• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ARMS rings on SPRs.

Roadwild17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Central East Texas
Noticed some bashing of ARMS as being not up to par. I was wondering:

1: What specifically is wrong with them?
2: Any of the guys with SPRs, yall still using ARMS or switching to something like the Larue SPR mounts?

Re: ARMS rings on SPRs.

I'm curious about this also. I'm putting together a MK12 mod 0 style SPR and have a set of medium ARMS rings in my safe right now. They seem pretty solid.

Reactions: Alaska

ARMS is made of cast pot metal, not machined from billet

They are not adjustable for different sized rails. Not all 1913 rails are created equal, so ARMS are often too loose (snap) or too tight (slip).

ARMS has severe honesty issues. They have been caught using shill accounts to spread disinformation about their products on numerous forums. When they had an Eotech 553 slipping on a gun at SHOT they claimed that "soft mounting" protected the optic from recoil damage. Yeahhhhhhh.....

The best $10K of the taxpayer's money I ever spent went to purging my old unit of every single ARMS product i could find, except for those POS 553s which have the mounts built in. Every scope ring was replaced with Nightforce due to a ridiculous failure rate of the #22s (either too lose, or broke at the lever junction.)

I'd rather move to Massachusetts, sell all my guns, and become a pacifist than mount anything I cared about in ARMS products.

Thanks for some specific info besides "ARMS sucks"

I have a deal on the scope I want with some $$$ towards a mount / rings. They dont sell Larue, so I could get the Burris Pepr or just qd rings.

I have had a set or ARMs QD for 3 or 4 years on an AR. It has over 6000 rounds and is constantly riding around on my fourwheeler gun rack getting bounced like crazy. It has been through 5 or 6 4 day rifle classes and tons of hunting trips. My scope never looses zero and I take it off for cleaning all the time and it goes right back to zero.

This surprises me about them based on my excellent experience with them.

I have had some issues with arms. I had a #18 that fit to terribly into my M1A receiver, it was barely useable; not to mention the bolt stripped on me twice and the tension button broke. I have other mounts that don't fit my rails right, stripped threads and rings that won't hold zero.

The recent bashing has probably come about because they are suing Mark Larue over a copyright infringement of the # 17. Product quality put aside, this is absolutely GAY. In trying to put a competitor out of business through litigation rather than making a superior product, this frivolous lawsuit unmasks the integrity of the guy over at arms. Early this month, LaRue has offered to replace any busted arms mount with a new texas spec mount at no cost. I spoke with a guy over there and they have been swamped with emails from people wanting to send them their arms mounts. With so many people looking to exit out of their arms mounts into LaRue's, what does that tell you about consumer confidence and satisfaction?

Either that or it just tells you that people want something for free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prplhaz72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had a set or ARMs QD for 3 or 4 years on an AR. It has over 6000 rounds and is constantly riding around on my fourwheeler gun rack getting bounced like crazy. It has been through 5 or 6 4 day rifle classes and tons of hunting trips. My scope never looses zero and I take it off for cleaning all the time and it goes right back to zero.

This surprises me about them based on my excellent experience with them. </div></div>

+1

Nothing but good experiences here. I think LaRue does make better products though but I don't always want a mount instead of just rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M4guru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ARMS is made of cast pot metal, not machined from billet

They are not adjustable for different sized rails. Not all 1913 rails are created equal, so ARMS are often too loose (snap) or too tight (slip).

ARMS has severe honesty issues. They have been caught using shill accounts to spread disinformation about their products on numerous forums. When they had an Eotech 553 slipping on a gun at SHOT they claimed that "soft mounting" protected the optic from recoil damage. Yeahhhhhhh.....

The best $10K of the taxpayer's money I ever spent went to purging my old unit of every single ARMS product i could find, except for those POS 553s which have the mounts built in. Every scope ring was replaced with Nightforce due to a ridiculous failure rate of the #22s (either too lose, or broke at the lever junction.)

I'd rather move to Massachusetts, sell all my guns, and become a pacifist than mount anything I cared about in ARMS products.</div></div>

+1

Larue makes a QD ring set. LT-123. They are about the same height as ARMS #22 mediums. If I were buying again, I would choose Larue no questions asked. I like the adjustability, and the levers seem more sturdy.
That being said, I have the #22 med QD rings on my SPR and they have held up well. I seldom take the scope off though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prplhaz72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either that or it just tells you that people want something for free.</div></div>

If that is the underlying reason, then tell me this: If arms offered to replace larue mounts with theirs for free, you think people would be as enthusiastic to do so?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Larue makes a QD ring set. LT-123. They are about the same height as ARMS #22 mediums. If I were buying again, I would choose Larue no questions asked. I like the adjustability, and the levers seem more sturdy.
That being said, I have the #22 med QD rings on my SPR and they have held up well. I seldom take the scope off though.
</div></div>

They make 2 sets now:
LT-123 is 1.28" from rail to centerline
LT-719 is 0.875" from rail to centerline

IMHO LaRue is a better product but we all want the "look" of the MIL. rifles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prplhaz72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either that or it just tells you that people want something for free.</div></div>

If that is the underlying reason, then tell me this: If arms offered to replace larue mounts with theirs for free, you think people would be as enthusiastic to do so? </div></div>

If they had broken LaRue mounts of course they would. If I had any broken mount and someone offered to replace it for free with another good product I would take them up on it in a heart beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Larue makes a QD ring set. LT-123. They are about the same height as ARMS #22 mediums. If I were buying again, I would choose Larue no questions asked. I like the adjustability, and the levers seem more sturdy.
</div></div>

They make 2 sets now:
LT-123 is 1.28" from rail to centerline
LT-719 is 0.875" from rail to centerline </div></div>

Wasnt aware of that. Thanks. IIRC, the ARMS 22 med is 1.25 from rail to centerline, so the LT123 would be a direct replacement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prplhaz72</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prplhaz72</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either that or it just tells you that people want something for free.</div></div>

If that is the underlying reason, then tell me this: If arms offered to replace larue mounts with theirs for free, you think people would be as enthusiastic to do so? </div></div>

If they had broken LaRue mounts of course they would. If I had any broken mount and someone offered to replace it for free with another good product I would take them up on it in a heart beat.
</div></div>

If you break a larue mount, it will be replaced by larue. They have even replaced chinese copies of their gear when it was purchased by an unwitting customer and failed.

The Larue, Borbo, and ADM Mounts are better than ARMS, but the ARMS are still pretty good.

On the surface, the lawsuite that ARMS has against Larue sounds pretty gay, but the lawsuite is probably more because Mark Larue just can't keep his mouth shut and let his products sell themselves. Either way, it is just another black eye for the industry. I wish both sides would just grow up.

Thats exactly it. LaRue is just trying to rub salt in the wound at this point with the whole replacing of arms mounts. But I am sure they both are guilty of that at this point.

ARMS also files a patent infringement complaint with eBay every time a MBUS pops up because it self-deploys when you push a lever.

What did Magpul do to ARMS, other than take their BUIS business?

Anyone care to take a guess at other people ARMS has sued because a superior product put a damper on their pot-matel crap?

I've used the arms mount for my aimpoint for 10 years and constantly removed and replaced it. always returned to zero and never had any failures of any type. And my eotech 553 locks up tight on 4 different ARs I use it with.

Had an SIR on an M4 for years, then switched over to a DD lite rail, but only for weight.

Had a couple swan rails on different flat tops over the years and every one was solid.

Cant say I've ever had any bad experiences with ARMS. I am LE, not military, so maybe I dont bash my weapons around as much as our forces in combat, but mine have had their share of getting banged on door frames and smacked into walls...

And I agree, lawsuits do sometimes have merit, but this seems like "whos the biggest bully in the playground" type of BS argument.

I'm glad you have had good luck. I would say you got your money's worth.

I have had at least one-dozen SOCOM-issued EOtech 553s that were non-starters due to the levers not locking up snugly, or being too tight to close without snapping the levers.

I also had a handful (7 or 8 of 12) SOPMOD I VLI (2)s...otherwise known as the Surefire Millenium series...lights with mounts that were also not tight or too tight.

I am not sure why anyone would buy a poorly cast, non-adjustable mount when a billet, adjustable, lockable mount can be had with proven CS and ethical business practices.

Mark Larue is a personal friend of mine. It is not for that reason I champion Larue products to this degree, but rather that one of his products may well have saved my life. I was injured in an explosion in Mosul in early 2008, and my SPR was launched about 80 feet by the blast directly under me. Two of my teamates were down to include my medic, who was KIA. I was able to get to my weapon and engage the initiators of the attack with my rifle, which had not lost zero even though the forend was severly damaged and the buttstock was shattered. The combo that took the hit was a S&B Short Dot in a Larue 1.93. The force broke my back, two ribs, almost crushed my right leg, dislocated my jaw, and gave me one hell of a concussion. I'm still recovering to this day, that's why I teach now instead of busting heads where I should be. The optic is still putting bad guys in it's crosshairs with my old teammates.

When the Larue products survived that with boring reliability, who would I supports ARMS when they break during installation?

I could go into the stuff Mark has sent to guys like me at great expense to Larue Tactical in emergencies for nothing more than a hurried "thanks" on our way out the door. Or feeding all comers at the Marine 3-Gun for free with a bunch of BBQ he helped cooked himself. Or helping sponsor the SOF 3-Gun match which benefits the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. Or taking the time away from commercial production to make a wazoo one-off for a military sniper that they may or may not wind up liking or buying. Or donating to Breat Cancer awareness...

just saying, support the folks that support you. Especially when their stuff is a whole lot better.

Arms also sued Troy and GG&G.

Btw, sick story m4guru. Do you think your story would be the same, had your S&B been housed by an arms mount?

I doubt it, but that's why I won't use ARMS.

A lot of people make serviceable mounts other than Larue. None of them offer quite the same functionality or purpose-driven design, but they're high quality nevertheless. ADM, KAC, Some GG&G parts, Nightforce, Near, Badger, Seekins, etc. The list is almost endless. ARMS no longer measures up.

Well, if anyone has the merit to rant about larue, it is you. I cannot even fathom being in a situation like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M4guru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ARMS also files a patent infringement complaint with eBay every time a MBUS pops up because it self-deploys when you push a lever.

What did Magpul do to ARMS, other than take their BUIS business?

Anyone care to take a guess at other people ARMS has sued because a superior product put a damper on their pot-matel crap? </div></div>

Just an FYI: ARMS is suing Magpul because of the aperature. Initiallly Magpul had an A2 style aperature but they changed it to the current style, which is where the problem is.

I'm not an ARMS fan, but if ARMS told Magpul about the problem and Magpul didn't change it, then that is on Magpul.

Glad you survived the incident.

I've gone through a pile of ARMS mounts that had problems. My favorite is when one ring will mount and lockup fine and the other won't. Then what do you do?

Larue puts his money where his mouth is, he and I may not always see eye to eye but I respect him. ARMS will never see my money, fucking cowards.

By the way, I suspect Mark doesn't have quite the Nazi "memorabilia" collection as Dick. Third Totenkopf indeed.

I don't and probably won't own any ARMS mounts. Not because I have any problem with them, but because LaRue makes most of the stuff I would need.

Mark has gone well beyond the "warranty" with one of the products I bought from him. I won't post details, but I will most certainly buy whatever I can from him. He truly honors the "If you ain't happy, we ain't happy." guarantee.

The warranty alone is reason enough to buy LaRue over arms. Let's see...unlimited lifetime warranty vs. 1 year limited warranty...hmmm, decisions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO LaRue is a better product but we all want the "look" of the MIL. rifles </div></div>

Well based on the intel and pics I've seen, if you want the "look" of the latest NAVSPECWAR MK 12 MOD 1s, just get Nightforce ultralight high rings with your Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS, or a LaRue 1.95 mount (higher to clear the PEQ). Easy solution...

K

I have had ARMS #22 rings on my MK 12 Mod 0 and my Rem 700 for the last 10 years and have worked great with no problem. Both Rifles wear Leupold Mark 4 scopes.

WSKdtFQ.png

Been using ARMS #35 Track Mounting on a MK12 for more than a decade holding a Leupold Mk4 3-9x36 (original configuration) without issue. Always returns to zero and has done the job quite well.

Today I use other systems but back then, ARMS was the only era correct solution. As long as they keep working I'll stick with them!

Wow, how did this old thread even get picked?

We build Mk12 rifles and uppers and use ARMS rings. Never had an issue. I have seen some ARMS rings not get as tight as they should on some Elcan scopes. ARMS is good at fixing any issues that may come up.