• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding Action without Barrel

rm76

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2006
East Tx
Guys, I have a McMillan stock inletted specifically for a Surgeon action, with pillars installed by McMillan. The stock is also inletted for my barrel. I am considering skim bedding the action (with integral recoil lug) before I fit my barrel to the action. Any reason why you wouldn't recommend this? I have only bedded barreled actions, but since I trust McMillan has inletted the stock properly to float my barrel, and I dont plan to bed in front of the recoil lug, I dont see a down side -- but it would be easier to do before I fitted the barrel.

2. Also, with the pillars already installed, I should snug the action down to the pillars with guard screws while bedding hardens -- right?

Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Bedding Action without Barrel

and make sure you use a LOT of separating agent!!!

Long as it doesn't go as high as the empty hole where the barrel goes I don't see a problem with it...you are bedding the action not the barrel...

But I'm not a gunsmith, just makes sense to me..

that sure would make for one hell of a stress free bedding job! no weight of the barrel to stress the action! I say go for it!

I did this with my Rem 700 SA...
I was waiting on the barrel to show up, so I bedded the action and then bedded the barrel section after it was chambered...
shoots well...FWIW
Andy

I'd want the barrel to sit perfectly centered in the barrel channel ... so I'd wait.

The most important part of the bedding besides the action to stock contact is the back of the recoil lug and it's contact to the stock.
How are you going to capture the recoil lug?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The most important part of the bedding besides the action to stock contact is the back of the recoil lug and it's contact to the stock.
How are you going to capture the recoil lug? </div></div>

He said its a Surgeon. It has a recoil lug intigrated into the action.

I would wait til it was barreled.

Unless it's an RSR, the lug is integral. Not an issue.

I'd wait on the barrel. Installed, it will insure the entire unit is aligned properly with the stock.

I agree with the above. If you bed the action without the barrel, the odds favor a misalignment between barrel/bore axis and barrel channel axis.

Better to start with a fairly broad barrel channel clearance, wrap the barrel with a specific thickness of cladding, and bed the action and wrapped barrel in one shot. Guarantees a perfectly centered barrel.

Greg

Thanks for the comments guys! It seems the consensus is bed the action with the barrel fitted. I understand needing to make sure the barrel is well centered in the barrel channel, but with the action inletted to my receiver and the pillars already installed (by McMillan) I dont see where there is room to position the action anyplace but where it sits when snugged to the pillars. If the barrel channel is not already centered in relation to the action inlet (and pillars), then I dont understand how having the barrel attached will make any difference. The action has to be centered over the pillars. If I wait until the barrel is fitted to the action and then tape the barrel to fit centered in the barrel channel, then if the all is not centered with the pillars, then I would have a poorly bedded action. Right? It seems the only advantage I would have in waiting is to make sure all in centered before bedding -- but if it wasn't, then my only recourse would be to send the stock back to McMillan before bedding. Am I missing something?

Oh, and the recoil lug is integral to this action.

I'm really not certain about this, but I'm thinking that between the clearances involved in a generic inlet, and the bolt/pillar clearances common with bedding pillars, you should still have enough 'wiggle room' (and eventual action screw clearance) to get the barrel properly centered in the barrel channel when performing the bedding chore.

Don't get me wrong, I had good accuracy from a standard inletted (but deliberately not bedded) A5 with several barreled actions of the same model and barrel diameter; but bedding was still finally accomplished with the freedom to still properly center the barrel in the channel.

Personally, I think you'll do just fine (and maybe a lot better) if you wait until the barrel is installed before doing the bedding.

That's what I'd definitely do. I've bedded some rifles, not a ton, but probably enough to get a feel for these sorts of things...

The only time I ever went for a pillar bedded rifle, I sent the barreled action to McMillan and had them do the task. If I were you and I was getting all these neato parts together, that's what I'd do... Helluva way to buy great parts, and then leave the final assembly to less than the best approach. For this process, with a McMillan stock, nobody does this better. This I can say from my own experience.

Greg

Well, this inlet is not really generic. It is inletted for the Surgeon SA, but of course not to my specific Surgeon action. However there may be some minute wiggle room, but it feels really tight. I probably should wait until the barrel is fitted, but it sure seems like it would be easier and neater to do before the barrel is attached. To be safe though, I think I'll wait.

I would be curious though to learn if others have done this (bedded the action before barrel was fitted) will ill effects.

Well, do what you think is right, but understand; if you can't wait, you may be passing up the possibility of later options.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rm76</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the comments guys! It seems the consensus is bed the action with the barrel fitted. I understand needing to make sure the barrel is well centered in the barrel channel, but with the action inletted to my receiver and the pillars already installed (by McMillan) I dont see where there is room to position the action anyplace but where it sits when snugged to the pillars.</div></div>

You are missing that the pillar inside diameter is usually a full 1/16" larger than the action screws.
There's wiggle room in there to perfectly center the barrel in the stock's channel while the bedding is setting up.
Don't rely on the inlet being perfectly aligned to the barrel channel.
Certainly don't rely on the screws locating the action in the pillars.

I'd wait for the barrel, by experience the barrel channels and action inlet aren't always milled as close to center line of the stock as is desirable, also the pillars aren't nesseceraly in right and are on the thin side.
personaly i'd drill out the pillars and start the whole process of bedding over again, and do it with the barreled action.

regards Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd want the barrel to sit perfectly centered in the barrel channel ... so I'd wait. </div></div>

That's what I was thinking......

Keith

Glad to hear you decided to wait, that is the best option.

Yeah, you guys are right, I will wait and do it right. A small fraction of wiggle room at the pillars can translate into a significant amount of play at the foreend of the stock within the barrel channel. I know McMillan has their inletting processes down pretty well, but I don't think I that trusting. As you all (for the most part) indicate, it will be better to bed the barreled action, which I will do. Thanks.

I will trust that McMillan's pillars will suffice, but if I'm not satisfied I can alwasys redo that later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rm76</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know McMillan has their inletting processes down pretty well</div></div>

The last 2 MCM A5's I ordered had the Badger M5 sitting .040" proud of the stock bottom. A few phone calls later, It was explained to me that MCM usually shoots for inlets to be about .050" within their specs. So, the M5, was technically in spec, but I didn't like it.

When I had it all bedded, I had the bottom metal inlet dug deeper, which pushed up the action .040" because they have to be a certain distance apart for proper feeding.

Mine seems to be a perfect fit. Badger fits flush and just enough clearance between it and the action. We'll see on the barrel channel.

I suppose if you really wanted to bed the action earlier you could make up a 3 or 4 inch rod in the same thread and body dimensions as the chamber end of the rifle barrel, screw it into the action threads, then tape around the rod would center the action and allow you to bed the rifle without a barrel..

of course, this is just an idle thought and for all I know is completely stupid...