• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bino Harness?

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2017
    Looking for a binocular harness for my Sig Kilo3000BDX binoculars. Looking for brand and specific size. Not sure what I want or need, so recommendations are needed.

Reactions: YotaEer
    I’ve been through a couple Badlands offerings and didn’t love them. I’m now on the Kuiu PRO Bino Harness, size XL. It’s a pretty snug fit for my Leica 3200.COMs, and it’s not quite as one-hand-operable as I’d hoped, but it’s definitely a cut above the Badlands ones.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    FHF Gear - Size Medium

T&K Hunting or Alaska Guide creations. Either one is heads above Badlands or KUIU. Will need a large in Alaska Guide model, Don't know about T&K. My boy has the T&K and it is built like a tank.

I use the Outdoor Vision harness with my Sigs. Size medium. I've had it a couple years now, and I wouldn't get anything else. Made in the USA.

I like the slim and trim Kuiu pro. I'm looking for a size on mine, but can't find one. Here's a pic of the fit with the kilos though.
    16234348957762996308963868524814.jpg

Looks like they say below 6.75" tall binos is large size and 6.75-8" is XL.

I think mine are a large.

Careful with magnetic closures. The Marsupial Bino harness that I had would require me to constantly calibrate the compass in my Kestrel because the magnet would throw it off. Other than that, I really like the Marsupial Gear pouch.

Last edited:
    Having used a couple others previously, Im enjoying my Alaska Guide Creations.
    US made, top notch folks.

You could check size with my harness sometime.
    They carry a couple sizes of it with the Vortex branding on it at Sportsmans too.

Ive run the Alaska Guide creations and the Marsupial enclosed Bino harness. The Alaska is more comfortable but the lid always gets in the way since it does not fold down and also I always have to adjust the straps since the buckles do not have locks like the Marsupial.

MArsupial has a sizing guide that is true to size on there website.

I’ve gone through a lot of bino harnesses over the years. They end up being bulky for what they are… maybe look into the Rick Young Outdoors Bino System… I use it a lot. Wraps up easy, multiple ways to use it, doesn’t end up weighing much (or collecting stuff)

FHF or Alaska Guide. Stay away from S4 it's a pain to get the eye cup cover over them and secured.

I’ve gone through a lot of bino harnesses over the years. They end up being bulky for what they are… maybe look into the Rick Young Outdoors Bino System… I use it a lot. Wraps up easy, multiple ways to use it, doesn’t end up weighing much (or collecting stuff)

This is what I was looking at. Seemed too simple and cheap to be for real.

Reactions: USMC22
    I like the slim and trim Kuiu pro. I'm looking for a size on mine, but can't find one. Here's a pic of the fit with the kilos though. View attachment 7645066

Looks like they say below 6.75" tall binos is large size and 6.75-8" is XL.

I think mine are a large.
    I use the same Bono harness for my 3000’s fits great and the harness is awesome.

This is the one I ended up buying. Didn't know it was what I wanted until I saw it. I also bought their cover. Which, coincidentally, was what I also had in mind before even the harness. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: USMC22
    If you change your mind or end up needing a second one TO hold extra stuff I use Alaska guide. Mine has vortex 10x50s. It’s really bulk but I had all I need at my fingers for hunting and general range stuff. But mostly hunting.

Attachments

• 7A2AB6C3-3E99-4962-8D93-D9D0AB895AEC.jpeg
      7A2AB6C3-3E99-4962-8D93-D9D0AB895AEC.jpeg
      642.1 KB · Views: 179
    This is what I was looking at. Seemed too simple and cheap to be for real.
    It’s legit and works well for me. Easy to throw in a pack, easy to deploy and just plain works. I went through a lot of harnesses and they always felt bulky, even the more streamlined ones

This is the one I ended up buying. Didn't know it was what I wanted until I saw it. I also bought their cover. Which, coincidentally, was what I also had in mind before even the harness. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Excellent! It’s a good piece of gear and I’ve always been happy with it.

Don't take this as trying to poopoo on the Rick Young concept, but, how well does that wear in early season with no jacket or other padding? Seems like the bungee / rope cutting into your neck and shoulders would happen fairly quickly. One reason I bought the S4 was because the standard straps of my binoculars were too thin and the pressure was irritating. It's good that he makes a cover too, but I can see myself catching a bunch of crap in it and dumping that into my eye cups.

Another vote for Alaskan guide, ran one last year and loved it.

Don't try to pack too much shit in it - as I initially did - else it loses a lotta the shine.

Don't take this as trying to poopoo on the Rick Young concept, but, how well does that wear in early season with no jacket or other padding? Seems like the bungee / rope cutting into your neck and shoulders would happen fairly quickly. One reason I bought the S4 was because the standard straps of my binoculars were too thin and the pressure was irritating. It's good that he makes a cover too, but I can see myself catching a bunch of crap in it and dumping that into my eye cups.
    You can adjust the tension and there is more than one way to wear it. If you want to keep it in the traditional location I find that it breathes better and I’m usually wearing a pack. It doesn’t interfere with the pack and that becomes uncomfortable long before the bino harness.

I’m not saying it’s perfect but it works for me and keeps things minimalist. I’ve had almost every line of the Alaskan Guide harnesses, FHF, Sitka, Kuiu and marsupial gear. I only own the Rick Young one now.

If I had to pick something I don’t like about it it’s the plastic hardware. I wish it had a more refined set but it works and at the end of the day that’s all I need it to do.

not paid, endorsed, affiliated or any other thing with Rick young products.

Another vote for Alaskan guide, ran one last year and loved it.

Don't try to pack too much shit in it - as I initially did - else it loses a lotta the shine.
    This is what happens 99% of the time. The other thing is, and I’m not saying everyone, but a lot of people buy those harnesses and they ride in a truck as a carrying case. Anything works great as that…

You can adjust the tension and there is more than one way to wear it. If you want to keep it in the traditional location I find that it breathes better and I’m usually wearing a pack. It doesn’t interfere with the pack and that becomes uncomfortable long before the bino harness.

I’m not saying it’s perfect but it works for me and keeps things minimalist. I’ve had almost every line of the Alaskan Guide harnesses, FHF, Sitka, Kuiu and marsupial gear. I only own the Rick Young one now.

If I had to pick something I don’t like about it it’s the plastic hardware. I wish it had a more refined set but it works and at the end of the day that’s all I need it to do.

not paid, endorsed, affiliated or any other thing with Rick young products.

I figure for the price its worth a try. I sometimes have pack, rifle, binos, and thermal and it all gets bunched up around my neck. Does anyone hang secondary items like range finders or small thermals from them in addition to the binos?

I figure for the price its worth a try. I sometimes have pack, rifle, binos, and thermal and it all gets bunched up around my neck. Does anyone hang secondary items like range finders or small thermals from them in addition to the binos?
    I personally don’t because if you want to wrap the bungee over the top of the bottom of your binos it could / would potentially mess with that. That method is my favorite way to use them when moving over ground and keeping them tight to me.

thermals, range finder and binos all hanging from my neck doesn’t sound like a good time or comfortable with any system

Rangefinder i can pocket. Its ok with binos/pack/rifle but add the additional lanyard from the thermal and it can be a mess. I can get it all to lay flat but once you use the binos/thermal everything has to be rearranged. I figure with that harness it will take at least one thing out of the equation. I only use the thermal when its cold and rainy so for summertime pack/bino harness and sometimes rifle should be pretty comfortable.

Why not dummy cord the thermal and put it in an accessible water bottle pocket on the outside of the pack? Keep it streamlined, protected and available if needed.

It’s actually quite comfortable with normal size bino’s. In the summer it’s less of a hotspot than a regular chest harness. The system works surprisingly well. The only reason I don’t use one is the fact that I’m always in dusty environments and I hate floppy lens covers.

Why not dummy cord the thermal and put it in an accessible water bottle pocket on the outside of the pack? Keep it streamlined, protected and available if needed.

Well I actually use the thermal a lot more. The binos i just use when I detect something. We live in very close terrain so I'm popping it up to my eye constantly as I come around the next little rise or clump of trees. I wear it on a lanyard at night a lot and its fine by itself. The complications only happen when they're fighting with my bino neck strap.

I'm thinking that harness should solve the problem. I don't know how much I'll use the thermal for daytime going forward. Just experimenting at this point. Seems to work well on cold rainy days which we have a lot of. Image sucks but detection is spot on if your looking under the canopy.

This is what happens 99% of the time. The other thing is, and I’m not saying everyone, but a lot of people buy those harnesses and they ride in a truck as a carrying case. Anything works great as that…
    I must be the top 1% again. Mine stays on me for miles. I pack the shit out of mine. I want my tags, pens, cow call, rangefinder, gps and windicator all at my fingers.

I must be the top 1% again. Mine stays on me for miles. I pack the shit out of mine. I want my tags, pens, cow call, rangefinder, gps and windicator all at my fingers.
    I suppose there are many different theaters and approaches to things. Sounds like the harness meets your needs.

Sounds like you've made your decision, but this is an option if you like to carry a pistol, knife, phone, or whatever on your chest:
    • HPG SARS kit bag (they make other sizes, this is one of the largest)
    • HPG Recon harness (absorbs the weight better than the stock harness)
    I use the front zipped pocket for my Vortex rangefinder binos (no pistol). If you buy a kit bag with pals webbing out front, you could always add one of their bino pouches too. Here's a medium.

Last edited:
    I also use the Alaskan Guide Creations KISS Max for 10x42s ... apart from hunting applications, it's also good for field shooting, as you have a handy place for everything from a mini sunscreen, lip balm, small tool kit, spare batteries, and more.

If you run RF binos, then the bino pouch on the front can hold some wind meters. The chest straps also work as a good place to hang a Garmin 401/701, if you're not into wrist mounting.

All up, a great bit of gear ...

Looks like only the KUIU pro is waterproof, unless you use a cover, which defeats the purpose of one hand or eas of opening operation it seems.

I’ve looked through most of the recommendations but maybe I’m missing something. Comments?

I have owned and used the following harnesses:

Badlands
    Alaskan Gear Creations
    Kuiu (OG and updated versions)
    Marsupial (OG and new enclosed versions)

I have hunted with all of these a d all will work. I do prefer styles that the cover flips forward and out of your way.

None are perfect but for ME the stand out winner is Marsupial Gear enclosed. Top notch form, fit and function. Can customize harness with all the accessory pouches one might need. the ability for the pouches to stat folded open to make reinsertion easy is so handy it’s not funny. IMO they have set the bar high.

have asked them to make a version smaller for 8X32 size binos but was told not enough demand…..I still use the smallest size the offer for both my 8X32 and 8.5X42 ……just would prefer a slightly smaller footprint on my chest when using the smaller pair. Drop them an email if that is something you’d buy. CT

I’ve been a bit pleased and a bit frustrated with the KUIU Pro harness. I may just need to revisit the cord tension that affects the opening/closing, but in short the lid doesn’t stay fully open, it wants to skip over the top front rim of the main compartment and grab at the focus wheel on my binos. Not really a big deal, I’ve learned to work around it, but annoying.

More problematic is that I find it almost impossible to close one-handed. I can get it over the binos, but it essentially takes two hands to ensure the lid gets all the way over the lip of the rear wall, and quite frankly I’m over it. Hoping to lay hands on the MG Enclosed before buying to see if it addresses that issue.

Is there one that has solved the pistol carrying equation? I’ve looked at the Eberlestock, but many of the reviews say the pistol pocket is fairly small.

Fhf and razco have a deal for an integrated pistol holster that hangs below the harness. Razco also makes them to fit other harnesses. I have one on my Kuiu that has test fit well. Haven't actually used it yet though.