 419s mechanical stopping point?

They talk about it and Greg does too like it’s revolutionary but I can’t even figure out why it’s important, vs the normal mechanical stop of a press
It removes the possibility of having slightly different force applied depending on how hard you press on that stop each time. It just removes a slight variable, which we are always trying to do. Without cam over, how do you know that you pressed the same amount on that mechanical stop each time? That's the reason they like "cam over"

Reactions: Baron23

I wonder the same thing. If the die and base have fully contacted each other what additional pressure is applied? “Camover” alway struck me as other press parts flexing under pressure after the die has fully done its job.

Looks like a very nice press though - a cool update to the Co-Ax design that solves some issues that the Co-Ax had.

It removes the possibility of having slightly different force applied depending on how hard you press on that stop each time. It just removes a slight variable, which we are always trying to do. Without cam over, how do you know that you pressed the same amount on that mechanical stop each time? That's the reason they like "cam over"
When the die and base are firmly in contact? Maybe you don’t have to pay attention to what you’re doing as much with a “camover“ feature? I don’t know…

Reactions: Maurygold
It isn't the bow. It's the Indian who's drawing the string.

Some of the comments...
shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

I'd like to see you make them to the faces of some of the multi-world champion marksmen who still load on a rock chucker. They don't know shit because they don't need a $1,400 press to make match ammo? All I can say is that you had better BE a world champion making the kinds of superlative and absolutist statements seen here.

When the die and base are firmly in contact? Maybe you don’t have to pay attention to what you’re doing as much with a “camover“ feature? I don’t know…
Just explaining the theory that some believe is important. I would think the mechanical stop and how it works would be a factor too in whether or not "cam over" in fact makes any difference if you have a mechanical stop.

Let's say there is a slight difference in repeatability of force applied.... does that difference even effect the ammo amd how it shoots????

Like a lot of things in loading, it all depends on how deep ya wanna go down the rabbit hole and there's always going to be some subjectivity to it

Got mine today, no scratches, packaging is good enough, barely

I sold my coax for more than I paid for it 9 years ago, I do not expect to get twice as good sizing performance from this press, but do consider it an upgrade

Attachments

• IMG_1015.jpeg
    IMG_1015.jpeg
    479.6 KB · Views: 33
Edit: one of the clips was knocked off in transit, two clips on the outside of the short arm coming from the base, had to dig in the box to find it, would assume that takes a pretty good beating for that to happen

Also, why don’t we get primer catch can???

fully installed now and sized a handful of WSM cases, this thing is a beast compared to coax, bigger and heavier operation, i sit down while relaoding....its just bigger and heavier in a good way

Just sized some BRA brass and it is so easy , so much leverage for that little case

Last edited: