• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Army M24 Build Thread

Re: Army M24 Build Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many of you Army snipers have shot the M24 without bipod? Yeh it may be a stupid question. Keeping legs folded is technically shooting without bipod but what I'm asking is if any choose to remove the bipod? When I used to have a PSS, I initially shot it with a bipod and did well, then after a while I decided to shoot off soft support with bipod removed and I prefered this much more! </div></div>
I personally feel that any shooter in any sport that wants to be a great shot has to shoot more and train more in alternate firing positions. Anyone can shoot in the prone and hit their target consistently after they have good dope. But you know somebody is on their game and really motivated and serious when you see the using alt.

Bipod is handy in a pinch, can be unhandy as well at times. M40a1 had none. The A3 can be supplied with them, that blocky(A4 stock) forend probably is great both with or without.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Backstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

"Letters are too low - the stock covers half the line of text."

</div></div>

As for lettering being covered up, I think the HSP stocks ride higher up on reciever and barrel compared to other stocks. I'm not a rifle builder so I don't know why, but some M40A1s have recivers seeming to be low in stock and others sit higher. I see it by looking at the gas vent hole in reciever being covered by stock while other M40s the vent hole is higher up and has a tiny mm gap betweem bottom of hole and the stock. Are recivers bedded higher up or are some HTG stocks taller than others?

Well, I'm finin' to find out. I decided to complete the clone build while waiting on the genuine rig. I re-tig welded the fucked up lettering and bought a set of letter stamps in the correct font and size. I'll hand stamp the letters one at a time that way I can control depth, spacing, and alignment. Just waiting on a Rock Creek barrel. I now have everything else to do it right.

Sounds like a plan backstop!
Is it illegal to change a name on the receiver? My GAP didn't have M24 engraved but I didn't ask for it either. I'd want it done if my rifle wasn't the actual Rem 24. Yes in the case of the M24, why not find a dealer who can get one from Remington LE? Well the reason I like clones is builders can make them more accurate now than the military issue. The 40 obviously has to be cloned as no one can buy one at a dealer direct from Quantico! But also, the specs for the M40 are not as stringent accuracy-wise as many custom builders. The Army accuracy specs on the M24 similarly are not that spectacular. Its nice to have the best of both worlds if your going to spend that kind of money anyway. Why not take advantage of what a good rep smith can do! Building it yourself that's even better!

Yeah, I said the same thing previously. Can you legally change the model designation on a receiver? Might be a No-No!

I sell guns for a living in a high volume gun shop just outside Seattle. Our gunsmith says the ATF could care less what you write on a receiver so long as you don't touch the serial number and the NAME of the manufacturer. A retired, local ATF agent tells me the same thing. Looking at the regulations, there are very specific criteria for what can be done and what can't be done... all right on the ATF's website.

Here's a question for those in the know.

In looking at pictures here and there of the 24, I've noticed that some M24s have an extended upper picatinny rail (hangs out past the lug and over an inch or so of the barrel) whereas others are cut short just aft of the lug. Can anyone give me a little background on that? I have a new in the wrap rail that was sitting behind our counter here at the shop from many years ago. The sticker on the package says: "RAIL, US ARMY SNIPER, M24." It is the longer variant - the one that hangs way forward of the lug as in the photo below. It also has a drilled and tapped hole at like a 45 degree angle just over the ejection port - fuck it, I'll just take a pic and upload it. What was that hole all about?? Oh, and any idea who made it? (see pic)

Beginning the setup...got the receiver back from being re-tigged. Dakota Arms bottom metal is at home.

Here's the rail I found in the gun shop where I work... nobody has a clue as to why we ever stocked it.

Here's a pic of the receiver after re-tig over the botched engraving.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Backstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a question for those in the know.

In looking at pictures here and there of the 24, I've noticed that some M24s have an extended upper picatinny rail (hangs out past the lug and over an inch or so of the barrel) whereas others are cut short just aft of the lug. Can anyone give me a little background on that? I have a new in the wrap rail that was sitting behind our counter here at the shop from many years ago. The sticker on the package says: "RAIL, US ARMY SNIPER, M24." It is the longer variant - the one that hangs way forward of the lug as in the photo below. It also has a drilled and tapped hole at like a 45 degree angle just over the ejection port - fuck it, I'll just take a pic and upload it. What was that hole all about?? Oh, and any idea who made it? (see pic)

Here's the rail I found in the gun shop where I work... nobody has a clue as to why we ever stocked it.

</div></div>
The origional issue weaver mount was only as long as the action. It was Luepold or Stevens Ultra brand, but it was sourced from another manufacturer according to Marty of Badger Ordnance. Badger Ord also made the 1pc rail for issue to the Army according to them. Later the news was that the 2pc would replace the 1pc, but that didn't really ever happen. than I would hear from here and other places that the MARS or McCann rail was going to replace everything but seems to be more limited. That small extension rail seems to be an SF thing and it may also be a Badger Ord product or a DD Ross maybe? I believe Badger Ordnance contines to make the older origional issue-style 1pc (w/o front ext) on a ltd basis(or in mass if Army still needs them). I think he knows civie folks still like them so I believe he may have some around. They are not listed in the regular catologue but he sells them. Just call or email him asking for the original M24 issue 1pc base he makes. They take #8 screws.

I think that pic with halo sight above the scope is SF shooter and that is a newer styling stock I think some Army snipers have been issued. I don't know if that's the M24A2 or if its still M24 designated. Remington Mil-M24 shows the many M24 variants they have added to there military/LE sales. I've seen pics of that longer rail and other pics with the McCann rail. There is a pic somwhere of a sniper with the heavy vertical grip HS stocked rifle with McCan rail and mounting an S&B

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That angled hole is interesting in the longer base! Does anyone here know if those longer extension bases were ever mounted to any 24 with the older style stock? </div></div>

That's what I was wondering...that, and the purpose of the angled hole.

After eight hours of set-up yesterday, the receiver is being laser engraved right here in the shop today. The guy who runs the laser said when he is done with it, it will be hard to tell any difference between being lasered and stamped after bead blasting it and finishing the barreled action. Crossing some fingers.

Is it possible to replace the rubber buttpad on your stock with a thinner Remington factory labeled one? I could be wrong but I think the Remington supplied M24s for the Army had a thinner pad on them(Remington labled). GAP either specially orders their HS stocks with the Remignton pad or they retrofit new pads for their M24 builds.

I've never installed or de-installed a recoil pad but if they're glued on it could be a hassle-cutting and scrapping required. Once most is off you could remove the residuals by lightly grinding a thin layer off the plastic spacer, than glue on the new pad and grind the pad to fit.

Funny thing about the butt pad. I have gone to bed more than a few nights wondering what to do about that. I'd rather have a Remington logo on it but didn't know if actual 24's do or not.

The pad on the HS stock is screwed on. I'll have a look.

Getting back to the butt pad, I guess I would be curious to know for sure one way or another what is used on an actual M24.

We have Remington logoed pads in stock.

the GAP m24 I sold to someone here on the Hide had the Remington logod pad. My GAP M24 wasn't totally spec in the sense that it didn't say M24 on the reciever, didn't have the spec epoxy finish, Obermeyer barrel rather than Remignton, trigger was not M24. The other details were spec and I'm sure that included the recoil pad. I remember asking about the buttpad way back when I ordered from GAP and George said that he had the longrange stocks in shop with the correct m24 pad.

If you want clarification on it I'd ask George at GAP or get a hold of Mel, founder of Snipercentral, as he carried the M24 in the Guard years back. From what I know all the rifles had the remington pad, it may be possible some had unbranded pads but that would be speculative. Those posting great M24 photos here on this thread, tell us what buttpad you had on your serviceM24s!

The next thing I need some help on is the overall finish of the barreled action. Anyone care to recommend a finish that most closely replicates the actual finish?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Backstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's what I was wondering...that, and the purpose of the angled hole.</div></div>
Where that hole is positioned is typically where a screw is used to bind against the receiver.
Just to be clear, that is not the original one piece base.

I won't be using that rail then. So if I ordered a Leupold MK4 one piece and their M30 rings, would I be closer to SPEC? I'll send the rail I've got to anyone who wants it...free.

The current Lupi rail is unlike the original rail. The original rail was a Weaver type one piece with I think 4 cross slots. The current Lupi Mk4 is a Pic type with cross slots the full length of the rail.
The rings are the Mk4 rings as well, but I don't think those have changed from the early types.
A current guy could probably give you what is in use now.

That's probably going to be the closest you will get and probably what is being used now in service.

Backstop, I'll save you some time and tell you not to order that base. I recently did the same thing, but all the websites that advertise the old-style 1-piece base from Leupold just haven't updated the picture. You will receive the full-picatinny rail base, guaranteed. That's what happened to me. I contacted Leupold directly and they told me that the old-style base is no longer made.
The only other option I see is to get the Badger Ordnance M24 base. I just ordered mine from Triad. Or another option is to get the Leupold 2-piece base, which is what Remington supplies with the M24 in their SWS. Hope I saved you some money in return shipping charges. HAGWE

Edit: Or third option: just use the base that you found in your shop.

This is what the old Lupis looked like.

mk4base.jpg

I don't know where you would find one now, unless you were able to locate some old stock.
You might try to see if Mike Lau has one. He had a ton of old crap in his shop at one time.
The only other thing I can think of is having one machined, but that probably won't be cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Backstop, I'll save you some time and tell you not to order that base. I recently did the same thing, but all the websites that advertise the old-style 1-piece base from Leupold just haven't updated the picture. You will receive the full-picatinny rail base, guaranteed. That's what happened to me. I contacted Leupold directly and they told me that the old-style base is no longer made.
The only other option I see is to get the Badger Ordnance M24 base. I just ordered mine from Triad. Or another option is to get the Leupold 2-piece base, which is what Remington supplies with the M24 in their SWS. Hope I saved you some money in return shipping charges. HAGWE

Edit: Or third option: just use the base that you found in your shop. </div></div>

Extremely useful; thank you! I'll check Triad first.

Well, I said WTF and figured I'd just cut the butt pad down on the one that came with the stock. Looks right to me. I just need to straighten the edges and re-adhere the rubber to the aluminum. I'll go with it until I can get confirmation of whether or not a Remington logoed pad is used on the real meal deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI, mine is Remington logoed. It's "real meal deal". </div></div>

Rhongman,
Any chance you could snap a couple of shots of that pad & post here?? Would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Laser engraving is done and it looks FREAKING SOLID!!! Gonna give it a light bead blast then will post a couple pics.

I'll try to post a pic by tomorrow. To be honest, i've been too lazy to set up a photo account. I'm pretty sure that's what I have to do, right? It will be my first time posting a picture. This should be interesting!

Here's how...
1. go to "Imageshack"
2. click "browse," find the file you wanna load.
3. Click "upload."
4. wait for the page to refresh/reload.
5. when it does, scroll down to "forum" and highlight the text of the address code in the box next to the word forum. Just double click on the line of text. It will highlight.
6. once highlighted, right-click on the highlighted text and go to "copy"
7. now paste the line of text in the Hide's reply box.
8. Hit submit.
9. Done.

no account needed.

GOOD GAWD, that thing is gorgeous.

Here's my receiver fresh off the laser. The blackness of the letters is caused by the burn of the steel. I'll clean it up with the bead blaster.

Better than I imagined!!

That looks really good! Mine doesn't have the "U.S." on the receiver. Wish it did though. Looks great, can't wait to see the finished rifle.

Where did you get yours?

If it says "MODEL 700 M24" it <span style="font-style: italic">SHOULD</span> say "U.S."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Backstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you get yours?

If it says "MODEL 700 M24" it <span style="font-style: italic">SHOULD</span> say "U.S." </div></div>

Shouldn't it?? Maybe I've entirely misunderstood what I've been reading. Can someone say for sure about the U.S. stamp?

OK, go back to my post on page 5 showing up-close pics of a factory "civilian / LE" non-military issue M24. No U.S. stamp on a civilian M24. If you're building a clone to match military then stamp it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Backstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Backstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you get yours?

If it says "MODEL 700 M24" it <span style="font-style: italic">SHOULD</span> say "U.S." </div></div>

Shouldn't it?? Maybe I've entirely misunderstood what I've been reading. Can someone say for sure about the U.S. stamp? </div></div>

Rhongman, I owe you an apology. it didn't even cross my mind that yours would have been a civilian M24. Damn, I feel like a fucktard. I just re-read my response to your comment and can now see how assuming that sounded.

Remington Military leases non- military contract M24s to units for their Iraq/Afghan rotations (if the service didn't or can't provide a bolt gun). They should have the "Remington 700 M24" stamp without the "US" over the serial (as do export versions of the rifle).

When the weapons come back they do a complete technical inspection and go back into the lease pool. They are then available for lease again, or for private sale (after very little actual shooting, some sitting in rifle racks, and perhaps a little handling and normal in-and-out of vehicle wear-and-tear).

As a 67 tango, there really wasn't ever a chance to see how things go when it comes to back and forth transfer of equipment. I have the ultimate respect for you guys on the ground in the thick of it all. A good friend is 11 bravo with 80-duece and like what you just said about stuff going back and forth, he's a walking encyclopedia of the same sort of knowledge too. Blows my mind.

Working in a gun shop, I see serious old-timers from waaaay back who will walk in here and bend your ear for a month of Sundays until you're blue in the face about a Springfield 1903 this, that, and the other - what was correct, what wasn't; who had 'em, who didn't and so on. I've read through a number of the better books on current weapon systems and unless the book is specifically dedicated to a specific platform, it seems like only a page or two is written about one or the other - always in vague detail. In the case of the M24, other than what is commonly known from the web, the books out there really don't go into much detail.

In essence, it's guys like yourself, who are writing the history of the thing in real-time. Hopefully sixty years from now, there will be a few old-timers who can still shed a little light on the history of the M24. The reason I say this is because the average guy that walks into this gun shop (we're 20 minutes from Ft. Lewis)has absolutely no idea that an M24 even exists - and there are some pretty hardcore Big Green fanatics in the Pacific Northwest. You show them Remington's Military website and the M24 there and, well, you get the idea.

Thanks, for all of the info from everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Backstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't be using that rail then. So if I ordered a Leupold MK4 one piece and their M30 rings, would I be closer to SPEC? I'll send the rail I've got to anyone who wants it...free. </div></div>

Get a hold of Marty Bordson at Badger Ordnance. Ask him if he has the "old original issue" style 1pc base for M24. He'll know what your talking about. GAP and Badger Ord both share facilities I belive as the address is the same for both companies. GAP has the M24 in their catalogue, my guess is Marty plans to keep producing the old 1pcer if GAP continues to do M24 builds. I can't remember what the model numbers are, Badger's standard steel 1pc long action picatinny is I think #306-07? The special M24 issue base is #306-07M24. There may be dissagreement on the history of the base, but Marty said that he has made many of these bases for the Army's M24. How many are his bases and how many were Ultra or Leupold I don't know. Marty claims that Leupold never made the base in house but they were made by someone else and branded as Leupold or Ultra. Lwupold quit selling them when the other company went away. Now Leupold only sells the two pc setup for low mounting.
Others have posted here and elsewhere about Army usage of the two pc setup, I don't have any knowledge on how common those are in the Army.

The rings are a tuff call. You might be able to find the old Ultra rings on Ebay(and the old base for that matter) but to me Badger's rings are the closest look to the old style rings. It would seem that if the Army needs to replace rings they probably would get the newer Mk4 or maybe some other brand so it may not be incorrect to have the newer mk4s. I just say the Badger rings are available(std steel 30mm lowest height ava.) and these are the closest in appearence to the original issue ring if you don't want to search for originals.

I must mention regarding the buttpad, I looked at my old Badger Ordnance Calender of sniper rifles from 2007-2008 and the featured M24 in the back has a thin Remington logod buttpad. the rifle featured is part of Marty or someone else' collection, it is full issue kit as advertised on Remington's website and as described regarding the Army issue kit, so my guess is the rifle is the real deal rather than a clone. In short, I'm pretty damn sure the issue M24s had Remington logod thin rubber pads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762slinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is what the old Lupis looked like.

mk4base.jpg

I don't know where you would find one now, unless you were able to locate some old stock.
You might try to see if Mike Lau has one. He had a ton of old crap in his shop at one time.
The only other thing I can think of is having one machined, but that probably won't be cheap. </div></div>

The base Badger Ordnance sells has square corners in the loading cutout, however if your good with girnders and such, the corners of the Badger base could be rounded to look like the base 762Slinger has posted here. Again maybe not an issue if you Consider that Marty has told me his Gadger ord bases have been issued on M24s for the Army. I love the rear sight base! Different from the other bases I've seen with the angle along top for ring clearance. If going the route of using the Badger Ordnace base, make sure your receiver top is drilled for #8 screws as all his bases use the larger #8s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Backstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">762slinger,

Found these at optics planet. 4 cross slots. What do you think??

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-mark-4-1pc-1-piece-2pc-2-piece-tactical-bases.html </div></div>

Not to rain on anyone's parade but I called these guys about the sales image a while back and they said the 1pc they sell is Leupold's newest full length piccatiny, not the old 4-slot weaver pictured here. If the Army is using the new Leupy base and rings, I'd say go that route unless your wanting the older issue look.

I think the mount shown back up the page could be a KAC item.

Compare the OP's pic to the older KAC cataloge.

KACbasemount.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Backstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Backstop, absolutely no apology is needed! When I first got my M24 I was a little bummed that the "U.S." wasn't there, but I did a little research and a lot of military photos from recent times didn't have it either, so I really don't care anymore. I just shoot it and enjoy it.

Yep, at the end of the day when it comes right down to it, it doesn't make a danged difference to the barreled action what it says on the side. Figured while I was into it for a build, I'd do it up.