• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Bedding a sps with hogue stock

mattr25

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2012
sc
I was wondering if anyone has bedded a Remington 700 sps with the rubber hogue stock. I am thinking of getting one of the DIY kits and trying my luck at it or just getting another stock and having it professionally bedded. Just wanting some opinions.

Re: Bedding a sps with hogue stock

The problem with the Hogue is not in the bedding area. It's in the forend. To get the most out of the stock you need to figure out how to get the forend to stop flexing and touching the barrel.

Several guys have filled the forend with epoxy, arrow shafts, aluminum bracing, etc. and gotten acceptable (for them) results.

If you have the time and don't care about wasting a little bit of money, then give it a go. You can also try shimming the action before bedding to give yourself a little extra clearance in the barrel channel. If you are epoxy bedding, then when you are done there won't be any additional stress on the action.

Your best bet is your second option---a different stock and getting it professionally done.

The cost of the bedding material is worth more than the stock you'd be putting it in.

Go with the new stock. Maybe then you can keep up with the way Bryan shoots.

Looks like we have a comedian on our hands!

Any recommendations on the best stock for the money?

There are plenty of stocks that come up for sale in the classifieds, which may save you a few bucks. Going new, I would suggest a Manners T-5A w/mini chassis, that's what I put my SPS tactical in. It is THE most comfortable stock I've shot!

Thanks Engine22 I will check one out. Its good to hear that you have the same gun in that stock and you really like it. Did you have it bedded or have to do much fitting?

One of the cheaper HS Precisions would be a much better option and really easy to bed. However if you are going to go the whole hog then go with a Manners as Engine suggests, they really are superb. I've just ordered my second, this one being a T5 for a .338.

The price looks better on the HS Precision! I guess you get what you pay for. I like the HS Precision M24 anyone have one?

I was going to try and but an arrow shaft in the forearm of my sps-v and drop an whidden v-block in it....that was the plan anyway.....then i found a used LH hs precision stock and plans changed!

I chose not to bed by way of the mini chassis. Yep, the cost is higher than other options, but you get what you pay for IMO. Good luck!

I've reinforced a couple Savage stocks, back when it seemed that I had more time than money (in reality, I have very little of each). It worked in the sense that I got enough consistency of contact between the action and the stock, and enough stiffness from the stock, that I could get out to the range and practice the fundamentals. In that regard, it was a successful experiment. If someone has a bit of time on their hands, this can also be a good way to learn how to sling some epoxy.

Later, I moved to what I'd consider "mid-range" stocks such as B&C and Choate. These worked well without much modification. What they give up to a higher-end stock was typically in areas such as robustness and weight (often forcing a compromise between those two factors). These were still very serviceable components, and I'd still consider them for several applications.

Finally, I saw the light upon purchasing my first high-end rifle began to understand the virtues of components from folks like Manners. A stock like this - and the labor that is often required to make it work - is not cheap. It's also not strictly necessary. But for at least one rifle in the collection, it's nice to have the best furniture that money can buy.

Good luck!

I've done a hogue stock, you can add a small aluminum rod and marine tex in the front channel of the stock it works and fairly cheap but if you can just buy a take off hs stock

I just purchased a HS Precision M24 A1. I was looking for some suggestions on bottom metal. I thougt about the HS Prescision bottom metal but I haven't heard anything about them.

Just bolt it in and go shoot. Unless you are shooting tactical matches you won't need anything else.

I may do some tactical matches. I am looking for a detachable magazine.

My current favorite R700 DBM is the Surgeon product. I have also used Badger and CDI with good results.

I have a CDI on my M24.and a surgeon on my M40 A4
You can call CDI and he will even inlet it for you, can't beat it for the money.

Did you have him inlet it for you? Did you see how close it was out of the box?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattr25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you have him inlet it for you? Did you see how close it was out of the box? </div></div>
No he didn't do mine,at the time I didn't know he did inletting. None of the DBM you will find will fit a bdl inletted stock.

Just call Jeff at CDI, he will take care of you.
Just ask anybody.

I like surgeon alot, but i love my seekins dbm

I second what you yourself and others have said. You'll be much better off buying an aftermarket stock and having it bedded or just running it as is if you go with a drop in like HS precision or Bell and Carlson. Putting money into the factory Hogue stock wont be worth the money and on resale I doubt you'd recoupe any of it. Really all it would be is a band aid to the problem. I have a Bell and Carlson Medalist with a factory 20" SPS tactical barreled action dropped in. Its not bedded has factory trigger etc basically unmodified and in that stock its a half minute gun

Bed it. Learn something.
Shoot it, learn more.

Then replace the stock if you still desire after putting only $30 into bedding lessons.

Be mindful of the bolt handle recess and barrel channel. The rear of the bolt handle often hits. It needs to be relieved. Just like you want the barrel floating.

I agree with keith, spend the $30 and bed it. It can't hurt it and the bedding lesson will be well used when you plunk down the cheese on a higher end stock later and want to bed that one. Depending on the bedding kit you buy, you'll probably have enough bedding material left over to do your next one and you'll be that much more comfortable doing it.

I like to use push rods from v8 engines to stiffen up my stocks forearms, they are super strong and usually laying all over the place at junkyards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sbcracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like to use push rods from v8 engines to stiffen up my stocks forearms, they are super strong and usually laying all over the place at junkyards. </div></div>

I've bedded a file into a forearm that went from just in front of the lug, to just behind the first sling stud. I bed the fronts of lugs. I only relieve the sides and bottom of the lug. So there's solid contact from front of mag well to the front of the stock. Not sure if it helps anything but it definitely doesn't hurt.
Did it to a Mcmillan stock and was very surprised at how much it stiffened the already stiff stock.