• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara sucks ass, buyer beware.

I am aware that my experience is not the same as yours. So, my good luck with Bergara has no bearing on your problem. That being said, I own two of them. A B14 HMR in 300 WM that has shot 3/4" at 200 yards with 200gr ELD-X's for a three shot group and will stack them into the same hole at 100yds all day, hot barrel or cold.

This gun shot like pure shit when I got it. Turns out Leupold makes a shitty scope. It was a very high end Leupold that a big spending shooter took off of his fancy hunting rifle after two weeks and sold off at the LGS. I sent it to Leupold and they fixed it, no problem and it is now on another rifle doing great work.

The second Bergara is a B14 R, 22 rimfire. It has that Leupold scope on it and I use it at the rifle club for their 100yd bench rest 22 matches. All of the retired guys do this once a week. I cannot whip the Vudoo Rifle fuckers who spent $4000 on a rifle, $3000 on a scope and $2000 on a benchrest rifle rest to win a rubber duck once a week. But on a B 16 25 yd pistol slow fire target which has a .7" X-ring and a 1.5" 10 ring It easily holds the 10 ring 45/50 with 15/20 X's. The wind causes the 9's.

Maybe it is time to check the scope and to check your temper. Your story paints a picture of a nutbag sitting at the range screaming and throwing shit. Sitting at the range screaming like a loon and blasting away makes you look insane. If it did not shoot how you wanted the first 30 times, stop fucking shooting and send it back with more detailed information or sell it.

I don't waste this much time on a gun that don't shoot. If it sucked after 60 rounds it would go down the road. I had a shitty Remington 1911 that the slide stop was literally shaving metal off the slide. A lot of metal, like no hardening amounts of metal. The sent an RMA, replaced the top half and when they returned it, I sold it without ever firing it again. Same goes for any other turd.

Why put this much effort into a gun you hate from a company you hate? Move on, new subject.

Last edited:
I know this not to be the issue based on the compression strength of the pad, but let’s just assume for a moment that this is indeed causing the accuracy problems.

So I’ll ask you too, when the receiver is so out of spec that there has to be bedding built up to not warp the rail and in turn not bend the scope tube and fuck up mounting, what are you supposed to do? This has been common practice for decades and as I’ve said I’ve done it hundreds of times without issue.

Are you expected to have a gunsmith make a custom mount for a rifle that’s advertised as being compatible with R700 bases?

Even if you want to look at it from that angle it still points back to the fucking rifle being defective.

Back to the “issue” of the bedding pad on the front of the rail that has over 9000psi of compression strength, those two little 6-48 screws in the front have about 800psi of clamping force combined. I know it’s probably hard for your little brain to understand how both of these work but if you try really hard you might understand how those screws giving in some way (especially from stress from pulling the rail down and NOT being bedded) would cause an issue long before the bedding pad. Those little screws are the standard on R700’s and a lot of other rifles and other than in severe circumstances quite clearly are enough. Not to mention that front pad is also bonded to the action and has over 3100psi of tensile strength holding it together, or nearly 4 times the strength of those two little screws.

So please tell me more about how that bedding pad is causing my problems 😂
Tensile strength
Compression strength
Shear strength

Go do some homework.

I am aware that my experience is not the same as yours. So, my good luck with Bergara has no bearing on your problem. That being said, I own two of them. A B14 HMR in 300 WM that has shot 3/4" at 200 yards with 200gr ELD-X's for a three shot group and will stack them into the same hole at 100yds all day, hot barrel or cold.

This gun shot like pure shit when I got it. Turns out Leupold makes a shitty scope. It was a very high end Leupold that a big spending shooter took off of his fancy hunting rifle after two weeks and sold off at the LGS. I sent it to Leupold and they fixed it, no problem and it is now on another rifle doing great work.

The second Bergara is a B14 R, 22 rimfire. It has that Leupold scope on it and I use it at the rifle club for their 100yd bench rest 22 matches. All of the retired guys do this once a week. I cannot whip the Vudoo Rifle fuckers who spent $4000 on a rifle, $3000 on a scope and $2000 on a benchrest rifle rest to win a rubber duck once a week. But on a B 16 25 yd pistol slow fire target which has a .7" X-ring and a 1.5" 10 ring It easily holds the 10 ring 45/50 with 15/20 X's. The wind causes the 9's.

Maybe it is time to check the scope and to check your temper. Your story paints a picture of a nutbag sitting at the range screaming and throwing shit. Sitting at the range screaming like a loon and blasting away makes you look insane. If it did not shoot how you wanted the first 30 times, stop fucking shooting and send it back with more detailed information or sell it.
In the op he did switch scopes and he did send it back and was told it was fine. Is bergara stone walling who knows. And what can you do if they are.

Reactions: redneckbmxer24
Sorry couldn’t resist. Here you go red fellow. Plenty more for you to hate.

IMG_3244.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Darryle
Tensile strength
Compression strength
Shear strength

Go do some homework.

I'm familiar with all of those. I didn't have to do the homework though, my girlfriend who's a PE did it for me. Is she wrong too?

Or do you just need me to better explain to you how that works with the screws CLAMPING the rail down and COMPRESSING the rail on the pad and action?

When you run a bronze brush through the bore, do you feel any rough areas or areas of greater resistance or is it smooth and perfectly uniform from chamber to crown?

All I have is that bergara strikes me as the MIMber of the rifle world. Some guys fall for, and pay for the big marketing budgets pushing mediocre guns at higher prices and then are feverishly defensive of their purchases. If you're happy that's all that matters. If you're not, return it and use your money to buy higher quality instead of paying for the marketing bullshit.

I'm familiar with all of those. I didn't have to do the homework though, my girlfriend who's a PE did it for me. Is she wrong too?

Or do you just need me to better explain to you how that works with the screws CLAMPING the rail down and COMPRESSING the rail on the pad and action?
Ok. And to be clear there is about 0.06” of jbWeld as a “spacer” to epoxy the forward section base down? Or do I have reading comprehension issues?

When you run a bronze brush through the bore, do you feel any rough areas or areas of greater resistance or is it smooth and perfectly uniform from chamber to crown?

Once you get all of the copper out which is a process in itself it's smooth. Tight fitting patches also go down the bore very smooth once clean.

Ok. And to be clear there is about 0.06” of jbWeld as a “spacer” to epoxy the forward section base down? Or do I have reading comprehension issues?

I was mistaken on that, the gap measured .0365" with the rear of the base snugged down. JB Kwik was used as it has a higher compression strength.

Reactions: Makinchips208
Have not read all the replies but I have a 18" premier in 308 that has been flawless, got it on sale for $1100. Also have a buddy that has a B-14 that has been the same. Mine is 5 years old, his is about 3. Both shoot under a 1" all day.

Maybe my source is not as good?

Website lists:

JB Weld tensile strength 5020 PSI

KwikWeld tensile strength 3127 PSI

And I'm the one that needs to go do my homework on the differences between compression strength, tensile strength, and shear strength.

Jesus christ.

Are you guys fucking with me with these types of replies, or is this for real?

Where was this Mike Brown (like I’m supposed to know who that is?) when ASM1 called me out claiming I didn’t send him what was advertised? Weird that guy never surfaced to validate his claims.

You’re the only one digging a hole here rehashing old shit that doesn’t even exist on the forum anymore trying to somehow invalidate my claims that this rifle is fucked up. Why has this never come up before in over a decade and you chose to bring it up now?
Mike was just one of the guys who shot HardRock with us, and was on here before scout. His rodeos are his, not mine. I'm not digging a hole, court room facts, are just that. In fact I hope you do go to court to try and recoup what you say you have standing in.

And I'm the one that needs to go do my homework on the differences between compression strength, tensile strength, and shear strength.

Jesus christ.

Are you guys fucking with me with these types of replies, or is this for real?
You said tensile strength was like 9000 PSI.
Many times you said JB Kwik was stronger.

I’m seeing that tensile strength is about 1/3 of what you claimed. And weaker than the original weld.

Either way I don’t think the JBWeld is the problem. I think I see the problem…

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mwalex
Looks like you have three options: fight with Bergara, cryo the barreled action, or rebarrel. The last one is a proven winner. The first one will give you a stroke. The middle one might work and is cheap, especially since you think it’s a stress issue.

Reactions: Im2bent and lariat

I’m seeing that tensile strength is about 1/3 of what you claimed. And weaker than the original weld.

I did?

Here's the post you quoted to refresh your memory:

I know this not to be the issue based on the compression strength of the pad, but let’s just assume for a moment that this is indeed causing the accuracy problems.

So I’ll ask you too, when the receiver is so out of spec that there has to be bedding built up to not warp the rail and in turn not bend the scope tube and fuck up mounting, what are you supposed to do? This has been common practice for decades and as I’ve said I’ve done it hundreds of times without issue.

Are you expected to have a gunsmith make a custom mount for a rifle that’s advertised as being compatible with R700 bases?

Even if you want to look at it from that angle it still points back to the fucking rifle being defective.

Back to the “issue” of the bedding pad on the front of the rail that has over 9000psi of compression strength, those two little 6-48 screws in the front have about 800psi of clamping force combined. I know it’s probably hard for your little brain to understand how both of these work but if you try really hard you might understand how those screws giving in some way (especially from stress from pulling the rail down and NOT being bedded) would cause an issue long before the bedding pad. Those little screws are the standard on R700’s and a lot of other rifles and other than in severe circumstances quite clearly are enough. Not to mention that front pad is also bonded to the action and has over 3100psi of tensile strength holding it together, or nearly 4 times the strength of those two little screws.

So please tell me more about how that bedding pad is causing my problems 😂

So I'll ask again. Are you fucking with me or are you for real?

I was mistaken on that,

Yes you were

the gap measured .0365" with the rear of the base snugged down. JB Kwik was used as it has a higher compression strength.

I use metal infused epoxies almost everyday, inspection and engineering would balk at a .0365" bond line, they want to see a single layer at .006"

Would you accept a custom rifle that the front of the receiver was that far out of spec.

In fact, does anyone have a 700/Clone/Bergara drawing?

For real, honest questions.

Good luck.

Perhaps you should take your own advice and get back to me since you clearly don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about.

Tensile strength
Compression strength
Shear strength

Go do some homework.

Yes you were

I use metal infused epoxies almost everyday, inspection and engineering would balk at a .0365" bond line, they want to see a single layer at .006"

Would you accept a custom rifle that the front of the receiver was that far out of spec.

In fact, does anyone have a 700/Clone/Bergara drawing?

There's simply no way to achieve .006" fitment across applications like this. If you take a bunch of R700's and several high quality bases you'll see an average of .010-.020" gap under the rear of the rail. I can't remember mounting a single rail on a R700 that didn't have a gap. Add into that the tolerances and specs of all the different actions that take R700 stuff and then the different rail manufacturers...

This isn't a custom rifle and that would never be acceptable on one. On what's really a low-mid grade factory rifle I can forgive stuff like that because I've seen enough of the same problem and remedied them all with positive outcomes that it's not of concern to me. It's not worth it to try to get the manufacturer to do something about that when they'll just blame it on the aftermarket rail and say their rifle is fine. Also like the excessive paint buildup in the inlet wasn't of concern because I can fix that too. Should I have to? Probably not but that's the way it is in the world of consumer goods making shit as cheap as possible for max profit. You either pay the price for top shelf shit or buy cheaper stuff with the understanding that it's probably not going to be perfect and hope you at least get a polishable turd.

Perhaps you should take your own advice and get back to me since you clearly don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about.

There's simply no way to achieve .006" fitment across applications like this. If you take a bunch of R700's and several high quality bases you'll see an average of .010-.020" gap under the rear of the rail. I can't remember mounting a single rail on a R700 that didn't have a gap. Add into that the tolerances and specs of all the different actions that take R700 stuff and then the different rail manufacturers...

This isn't a custom rifle and that would never be acceptable on one. On what's really a low-mid grade factory rifle I can forgive stuff like that because I've seen enough of the same problem and remedied them all with positive outcomes that it's not of concern to me. It's not worth it to try to get the manufacturer to do something about that when they'll just blame it on the aftermarket rail and say their rifle is fine. Also like the excessive paint buildup in the inlet wasn't of concern because I can fix that too. Should I have to? Probably not but that's the way it is in the world of consumer goods making shit as cheap as possible for max profit. You either pay the price for top shelf shit or buy cheaper stuff with the understanding that it's probably not going to be perfect and hope you at least get a polishable turd.

Here is a shovel. Just keep digging this retarded hole deeper.

61itLoCAIlL.jpg

You just negated the ranting argument of your entire thread with this one post. Polish your turd and move on to top shelf - as you said, that's the way it is in the world of consumer goods.

Reactions: WaltHer
If I couldn’t have bought a rail that actually fit the action, then I would have manufactured my own pic rail that actually fit, from scratch, from stress relieved bar stock.

Would have re drilled and tapped the action to take larger screws also.

And would not have relied on a girlfriend for info.

Then I might have done homework on what replacement barrel I would get.

If I couldn’t have bought a rail that actually fit the action, then I would have manufactured my own pic rail that actually fit, from scratch, from stress relieved bar stock.

This is 100% the answer.

Reactions: hangunnr
Serious question, did you see the build of paint on the inlet under the action that I have read about several times in researching this problem?

I haven't had a factory 700/7 action in years, I do have quite a few Defiance actions on builds and plenty of X-Bolts. I bed every single picatinny rail or now my favorite mounts for the lightweight X-Bolt rifles, Warne 2 piece and I don't see this issue manifest itself.

I also think a .010" + gap is excessive, but I don't have the experience to say verbatim it is, I only know what I have personal experience with. I know that I wouldn't accept that and I damn sure would not accept a .036" + gap.

I would like to see you buy a Bergara picatinny rail and give it a go, would eliminate the issue and at least mimic the conditions under which Bergara tested the rifle.

You just negated the ranting argument of your entire thread with this one post. Polish your turd and move on to top shelf - as you said, that's the way it is in the world of consumer goods.

So I’m your world it’s ok for a rifle guaranteed to shoot MOA to not. I didn’t negate a fucking thing, if a rifle has an accuracy guarantee it should meet it. Minor fitment issues here and there are completely irrelevant to that.

Totally unreasonable to have to machine a custom fit rail to an action advertised to work with standard R700 stuff. Rebarreling a $900 factory rifle is also retarded when you can buy an Origin or CDG for that.

It’s quite handy having a girlfriend that’s a PE at times. You’re clearly not an engineer either.

Serious question, did you see the build of paint on the inlet under the action that I have read about several times in researching this problem?

I haven't had a factory 700/7 action in years, I do have quite a few Defiance actions on builds and plenty of X-Bolts. I bed every single picatinny rail or now my favorite mounts for the lightweight X-Bolt rifles, Warne 2 piece and I don't see this issue manifest itself.

I also think a .010" + gap is excessive, but I don't have the experience to say verbatim it is, I only know what I have personal experience with. I know that I wouldn't accept that and I damn sure would not accept a .036" + gap.

I would like to see you buy a Bergara picatinny rail and give it a go, would eliminate the issue and at least mimic the conditions under which Bergara tested the rifle.

The paint buildup has been covered at least a few times. How many times do I need to repeat the same shit for people to still not get it?

This is 100% the answer.

If you think a $300-$400 custom fit rail on a rifle advertised to accept R700 rails and rebarreling a factory rifle that has an MOA guarantee that it won't meet is the answer or even remotely logical then you're a bigger idiot than I previously thought.

If you think a $300-$400 custom fit rail on a rifle advertised to accept R700 rails and rebarreling a factory rifle that has an MOA guarantee that it won't meet is the answer or even remotely logical then you're a bigger idiot than I previously thought.
Your are right, I have never heard of anyone rebarreling an action. Nope. Not common at all.

Last edited:
In this conversation (post 110), bicycle boy makes the claim that he has "fired hundreds of thousands of rounds". Well, that's absolutely bullshit. Anyone who hasn't been in combat arms in the military, (while a republican was in office so there was an ammo budget), or been a highly sponsored competition shooter for 20 years or more, or has a job, like ammo testing for an ammo company has not come anywhere near shooting "hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammo", not even close.

And then in post 186 he claims "to have bedded hundreds of R700 rails".

Unless he's a very active gunsmith, (and he's not), that's another bold faced lie.

One in a million rifles have bedded rails, (mainly because it's a complete waste of time for almost every situation).

His dishonesty is apparent every time he sticks his head up out of the mud, for those paying attention.
I have had to bed about 30% of the remington 700 bases I have seen. That would be 3 out 10. 3 warped actions out of 10 for me. Yes, base bedding or actions or bases that need it are pretty common.

No he said compression strength.

Your are right, I have never heard of anyone rebarreling an action. Nope. Not common at all.
So, rebarrel a rifle that won't shoot with a 1moa guarantee....that about as stupid as expecting to buy it cheap.

You think it's fine hecouldgoalltheway buy if for brand new price. Show us how good it shoots. Put your money where mouth is.

I am surprised to see a legitimate complaint moved to the pit rather than banning the jack asses fucking around in the wrong section.

• Haha
I have had to bed about 30% of the remington 700 bases I have seen. That would be 3 out 10. 3 warped actions out of 10 for me. Yes, base bedding or actions or bases that need it are pretty common.
I've never bedded one in my life. I own a dozen as a write this. I've owned several dozen. It's an unnecessary step for any rifle I've ever owned. But hey, if it helps you, rock on. To pretend he's done hundreds is bullshit. Did he pay you to come here and defend him, or is there another reason? Maybe you're just bored.

Reactions: Makinchips208
So, rebarrel a rifle that won't shoot with a 1moa guarantee....that about as stupid as expecting to buy it cheap.

You think it's fine hecouldgoalltheway buy if for brand new price. Show us how good it shoots. Put your money where mouth is.

I am surprised to see a legitimate complaint moved to the pit rather than banning the jack asses fucking around in the wrong section.
If he sent it in, they sent it back saying it shot less than MOA, what else is there to do other than sell it or rebuild it to something that shoots to his satisfaction? Going to small claims court will cause more pain and hassle in time, money and emotional baggage than just taking a turd and making it what is wanted. If Bergara kept records and can show that it did indeed shoot to inside MOA, regardless of what another gunsmith says, its going to be a losing battle that will only cause more consternation on the OP's part. The best outcome is that they refund his money without any further issue, but they could give him a replacement and down the hole he goes again, making a fourth Bergara and another emotional rollercoaster.

You may think my post is nothing more than hot air - it isn't. I'm actually trying to give some advice that reduces pain and maybe some small degree of satisfaction after the dust settles with a rifle that he finds acceptable. Others have done the same. But each person has to find the limits of the battles they chose to fight and deal with all the price that comes with it, at least that's the path of a mature individual.

I have not had a Bergara or even a Remington 700.

But I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

• Haha
Reactions: Darryle
If he sent it in, they sent it back saying it shot less than MOA, what else is there to do other than sell it or rebuild it to something that shoots to his satisfaction? Going to small claims court will cause more pain and hassle in time, money and emotional baggage than just taking a turd and making it what is wanted. If Bergara kept records and can show that it did indeed shoot to inside MOA, regardless of what another gunsmith says, its going to be a losing battle that will only cause more consternation on the OP's part. The best outcome is that they refund his money without any further issue, but they could give him a replacement and down the hole he goes again, making a fourth Bergara and another emotional rollercoaster.

You may think my post is nothing more than hot air - it isn't. I'm actually trying to give some advice that reduces pain and maybe some small degree of satisfaction after the dust settles with a rifle that he finds acceptable. Others have done the same. But each person has to find the limits of the battles they chose to fight and deal with all the price that comes with it, at least that's the path of a mature individual.
Ummmm, exactly what he is doing take it a qualified Smith and take them to small claims.

Unfortunately instead of waiting for the results people decided to shit up the thread for 6 pages like a bunch of jack asses.

I've never bedded one in my life. I own a dozen as a write this. I've owned several dozen. It's an unnecessary step for any rifle I've ever owned. But hey, if it helps you, rock on. To pretend he's done hundreds is bullshit. Did he pay you to come here and defend him, or is there another reason? Maybe you're just bored.
Ownership doest imply competence. As far as I know you couldn't find your ass with both hands.

So 2k for his rifle correct. You got pay pal ready? 🤣🤣🤣

I have no dog in this fight, recently bought a 22 Bergara HMR. That’s the only reason I even looked at this thread.

But…. I gotta know, how the Fug did you release JB weld with a damn heat gun?

I’ve used JB weld in some places that get pretty damn hot. It does not come off.