• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bergara B-14 HMR vs Browning XBolt MAX LR vs Savage 110 High Country

Scottyman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2008
Maine
Like the "HMR" suggests, I'd like a double duty long range rifle. Weight is not too much of a concern. I need to keep the price under $1200.
I really like the Bergara stock with it's internal aluminum bedding skirt and the Browning's stock too, but it looks like it doesn't have any internal bedding block like the Savage and Bergara do. In fact, nothing is mentioned about how the action is bedded to the stock on the Browning site. The shorter 60 degree bolt lift is nice. Never been a Savage fan, but heard they're better than they used to be. Floating bolt head is really nice
Likely will be in either 28 Nosler or 300 WM. Haven't decided. So, a good solid action/stock mating surface is really important.

I loved my browning xbolt. I got it when they first came out, all of them were glass bedded so I assume that hasn't changed.

But of those two you should get the HMR. Way more aftermarket for when you change your mind on triggers, stocks etc.

Edit: xbolt was a basic synthetic modle.

Wouldn't consider spending more than $300 on a savage.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I have a Savage 110 Tactical 24" 308.
With hand-loads I get .25" groups at 100 yards.
It has the internal aluminum bedding as well. That is actually why I got it.
All in all I love the thing.
She' muh baybeh.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Savage is easy to rebarrel, but they generally all shoot really well anyways.

Browning is hit or miss. They generally look great but the accuracy rifle to rifle is no guarantee.

Bergara stuff will all shoot well, and you have to look very hard to find anyone complaining about them.

Reactions: Average guy
I just picked up a BPR17-65C on clearance at Bass Pro for the price of the HMR. It has the gen 1 XLR chassis. So far I like it. Glass should be here tomorrow. I hope to break in the barrel on Sunday afternoon if not tomorrow.
20200506_184022.jpg

Reactions: Jackomason