• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Beware of fake Spuhr Mounts.

frank320

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2019
Didn't know fake Spuhr mounts were a thing...

There's an easier way to tell them apart, the real ones have cracked clamp bars.

:ROFLMAO:

Not surprised there are fakes floating around though, it's a popular item that probably has a very high profit margin for the cloners.

A couple of things to note though regarding that video...

While the video pointed out the 4 letter codes on the real one vs the fake were different, I believe spuhr uses those 4 letter codes on the various parts as production lot/batch numbers, so that probably isn't a reliable way to spot a real one vs a fake one as the real mounts change that letter code with every production batch. Correct me if I'm wrong on that...

Also, the green vs clear level isn't a telltale either, as spuhr offers both a green and clear level for the unimounts. They normally ship with the clear levels, but I have received 2 brand new mounts from mile high with green levels, possibly because spuhr was out of stock of the clear levels at the time.

Links to both color replacement levels:

The letters on the rings are batch numbers so those will be different

Let’s hash these out as I’m generally curious
One of these mounts did crack a crossbar just fyi

SP 4002
IMG_6354.jpeg
IMG_6355.jpeg
IMG_6356.jpeg
IMG_6357.jpeg

Last edited:
OP

I am generally curious how that is legit determined to be a fake. I’ve looked over mine in the past and have tried to spot the differences. So I’m legit here to learn. Saw another video a couple weeks ago. I’ll try to find it. But in that video the stuff pointed out seemed more extreme then here

The levels- Spuhr has both clear and green. That green level is a very clear as compared to other fakes I’ve seen. Although you can replace them I’m curious if that’s not a legit level

The numbers you point out are different because to my knowledge they’re batch numbers. Each part I believe is associated with a batch number. When cracked my crossbar I gave the batch number on the bar to Mile High and it didn’t seem to surprise them it was cracked. Assuming that batch had its issues

I’ll give the machine on the fake to be less deep and the burrs on the ring screws are not counter sunk from opposite end. But damn these things are so legit close. I also don’t see markings on the hardware

Does anyone else have pics of these areas on legit or fake spuhrs?

Here’s the other video

I had no idea there were fake Spuhr mounts going around, and neither do I know how to spot them. Safest best is to just buy them from a reputable dealer.

Part of the reason we buy a premium scope mount for our "premium" scopes is to reduce the probability that a badly QC'ed mount that is non-concentric could damage our scopes. I don't lap my scope mounts before I mount them, I just assume that they are well made, well centered, will handle the torque values and manage the recoil without damaging my scope.

I have seen shitty mounts torquing scope tubes, imparting deep ring mark/scratches on scope tube, and even resulting in scope sliding in mounts causing scratches due to mount's inability to hold the scope during recoil.

I had no idea there were fake Spuhr mounts going around, and neither do I know how to spot them. Safest best is to just buy them from a reputable dealer.

Part of the reason we buy a premium scope mount for our "premium" scopes is to reduce the probability that a badly QC'ed mount that is non-concentric could damage our scopes. I don't lap my scope mounts before I mount them, I just assume that they are well made, well centered, will handle the torque values and manage the recoil without damaging my scope.

I have seen shitty mounts torquing scope tubes, imparting deep ring mark/scratches on scope tube, and even resulting in scope sliding in mounts causing scratches due to mount's inability to hold the scope during recoil.
Ok that said

In your video are you comparing a real vs fake or just using the one as an example of a fake? I’m confused as to what I watched now

That is not my youtube video. I did not make that video.
It was a video that came up on my feed and I figured folks should be made aware that there are fake spuhrs going around....

Green bubble levels were used on spuhr for some time. The lot markings on caps and under the scope body will be different on all genuine spuhrs, so that comment in video is not a way to spot a fake. All Spuhrs in the US come through Mile High and out to dealers. MH inspects every spuhr before it goes out. The only fake I was aware of is someone swapping it and returning it to a dealer for a refund while keeping the original. This is as of a few months ago and I have not heard of another incident since.

MH, Euro, CST, myself, and I'm sure many others all have genuine spuhr products. Don't buy one from Ebay or Amazon.

That is not my youtube video. I did not make that video.
It was a video that came up on my feed and I figured folks should be made aware that there are fake spuhrs going around....
Oh my apologies on the questions then. I thought that was your video

Either way we can discuss here. There’s been fakes out for a while. Most of the old ones were pretty obvious just due to the markings and what not.

The fake in the video above could fool someone easily. Probably the closest to real I’ve seen. Although some items pointed out in the video don't actually point to it as a fake

Reactions: MOUNTIC
the one I bought from euro-optic cracked - so nope. I used a torque wrench - I can't stand when people act like the clamp bar problem was users.
Because there were and are plenty of users who have done stupid stuff. Tell me I am wrong.
How many scope tubes have you seen that was messed up by someone getting overzealous with a allen or torx bit and cranked the rings down??

You might have done the right thing, followed the torque sequence and specs but how many haven't?

Just saying

Because there were and are plenty of users who have done stupid stuff. Tell me I am wrong.
How many scope tubes have you seen that was messed up by someone getting overzealous with a allen or torx bit and cranked the rings down??

You might have done the right thing, followed the torque sequence and specs but how many haven't?

Just saying

That’s not what lead to the widespread clamp bar failure.

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli

Just saying
I followed it to a T and always have. When I cracked my clamp mile high didn’t seem at all surprised. Mine was the updated thicker version as well.

If you care to see my thread

Reactions: BCP
Or it might be the fakes breaking? BTW, I have two that I have had for 10 or more years that haven't broken but I also know how to use a torque wrench and follow the directions.
People thinking they know how to use a torque wrench and going through clicking on each faster to make sure they're still tight every so often could be easily over torquing them and cracking them.

I would say that both mounts in that video are the real deal and that the guy who made the video is clueless.

I have had 10+ mounts from Spuhr for the last decade, never had an issue with either one of them. If I had, I am sure they would warranty it.
Sooner or later a Spuhr rep or Spuhr himself will find this thread and set things straight.

(Let the storm begin)

Last edited:
Reactions: BCP
Only problem with "Buy from a reputable dealer" is Spuhr doesn't make the SP-4002 anymore so either have to find old stock or buy used. The 4002C is gross.

Or it might be the fakes breaking?

Or it could have been Spuhr making both of them. Sell both the real ones and the cheaper "fakes". Then you have complete control of the market. Make them just different enough to scare people into over paying for the "real" ones. Hmmm....

(I'm an evil genius, I just don't have enough money to put it to good use. :( )

Last edited:
Only problem with "Buy from a reputable dealer" is Spuhr doesn't make the SP-4002 anymore so either have to find old stock or buy used. The 4002C is gross.

Good point. The continued demand for the older design 6 screw rear ring models compared to the new "C" models with the 4 screw rear rings would be awfully tempting for any counterfeiters as the demand is there. However, it would then be very easy to determine the fakes as spuhr has discontinued many of the older 6 rear ring screw non-"C" models; but if the counterfeiter or a domestic reseller of the counterfeits advertised their 6 screw versions as new old stock of the non-C models, and the packaging and product looked very close to a real one, I bet a bunch of people would buy the fakes.

I would say that both mounts in that video are the real deal and that the guy who made the video is clueless.

I have had 10+ mounts from Spuhr for the last decade, never had an issue with either one of them. If I had, I am sure they would warranty it.
Sooner or later a Spuhr rep or Spuhr himself will find this thread and set things straight.

(Let the storm begin)

That video does make a couple of questionable points that I pointed out very early on the thread regarding the batch letters and level colors not being definitive indicators of a fake, and I started to have doubts myself if it was really a counterfeit he was showing.

That being said, fakes are 100% a concern, especially if you're buying used. I just did a search on AliExpress and look what we have...

Screenshot_20240421-085316__01.jpg

Last edited: