• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Most Cost Effective Torque Wrench for the LMT

Wild Geese 1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2010
Ohio
I am looking for the best most cost effective Torque Wrench for my LMTs, it would also be nice if it was as compact as possible. Any and all information would be appreciated.
grin.gif

I guess I should have mentioned that it needs to be 140 Inch Pound Torque wrench.

Re: Best Most Cost Effective Torque Wrench for the LMT

LMT's factory unit or Snap-On . May not be the cheapest but I learned a long time ago about going with the cheapest tool possible, especially when it comes to critical units of measurement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downrange1x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LMTs factory unit or Snap-On . May not be the cheapest but I learned a long time ago about going with the cheapest tool possible, especially when it comes to critical units of measurement. </div></div>

Thank you for your response, to clarify just a little, I would like a Torque wrench that is better than the one sent with the LMTs, hopefully more compact, that is as reasonably priced as possible. I am willing to of course pay for the better quality Torque Wrench, I just do not want to go overboard.

I was recently looking for an in-lb wrench and ended up getting a used Proto off of Ebay that was like new at the same price as China junk. Might want to keep an eye out on ebay for a used one in your torque range.

I have a snap-on for 15 years and it get checked every two years. Don't go cheap and 65 in/lbs is in the middle of the range and that should be the most accurate for your needs.It's also OK to buy used as they have a life time warranty. Any truck you see at an auto dealer will repair of replace it.

Good luck
..MJ..

I got one from Sears not long ago that was highly recommended on the LMT link. Looks like it will be alright and was about $70 on sale. Much better than what came with the rifle.

+1 for the Snap-on torque wrench. Not the cheapest but it is well worth the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJ1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a snap-on for 15 years and it get checked every two years. Don't go cheap and 65 in/lbs is in the middle of the range and that should be the most accurate for your needs.It's also OK to buy used as they have a life time warranty. Any truck you see at an auto dealer will repair of replace it.

Good luck
..MJ..</div></div>

Snap on torque wrenches only have a lifetime warranty on the ratchet head. It costs about $75 to have it recalibrated.

The Borka is great, but hardly enough for the bolts on the LMT MRP/MWS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yama Arashi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Borka is great, but hardly enough for the bolts on the LMT MRP/MWS. </div></div>

It's 65in-lbs. That isn't enough?

I wonder how the ones from Harbor Freight would work?

I have sold torque equipment for industrial and manufacturing applications for a living for nearly 30 years.

Mountz, Sturtevant Richmont, Tonichi, and CDI / Snap On all make good quality torque wrenches for use in industrial applications.

I have a Wera torque limiting screwdriver for scope rings. It is an excellent, high quality tool. I wish they would start making torque wrenches.

Effetto Mariposa torque wrench...

Google it and thank me later.

I have 2 harbor freights, still dead on after 20 years; but I do try to remember to return to 0 every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yama Arashi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Borka is great, but hardly enough for the bolts on the LMT MRP/MWS. </div></div>

It's 65in-lbs. That isn't enough? </div></div>

No, the LMT bolts have to be 140 inch pounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJ1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a snap-on for 15 years and it get checked every two years. Don't go cheap and 65 in/lbs is in the middle of the range and that should be the most accurate for your needs.It's also OK to buy used as they have a life time warranty. Any truck you see at an auto dealer will repair of replace it.

Good luck
..MJ..</div></div>

Snap on torque wrenches only have a lifetime warranty on the ratchet head. It costs about $75 to have it recalibrated. </div></div>

Never ran into that in 20 years. Maybe you need a better relationship with your tool guy. But over the years I must have paid for his house,,LOL.

FWIW, I spent many years calibrating and certifying test euipment and tools in the aircraft industry.
We used several brands and styles, when the day was done the ratchet head torque wrench (adjustable) which give best service life and retained closest calibraion were those made by Proto.
But like good gunsmiths, there are several but stick with the major players and you will be fine.

Respectfully,

Chet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jetmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, I spent many years calibrating and certifying test euipment and tools in the aircraft industry.
We used several brands and styles, when the day was done the ratchet head torque wrench (adjustable) which give best service life and retained closest calibraion were those made by Proto.
But like good gunsmiths, there are several but stick with the major players and you will be fine.

Respectfully,

Chet </div></div>

I luvzmesum Proto. The only unit I have is the screwdriver with max. 35in/lbs.
I will stick to split beam anything, but bias towards Precision Instruments, when it comes to ft/lbs and firearms.

I believe break-in and precision on rachet heads is horse caca when split beam is available.

BTW, my PROTO sweetheart looks just like this:

Stanley-Proto-Torque-Screwdriver.jpg

FYI Sears is selling the Craftsman torque wrench for 40 bucks now on sale. Pretty much half off for Christmas sale deal.

I come across lots of used snap on tq wrenches from time to time. If interested LMK.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pedro23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI Sears is selling the Craftsman torque wrench for 40 bucks now on sale. Pretty much half off for Christmas sale deal. </div></div>

Could you provide a link or model number please? Thanks!

It's the only Craftsman trq wrench that is able to be used in that low range of inch pounds. I found the deal by going into the store itself. Not sure if it a local sale or not. Still only 40 bucks for a good piece of kit.

While It's not a Borka or any other high end torque wrench I bought Weaver's torque wrench set. It's very similar to the FAT torque wrench. I checked it's accuracy against my buddies Borka and it was not of by any more than 0.2 inch pounds on ant setting. I have been using it for over a years and mounted about 20 scope rings and bases for myself and other and have not have any problems at all. For $51 it won't owe me anything if it craps out then on to a Borka or Craftsman. I'd probably buy the Craftsman now if I didn't already have the Weaver.

I found a wrench made under the Snap On name, CDI. CDI manufactures the torque wrenches and Snap On puts their name on them. Much cheaper than Snap On without the name on it. I got the 2002MRMH. I found another distributor for it that was cheaper than the actual manufacturer and they have free shipping.

Specs:
http://www.emaxaction.com/cdiclickwrenchatemax.aspx

Site where I purchased:
http://www.mrocenter.com/cdi-38-drive-30-200-in-lb-micro-adjustable-torque-wrench-metal-handle-1-1