• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Best semi-economical hand priming tool?

Shrubjr

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2013
Just like the title says, I'm in the market for a cool priming tool. I reload just enough to get by, I'm not a super-expert by any means. I'll probably be doing 99% of my priming on cases from the 308 family. What is the hand priming tool to have out there?

Thanks Sniper's Hide!

I have an older Frankford Arsenal Hand Primer and it works well for me. I've reloaded about 1400 rounds with it between 44 magnum and 308.

The newer one seems to have moved the push button to the side when changing the shell holder, which is a good thing.

I use a Lee hand primer. Been using the same one for 25 years and it still works fine. Very simple, gives a good feel as to seating depth and pocket size and it's fast. I think it cost me about $6 back in the day.

Reactions: kujuak
I use a lee autoprime with the square tray and it’s great but if I were buying again I would look into the Frankford arsenal, it looks to be the same set up but with an adjustable depth which would be nice.

I use a tool from Sinclair. While not cheap its a quality tool and very precise. I liked it enough that I bought another so as not to have to change primer punches as much.

Reactions: Pvt.Donut
I've been using the same RCBS hand primer for 22 years. I recently got a second one so I leave one set up for large primers and one set up for small.

From your description of what you want, you should look at the K&M hand priming tool. I have one and I use it for all of my precision loads. It is a little over half of the cost of the Sinclair or 21st Century, but does a great job. Adjustable for seating depth and it takes inexpensive lee priming shell holders.

http://kmshooting.com/primer-tools/primer-seater/primer-deluxe.html

Reactions: Warpspeed
Been using the RCBS for 5 years. Easily 5,000+ rounds on it trouble free. Not sure what they cost on their own, got mine with my single stage press. I'd also make sure whatever tool you buy works with whatever shell holders you have. Not all are cross compatible and it would suck to buy a tool and then have to buy another stack of shell holders.

Due to wrist issue the hand squeeze type seater is a no-go for me. Been inserting them on my rock chucker hand placing them in the cup. I'm looking for the best alternative that is auto fed.

Whats your definition of economical? I started with a hornady hand priming tool and it work as advertised. I recently upgraded to the century 21 and have been very happy with it so far. The century 21 will rin you about $150 but its cheap compared to the primal rights.

I like my RCBS with spring loaded jaws which alleviates the need for individual shell holders.

Not the fastest to go from small to large primers, but I only swap out a few times a year due to nearly all my match brass being small primer these days....338LM not withstanding.

I honestly can't even believe some people use a primer where you have to place one primer at a time into it... I use the Lee primer and it gets the job done. I've considered "upgrading" but I'm not sure what I would gain. If I really needed a new one, I would probably look into the Frankford Arsenal one; it looks like it comes in a neat kit and has some nice features.

Reactions: spife7980 and KZP
I honestly can't even believe some people use a primer where you have to place one primer at a time into it... I use the Lee primer and it gets the job done. I've considered "upgrading" but I'm not sure what I would gain. If I really needed a new one, I would probably look into the Frankford Arsenal one; it looks like it comes in a neat kit and has some nice features.

I like to be able to square my primer pockets and be able to use a tool that I can actually feel the primer anvil being snugly seated at the bottom of the primer pocket.

Maybe for the way you shoot, you don't need an upgrade. If you don't know what you would gain, keep using the Lee if that does it for you.

I like to be able to square my primer pockets and be able to use a tool that I can actually feel the primer anvil being snugly seated at the bottom of the primer pocket.

Maybe for the way you shoot, you don't need an upgrade. If you don't know what you would gain, keep using the Lee if that does it for you.

Did someone take a bit of offence to my comment? Lol.

Not sure what you mean by "squaring your primer pockets", but if you mean that you uniform the depths of the primer pockets, then yes I do that too, but it has no effect on which priming tool I would use...

Also I can perfectly feel my primers being seated to the bottom of the pocket every time, but the Lee tool (and many others) has a primer tray so I don't have to load each primer individually into the tool... Not sure how single feeding primers could improve on primer seating consistency at all?

Reactions: Malpaso and KZP
I like the newer Frankford arsenal a lot more then my Sinclair hand primer. Tray gives me speed. Changing shell holders is a quick snap in. Seating depth adjustable. Built of heavy metal, solid.

Reactions: KZP
I haven't used it yet but I recently got a Lee bench prime after watching several videos on it.

I also bought the shell holder set and spare primer trays so I don't have to ever take primers out. It was cheap, maybe $45 all in.

The videos remarked on the feel of the unit and the lever is quite a bit longer than a hand prime so it should work with less force over a longer stroke and no grip strength required, just downward pressure.

I think I have a RCBS hand prime in my reloading stuff. I'll have to compare but I think I'll like the Lee.