• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Handheld Topo GPS??

Nomad Farrier

Nomad
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2009
NE Oregon
Hey guys would like to get a real nice handheld GPS mainly for hunting. Ive had Garmin's in the past but Im assuming that they are extremely outdated. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!!!

Ive been running a garmin etrex 30 for close to two years. Works great, decent battery life, and color screen. Only bad part is having to buy the maps by region for around 100 bucks. Still worth it in my book

Bought a Garmin 650t last year and combined with the Hunting GPS maps and satellite imagery makes an awesome unit for hunting.

Got a smart phone. Download backcountry navagater pro. It's ten bucks and is awesome.

Stick with the Garmin:

1. Battery life is very good
2. coverage regardless of wifi, 4G etc
3. temp range is better than many phones. My iphone for example shuts down at around freezing or there abouts
4. GPS is more accurate than many smart phones

Generally, sometimes it makes sense to go with a product where all they do is specialize in one thing and do it really well. I tries a few other GPS units also in the Past, but always ended up going back to the Garmin. I tried Delorme and another one I can't remember, but really liked the GPSMap series best. I think if you need a GPS with topo, going with the Garmin + the Hunting GPS maps is a very good idea (gives you the topo features + Game management areas).

If you get a newer version of the Garmins, you can also load the National Forest MVUMs (Motor Vehicle Use Maps) as an overlay with the Hunting GPS maps. My GPSMap 60csx won't do that, but the next newest one will...

Garmin 62 series with maps from huntinggpsmaps.com for your hunting area. Best combo on the freaking planet.

Seriously, it's the best combination for hunting you're gonna find. Topo maps are well drawn and well labeled with land ownership data so you know exactly what you can and can't hunt, and they're color coded by ownership, so realistically all you have to remember is what colors mean it's ok to take something. It's also useful to drop a waypoint where you took the shot and where your kill is just in case a game warden asks.

Last edited:
I have a Garmin 450T and keep it updated with current software upgrades from Garmin. It rocks! Does everything I need it to do quickly and accurately. Far from outdated.

Not sure where the Garmin is lacking. I used an etrex for a while and now a 450T. Fast satellite acquisition, custom maps, 24k topo. I can plan my hunt from home, download USGS maps, create overlays (combined with BLM boundary maps), game migration patterns and load them all on my Garmin.

I hunt in some real deep forrest (Colorado), I have complete confidence in the Garmin products and have no reason to change.

Garmin 60CSX. I've been using mine for years. My state wildlife and parks website even has downloadable map overlays for the walk-in hunting areas. I found a lot of new spots and killed a lot of coyotes this past season with this combo.

Got a smart phone. Download backcountry navagater pro. It's ten bucks and is awesome.

I agree. I also use Backcountry Navigator. I spent a few $ more and bought a land ownership map for my state that shows private, state, BLM, and USFS land overlay on the topo map. I sold my Garmin because of it.

Benefits to using a smart phone: smaller, WAY faster, cheaper, better battery life, can use cell towers for location in addition to GPS sat, and one less piece of gear to carry. You can also download maps for anywhere you need it. Unlike others have said, does NOT need phone service to work.

Benefits to a Garmin: Your wife can't call you on it.

Btw, I switched from iPhone to a much larger screen Android and love it.

Last edited:
I have a Garmin 60CSx and have been very pleased with it, it was a birFday present from my wife a few years ago. I swear it can find a signal underground, I have never had it fail to locate.

We used the built-in ranging features a few times against high dollar LRFs (Vectronix PLR-F 10 and a Terrapin) and the calculated distance from the GPS was never different than by 6m; tough to argue with that from 2000yd when it costs what it does.

I use mine all the time, it stays in my pack year round.

You should check out the new and coming earl.

Earl - Backcountry Survival Tablet
Damn, now that's one cool piece of kit there. I'm wondering how it would work with Shooter on the range with the additional atmospheric sensors...

OP, for GPS maps I also use this website for downloading FREE topo maps to my Garmin eTrex Vista: GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr I haven't paid for a GPS topo map since I found that site years ago, and 24k maps are readily available for free with other land use maps for more detail as well.

A new GPS unit may not be required for you, simply updating your map set may be the trick if you have one that can already support existing topo maps that are out there. Memory issues may arise if you have an old unit that doesn't support micro SDHC cards or topo maps at all.

I feel like such a Luddite...I just upgraded my cheap Silva compass for a Tritium Cammenga and a new set of maps for my area ;-)

I have had good success with the Garmin Rhino series. They have the added feature of a FRS/GMRS radio. They also allow you to push or pull locations of other people with a Rhino. Several people in our hunting party have these and it is very handy when we have an animal down. They are also rugged, pick up satellites fast and have a good battery life

How important is having 24k res? Is it a huge benefit, or does it just crowd the screen?

I find it very important. Take a yellow sticky pad, mark a small dot on it. Sometimes thats the reading you get with a 100k topo map.

Granted if you have one of the newer units you can go to the USGS website, find the area you are hunting and then bring up the image on your computer. Screen cap the area of interest and make a google earth overlay. That will have the actual satellite image of your hunting area with borders, altitude and grid lines if you want. You can turn all of the features on and off with adobe reader.

When you are out in the middle of thick brush and tall trees it is good to have as much detail as possible. Well at least IMHO.