• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Black collar arms straight pull bolt gun?

Frankr

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2012
WEST

Interesting. It’s like a sig cross had an affair with a slutty blaser straight pull rifle.

Wonder how it will shoot.

I love innovation but I think their butt stock needed to be more like the Cross or Fix. Or let you use ar15 butt stocks easily.

Looks to cycle a lot easier than the Savage straight pull does as well.

Reactions: Adam B
If it doesn’t shoot half moa or better I see no point to a straight pull (or any bolt gun for that matter) when you can buy an AR these days that shoots faster, has cheap available parts, comes in many calibers, and shoots 3/4-1” fairly easily

With Savage, Beretta and now this, must be some requests out there for such. I like the use of some AR parts but not a buyer.

Frankr, those were my thoughts exactly!
I have both, and put a deposit down on the MBA- hopefully it will be the best of both worlds...

no bolt gun has a manipulation even remotely as fast as an AR for a follow up shot. If a fast follow up shot is needed (running animal etc) you’d be much better off with an auto loader to begin with. The niche of a straight pull is as folks stated. Using subs with no action noise to be as quiet as possible. However a 16” barrel just adds weight and length to this use case.

From what I’ve seen straight pulls are popular in Europe where they can’t get ARs for hunting boat and the like. It’s as good as they can get. Luckily in the US we can get pretty much anything.

Reactions: reubenski
no bolt gun has a manipulation even remotely as fast as an AR for a follow up shot. If a fast follow up shot is needed (running animal etc) you’d be much better off with an auto loader to begin with. The niche of a straight pull is as folks stated. Using subs with no action noise to be as quiet as possible. However a 16” barrel just adds weight and length to this use case.

From what I’ve seen straight pulls are popular in Europe where they can’t get ARs for hunting boat and the like. It’s as good as they can get. Luckily in the US we can get pretty much anything.

noonecares.gif

Reactions: Eliteii
No, just watched the video that was put up here. Guy really had to muscle it.

I'll have to look for it. All the youtube videos seemed to show a rifle that is relatively smooth and easy to cycle.

But it IS a Savage after all.

If you go to the 3:20 mark it looks like all the jerkiness goes away

Another forum member bought an Impulse predator and posted a report here: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/savage-impulse.7065357/#post-9432754

He made a comment that might explain what I saw in the video you linked, where the shooter hasd trouble at first and then ran the bolt like a champ
Almost every person that has tried to cycle the bolt for the first time forgets that it's straight pull and try to lift up on the bolt while pulling it, causing it to bind. They have no issues once they get used to just pulling it straight back.

Ah, you have to turn the bolt handle to the rear, I can see where that would take some getting used to.

That reminds me of the old saying, you can't miss 'em fast enough...

BTW, bolt guns have a lot less moving parts and honestly the thought of needing spare parts is pretty much nil.

Ah, you have to turn the bolt handle to the rear,

You just have to pull it straight back. The handle pivots a few degrees in a fore and aft arc to unlock the balls at the front of the bolt, then the whole bolt and handle keep on moving backwards.

I think that's the problem. People seem to want to do everything except yank it straight back.

AR-10 magazines? Whose pattern? SR-25? Armalite?

Dumb. Should have stuck to AICS magazines. Since they designed the bolt from the ground up, that should have been a no brainer.

AR-10 magazines? Whose pattern? SR-25? Armalite?

Dumb. Should have stuck to AICS magazines. Since they designed the bolt from the ground up, that should have been a no brainer.
It uses something similar to an AR-10 bolt since it uses normal AR-10 barrel/extension. Thats probably why.

If it doesn’t shoot half moa or better I see no point to a straight pull (or any bolt gun for that matter) when you can buy an AR these days that shoots faster, has cheap available parts, comes in many calibers, and shoots 3/4-1” fairly easily
Try running a suppressed AR under 0 degrees F. I dont care how much or little of what lube you use. It ain't long before you have a mess.

Reactions: No_Call_Reengage
It’ll probably be a decent option in non free states or countries (UK, Canada, etc). Not impressed about it designed around an AR trigger and price is a on the steep side.
I’m not necessarily against SR25 mags as this is obviously has a different purpose than a PRS/LR setup. If I was doing a 16” 6.5 creed I’d go with 123/130s anyways which is perfectly fine with a 2.80 coal magazine. Same with 7mm-08 with 150 ELD-X and 308 with 155 hybrids.

It's the easy button instead of trying to engineer something for the purpose
Yeah, I guess, but I probably would have gravitated to a Rem700 trigger instead.

My comment is folks should stop being poors and just get a Blaser R8 and configure it how they like it and be done with it.

Then you can shoot from .22LR on up to the big African game hunting class cartridges or things like .338LM or .300NM etc.

Reactions: Frankr
This rifle has my attention. I'm not a long range precision guy though. I've taken several scout rifle classes and can run a bolt gun pretty well in a wide variety of situations. Light, handy and fast are priorities. I despise AICS mags for a variety of reasons but none of the problems I have with them translate into issues on long range precision rifles so I don't expect others to see that the way I do.

Would a semi-auto make sense instead? Well... maybe, but why? Heavier, more complex and prone to environmental concerns more than a bolt gun.

There is a whole genre of practical/scout rifles out there and the Sig Cross looked like a great option for this class of gun. I ran one at a Randy Cain class and sold it immediately afterward. It was okay in the practical rifle role, but had too many weird drawbacks for me. This gun though, might just do it.

Reactions: Frankr and st1650
How about a straight pull bullpup??

I’ve watched this one as well since the beginning years ago when it was announced.

Haven’t seen one review video or review posting. Also “spring assist” turned me off, similar to the bushmaster “bolt” action rifle.

I have shot the POF “bolt action” ar10 and while it shot very well, it was a pain to cycle compared to something like a tikka due to the location of the charging handle when shooting prone.

England has a lot of manually operated AR guns and they seem to work well.

Browning had one for a while and Merkel had a similar straight pull.

The coolest one I want to see is the Lynx (fortner) action rifle.

I am hoping this newest rifle (MBA) will help spur more manufactures to look at the straight pull system.

Where I have hunted, we have had to load and unload rifles through out the hunt (crossing fences, getting in and out of vehicles, etc…). Unloading a bolt gun is just more convenient imho. Not to mention cycling one into the chamber can be done quietly more easily with a bolt gun.

Don’t get me wrong. I love hunting with my AR’s but bolt guns have their place and I love hunting with them as well.

Reactions: cliffy110
My comment is folks should stop being poors and just get a Blaser R8 and configure it how they like it and be done with it.

Then you can shoot from .22LR on up to the big African game hunting class cartridges or things like .338LM or .300NM etc.
How good is the 22lr barrel and how does the action cycle with the 22lr set up?

We have one gun store locally that only deals with blaser (high end African hunts etc…). I’ve handled a few models but never shot one. Having all the barrels and what not sounds cool but how effective is it and how does it cycle.

Also doesn’t the newest model have the trigger group and magazine together?

How good is the 22lr barrel and how does the action cycle with the 22lr set up?

We have one gun store locally that only deals with blaser (high end African hunts etc…). I’ve handled a few models but never shot one. Having all the barrels and what not sounds cool but how effective is it and how does it cycle.

Also doesn’t the newest model have the trigger group and magazine together?

I don't have the 22LR kit yet, that may be a future purchase.

The one I have which is setup for .30-06 cycles very smoothly, quickly & reliably.
Much easier and quicker to cycle than a standard bolt action, once you get used to it.
The action is specifically designed to be shot while standing / kneeling as it's from the ground up a hunting rifle.
If you are going to use this only for prone shooting, for target shooting at a range the motion required may not be suited to your prone position.

The trigger group and magazine are a single block unit that can be removed.

The system is designed for being extremely safe during hunting, so pulling out the magazine also pulls out the trigger and decocks the rifle.

Swapping out the barrels is pretty quick, you just need a single hex driver.

You might see if the store would let you try one of their demos using some snap caps.

The prices can go up into the insane world for the top of the line stuff, but you can get in reasonably cheap with the standard Professional stock and standard barrel / trigger group.

Reactions: Frankr
Went and looked at their website and they have a photo (see below) with an ar10 bolt and a better photo of their “bolt carrier”?

Attachments

• 2D88FB53-3987-4385-8DEC-FE702749866C.png
    2D88FB53-3987-4385-8DEC-FE702749866C.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
How does it lock up, I wonder? I was expecting to see some retractable ball bearings, a collet, or something....

no bolt gun has a manipulation even remotely as fast as an AR for a follow up shot. If a fast follow up shot is needed (running animal etc) you’d be much better off with an auto loader to begin with.
Well, that is partly correct.
If you compete at top level in the old Olympic event "Running Deer Doubles", two shots on each run, you loose too many points due to locktime with a hammer rifle compared to striker fired bolt rifle due to size of the x-ring.

Reactions: No_Call_Reengage
How does it lock up, I wonder? I was expecting to see some retractable ball bearings, a collet, or something....

LOL.......a picture of the bolt and bolt head right above your post.

I shoot at a lot of running hogs with a thermal. An AR is the default answer but just as much damage can be done with a larger caliber in a bolt action and 10 round mags. A faster bolt throw that doesn’t upset sight picture as much would be a distinct advantage.