• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Barrel fouling question

XLR308

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2018
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    This seemed like the best forum to ask the question.
    Im not even close to as versed as many of you when it comes to custom barrels so have kind of a stupid question.
    I installed a Bartlien 5R with 7.5" twist in 6.5 Creedmoor into a Kelbly Atlas action and broke it in for lack of a better word. Innitially i shot 15 rounds of factory ammo only without any cleaning just sighted and shot a few groups since i was mainly entertaining my youngest son and loading magazines most of the day for him.
    In the last .5"-.750" of barrel right at the muzzle i am seeing streaks of copper and can only guess that it is from gas cutting just as the bullet is leaving the muzzle but only a guess.
    I cleaned the barrel with Hoppes #9 to remove powder then did a pass with SWEETS just to see if there was much copper at all in the barrel.
    I got very little copper indication so did a second pass with SWEETS and it wiped out the majority of what was at the muzzle with almost no indication on the patch so called it good.
    Overall extreamly happy with the non existent fouling on a newly chambered barrel just curious what would cause the copper streaks at the muzzle.

The theory with a new barrel is that the rough throat (perpendicular cut from the reamer) scrubs jacket material off the bullet in a vapor or dust, which lays down at the other end of the bore. Then gets shot over on subsequent rounds. This is the basis for doing shoot and clean break-in procedures.

As you found out, it cleaned right up. Not gas cutting, and nothing to worry about.

I will remeber that going forward.
    Really wasn't worried about it considering how very little copper indication I got from the Sweets and didn't do the shoot one and clean method.
    Just fired one shot at steel and used the reticle to measure and make an adjustment and ran with it from there.
    Guess it's somewhat of a testament to the quality of the Bartlien barrel and the chambering job that Kelblys did.
    Was hoping to do a work up today with the 150smk until I pulled the seater plug from my Redding die and checked the fit. Will be ordering a VLD stem this evening.

Good barrels usually equal low break in drama.

As in no break in at all and a relaxed cleaning regiment.

Reactions: XLR308
    Good barrels usually equal low break in drama.

As in no break in at all and a relaxed cleaning regiment.

I admit I am new to good barrels but not accurate barrels.
    I have had several factory rifles over the years that were amazingly accurate but fouled something terrible.
    After my last range trip I couldn't help but do a quick clean on the two new 6.5 barrels I have been shooting. The Bartlien 7.5" twist took three wet patches of Hoppes #9 and the fourth came out clean and the Schnieder 1-8" took four wet patches neither were brushed at all and I saw zero indication of any progression with the copper streaking originally noted on the Bartlien.

I admit I am new to good barrels but not accurate barrels.
    I have had several factory rifles over the years that were amazingly accurate but fouled something terrible.
    After my last range trip I couldn't help but do a quick clean on the two new 6.5 barrels I have been shooting. The Bartlien 7.5" twist took three wet patches of Hoppes #9 and the fourth came out clean and the Schnieder 1-8" took four wet patches neither were brushed at all and I saw zero indication of any progression with the copper streaking originally noted on the Bartlien.

Similar findings with factory barrels.

My last few barrels were Shilens.
    Love how clean the stay and drama free they are.
    I’m now awaiting my first cut rifled barrel.
    I’m giddy.

Reactions: XLR308
    Similar findings with factory barrels.

My last few barrels we’re Shilens.
    Love how clean the stay and drama free they are.
    I’m now awaiting my first cut rifled barrel.
    I’m giddy.

If you dont mind me asking what manufacturer did you go with for your cut rifled blank ?