• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes best optics for less than $500

Rob.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2012
I have a buddy who is just getting into long distance shooting. No more than 1000 yds. I was hoping to make some good suggestions to him.

He will be using a Remington 770, in 30.06.

He has a nice bi-pod and is just beginning his journey. I have had a great deal of fun with my simmons prediator, not super fancy but still does a great job. I would like to see him with a set of working turrets that track well.

Thanks for your help,

Rob

Re: best optics for less than $500

Be sure to check out the Vortex HS 5-15x44 from MidwayUSA. Tracks great, matching turret and reticle, super generous on the eyebox. Very good deal on a very nice piece of glass!!

DK

SWFA brand SS fixed power scopes. They have 6x 10x
12x 16x and 20x. Most are $300 with mil reticle and mil turrets.

Thanks for the input from everyone. Does anyone have experience with both of the above listed optics? Thoughts?

Thanks guys,
Rob

i have the vortex 5-15. very nice especially for the price.

i don't have a ss fixed, but do have a ss5-20. i would consider maybe getting a fixed 12 or 16 next.

In your opinion would you trade the 5x15 for a fixed power 12 or 16?

Thanks,
Rob

I do like the fact that the fixed powers have less moving parts. It would be more important on a 300 win mag. It might not make a huge deal on a 30.06

Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In your opinion would you trade the 5x15 for a fixed power 12 or 16?

Thanks,
Rob
</div></div>

prolly not, but i can't see ou going wrong with either considering their price.

I also have the Vortex 5-15 scope and it's just great for the price. It's worth much more than Midway sells them for!!

How does the generosity of the eye-relief compare on the Vortex HS vs the PST (namely on the 5-15 vs the 6-24 FFP PST)?

According to the info on Midways site they both have 4" of eye relief. I have not used the PST scope, so don't know how the two scopes compare side by side. But I sure like the 5-15.

I bought my nephew a Vortex Viper 6-??x44. It was under the 500 mark and after ~750 rounds (308) it is running strong. We have shot out to 800 with it, having it track just like it should. I would not think twice about getting another one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a buddy who is just getting into long distance shooting. No more than 1000 yds. I was hoping to make some good suggestions to him.

He has a nice bi-pod and is just beginning his journey. I have had a great deal of fun with my simmons prediator, not super fancy but still does a great job. I would like to see him with a set of working turrets that track well.

Thanks for your help,

Rob
</div></div>

I would encourage him to upgrade rifles before concerning himself with optics.

Thanks for the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patrol120</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a buddy who is just getting into long distance shooting. No more than 1000 yds. I was hoping to make some good suggestions to him.

Thanks for your help,

Rob
</div></div>

I would encourage him to upgrade rifles before concerning himself with optics. </div></div>

This^

It can happen to anyone!

Vortex 5x15 at $470

w/ $30 off a $300 order.

3081212 good to 9/30

$465 W/$35 off promo code ( AR15935 );)
contemplating pulling the trigger on this myself, any issues with the reticle being wire? maybe pay the extra $200 for etched glass and illumination (me not the OP as its over 500)