• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big Horn Origin barrel

UndFrm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2022
CA
The Zermatt Origin action mentions that it'll take a "savage small shank". Now pardon me if my questions are too basic.

Would I need to buy a barrel but?
The barrel maker mentioned that he can do a "shouldered prefit". Does that mean I won't have to worry about the headspace while installing this barrel? If so, I don't suppose I would need a barrel nut?
The other option he gave me is a "standard barrel nut prefit". I'll have to get a separate barrel nut for this, is my guess.

Out of the 2, what would be the preferred option? My understanding is, and please correct me if I am wrong, I won't need a go, no go gauge for option 1 - shouldered but will need for the option 2 - barrel nut prefit.
Any other differences

Thank you

The Zermatt Origin action mentions that it'll take a "savage small shank". Now pardon me if my questions are too basic.

Would I need to buy a barrel but?
The barrel maker mentioned that he can do a "shouldered prefit". Does that mean I won't have to worry about the headspace while installing this barrel? If so, I don't suppose I would need a barrel nut?
The other option he gave me is a "standard barrel nut prefit". I'll have to get a separate barrel nut for this, is my guess.

Out of the 2, what would be the preferred option? My understanding is, and please correct me if I am wrong, I won't need a go, no go gauge for option 1 - shouldered but will need for the option 2 - barrel nut prefit.
Any other differences

Thank you
You got it. Pre fit is just that, it sets the headspace for you (though it's always a good idea to check headspace with something, be it a Go, or a case made to function as a go, ect) . A barrel nut set up uses the nut to allow you to set the head space. I'd definitely prefer a prefit with no nut

Both work fine. The barrel nut type does give you the option to set headspace to match another rifle of the same caliber that you might have.

It's always a good idea to check headspace with gauges once the barrel is installed, no matter the style. The accuracy potential of both styles is about the same. Most shooters won't be able to shoot the difference. Some people prefer the shouldered style. Some people prefer the nut style. I prefer the nut style that Southern Precision Rifles (bugholes) makes, called the BugNut.

I've used both on my origin and performance-wise I couldn't tell the difference.

The barrel nut is pretty fugly is all, and that's the main reason they're not super popular.

If I was building a super overbore barrel burner I'd probably go back to the nut. You can get some wicked accurate barrels from NSS for about the price of a premium blank.

Reactions: LR1845
Off the shelf nut barrels will be lighter given the same profile, because max diameter is less at nut. Zermatt makes a decent looking nut.

Reactions: hellzna
I had PVA spin up a 300PRC origin prefit off an Osprey blank. It was fast and totally worth it. Snagged an action wrench off a guy on eBay and it torqued right on.

I have messed with the barrel nuts on 3 other builds. It is a little more finicky to torque on, check headspace, etc. The prefits have me sold.

Reactions: UndFrm and codym
Barrel nut for me. I like the fact that there are a pile of manufactures making savage pre-fit barrels, lets you try a few different ones without spending a ton or waiting for a smith to spin one up. Also changing them is a piece of cake.

Reactions: stevieb92
Shouldered if it's gonna be a switch barrel rug, or add a set screw/red loctite nut to barrel. This is mainly for consistent brass fit when switching barrels. If it's a 1 barrel rig, whichever, but shouldered looks better. Criterion is offering shouldered origin/solus barrels through Northland shooter supply. He keeps popular caliber/contours on hand.