• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Bolt .308 for new long range shooter

UKMan

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2024
Having a hard time deciding what I want to do:

Breakdown (I apologize in advance if it’s long winded):

-wanting to get into long range target shooting. Have access to 1,000 yard range but mostly 200-400 yards most of the time
-might enter a few 600m competitions to get my feet wet in my area
-already have a Ruger rimfire precision I love and take out to 400.
-Am able to get to the range, maybe, a few times a month with other responsibilities but like to shoot a lot when I can get there
-Want a rifle I can step right into and not have to tinker with or piece together which I realize may not have the “best” of everything. Just need it to shoot and work.

———

Right now it seems like the RPR in .308 shooting 168 or 175 FGMM seems like a solid decision based on reviews of it being accurate/reliable, accuracy of .308 for the ranges I want to shoot at, and adjustable for me and my son right out of the box.

Thoughts? I am not new to firearms but new to this sort of thing. When I buy a gun it’s for a long time that I will eventually pass down to my son and I want to make sure I buy quality with quality support from the manufacturer (I have a handful of Ruger’s already which is why I was looking at the RPR).

Heck maybe 6.5 creedmore is the way to go?

Budget is $1500 max for gun alone.

Thanks for any and all help.

Ok, so I am a 308 shooter, why? I like the cartridge and have a ton of great 308 ammo and am not a competitor. My son also likes to shoot , would prefer less recoil and possibly go long, I am setting him up with a 6.5cm. My daughter is a hot rod and likes to shoot, probably a much better shot than me, but hates recoil, will shoot long range she has a 6cm. All fun rifles, if you want to compete go Creedmoor or one of the other hot rods. The 308 is a 1000 yrd gun with the right ammo and person, but will beat you up and make you work. The others are easier. Pick your game figure out what your competition will be using and make the right choices.

Reactions: Slides and UKMan
Thank you for your reply. Not opposed to the 6.5 at all, the .308 is just what the guys I am around shoot so I have never gotten a chance to shoot or witness a 6.5 besides online. I do have a .223 I love, is the 6.5 comparable to the .223 recoil wise with improved ballistics to reach out farther?

I love my 308, probably in a weird way. But...you should 100% get a Creedmore.
Your friends will become jealous and begin to despise your ability to hit at 1k with a higher percentage probability than them.

Reactions: UKMan
“ My daughter is a hot rod and likes to shoot, probably a much better shot than me, but hates recoil, will shoot long range she has a 6cm “

Great advice, well put together, and I apologize for getting off topic but I’ll be danged if every time I read someone abbreviating “6mm Creedmoor” as “6cm” I always read it as 6 centimeter and imagined your daughter shooting a 60mm round and complaining about the recoil

I am a 308 shooter that went to 6.5x47 Lapua because it was a better long-range round at the time I changed over. Since then, the more modern 6.5 Creedmoor has become more popular with allot of manufactures making ammo for it and is a tad bit better at handling 140 grain and heaver bullets (You can load them faster since it more case capacity.). Creedmoor also has lower recoil then 308, which makes it nicer to shoot all day, and would put the recoil a tad bit more then 223 and less than half of 308 in a 12-pound rifle.

For the rifle, I would look at Tikka CTR or a Bergara B-14 in 6.5 Creedmoor over the Ruger RPR and I would look at Burris XTR III for the scope.

I am a 308 shooter that went to 6.5x47 Lapua because it was a better long-range round at the time I changed over. Since then, the more modern 6.5 Creedmoor has become more popular with allot of manufactures making ammo for it and is a tad bit better at handling 140 grain and heaver bullets (You can load them faster since it more case capacity.). Creedmoor also has lower recoil then 308, which makes it nicer to shoot all day, and would put the recoil a tad bit more then 223 and less than half of 308 in a 12-pound rifle.

For the rifle, I would look at Tikka CTR or a Bergara B-14 in 6.5 Creedmoor over the Ruger RPR and I would look at Burris XTR III for the scope.
Thank you! Would need to eventually upgrade the stock to a chassis on those as I have grown fond of the vertical grip on my .22. Any insight into changing barrels on a Bergara? Looks like they are not as easy to be changed as a Ruger or even a savage?

If the great majority of your shooting is 200-400 yards with occasional forays to 1000, you might want to consider a .223 - especially if you handload. I regularly shoot mine to 1000 with Hornady 75-grain ELDM bullets. I recently happened across two big boxes of Sierra 77-grain SMKs that had gotten pushed to the back of the closet after I quit putzing with the AR platform; these are satisfyingly accurate out to 500-600 but they're chubby and lose velocity more than I like for 1000 yards.

Biggest aggravation for longer range is it can be hard to see impacts on steel at distance. I have a gen-3 Vortex Razor (6-36x56) on my .223; I can see impacts on steel at 1000 if there is no (or very little) mirage.

I shoot a few PRS matches each year. Started with 6.5CM. Then I tried a 6BR, which is now my primary match caliber - interestingly, its ballistic arc with my loads is very similar to my .223s.

I might mount the 6.5CM barrel for matches at a venue where wind tends to be high and ranges exceed 1200 yards, but mostly the 6.5 stays in the safe (more specifically, in the corner as I just switch the barrels).

With all that said - I'd look hard at a Tikka T3X Varmint in .223. I'm not a fan of their plastic stocks, but there are plenty of aftermarket stocks/chassis to try. I can also say from experience that it's relatively easy to resell a Tikka with fairly low loss.

My $0.02.

Thank you! Would need to eventually upgrade the stock to a chassis on those as I have grown fond of the vertical grip on my .22. Any insight into changing barrels on a Bergara? Looks like they are not as easy to be changed as a Ruger or even a savage?
You can get prefit barrels for both of them, there are just not that many vendors out there that offer them.

Another option, but it will cost a bit more, is to buy a Solus Action from PVA with a barrel. You will have to buy a trigger, Muzzle Break and chassis to complete it. All of these are bolt on parts and the Solus will take Origin and Savage barrels, so you will have more of a selection to choose from if you ever want to change it.

If the great majority of your shooting is 200-400 yards with occasional forays to 1000, you might want to consider a .223 - especially if you handload. I regularly shoot mine to 1000 with Hornady 75-grain ELDM bullets. I recently happened across two big boxes of Sierra 77-grain SMKs that had gotten pushed to the back of the closet after I quit putzing with the AR platform; these are satisfyingly accurate out to 500-600 but they're chubby and lose velocity more than I like for 1000 yards.

Biggest aggravation for longer range is it can be hard to see impacts on steel at distance. I have a gen-3 Vortex Razor (6-36x56) on my .223; I can see impacts on steel at 1000 if there is no (or very little) mirage.

I shoot a few PRS matches each year. Started with 6.5CM. Then I tried a 6BR, which is now my primary match caliber - interestingly, its ballistic arc with my loads is very similar to my .223s.

I might mount the 6.5CM barrel for matches at a venue where wind tends to be high and ranges exceed 1200 yards, but mostly the 6.5 stays in the safe (more specifically, in the corner as I just switch the barrels).

With all that said - I'd look hard at a Tikka T3X Varmint in .223. I'm not a fan of their plastic stocks, but there are plenty of aftermarket stocks/chassis to try. I can also say from experience that it's relatively easy to resell a Tikka with fairly low loss.

My $0.02.
Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it! I have a savage 110 .223 I use for coyotes. Great gun maybe I can just look into putting that into a chassis for now

You can get prefit barrels for both of them, there are just not that many vendors out there that offer them.

Another option, but it will cost a bit more, is to buy a Solus Action from PVA with a barrel. You will have to buy a trigger, Muzzle Break and chassis to complete it. All of these are bolt on parts and the Solus will take Origin and Savage barrels, so you will have more of a selection to choose from if you ever want to change it.
Thank you! Boy that package option sure is tempting and need to do more research on the option they offer. Kinda what I was trying to avoid BUT it seems I could order everything from them besides the chassis

Thank you! Boy that package option sure is tempting and need to do more research on the option they offer. Kinda what I was trying to avoid BUT it seems I could order everything from them besides the chassis
To be honest, aftermarket manufactures with actions and barrels has made it a bolt together affair that requires little in tools when assembling your rifles. I have built and upgraded a few rifles now and would not even bother to buy new assembled rifle or go to a gunsmith now in less I need machining done.

Here is the last two Remages I built for hunting and shooting steal, and now I am building a Solus short action that will be in a chassis. Also, when you build it, it will be what you want without the waste of having to spend more money on upgrading it to what you want.

Buy this while it's on HUGE discounted sale, and you will have all your bases covered. It's light enough you can even take it hunting... And it's within your budget...

To be honest, aftermarket manufactures with actions and barrels has made it a bolt together affair that requires little in tools when assembling your rifles. I have built and upgraded a few rifles now and would not even bother to buy new assembled rifle or go to a gunsmith now in less I need machining done.

Here is the last two Remages I built for hunting and shooting steal, and now I am building a Solus short action that will be in a chassis. Also, when you build it, it will be what you want without the waste of having to spend more money on upgrading it to what you want.
Thank you! Definitely looking into this more

Buy this while it's on HUGE discounted sale, and you will have all your bases covered. It's light enough you can even take it hunting... And it's within your budget...

Wow! Wonder what the reason is for the massive discount

Aero Precision is known for their AR15 receivers, and now they are making bolt actions and are trying to get into the crowded market, so they are running really good deals to get their new action noticed. They are also coming out with a long action sometime in the near future.

It could be because in these days and times it`s harder to sell $2400 guns? Not everybody`s a high end, well heeled roller.
Edit: In re-reading this, it sounds a little snarky to me. Did not intend for it to be so. I do, however, think that they may be having trouble moving guns at such a price point, though.

I`m in somewhat the same situation as the OP, evaluating guns in the event it becomes official that my club range will expand beyond 500 out to 1K. This would be a hard deal to pass up if indeed it was announced.
Have every intention of keeping my Savage 12 in .223 to shoot out to about 600. It`s just too much fun.....and a lot cheaper!

Last edited:
I have the Solus Bravo in .308 and it's a really nice gun for a good price. If recoil is an issue, add an Area 419 Hellfire Match and it really makes it a soft shooter (but loud, double up on plugs and muffs)

I have the Solus Bravo in .308 and it's a really nice gun for a good price. If recoil is an issue, add an Area 419 Hellfire Match and it really makes it a soft shooter (but loud, double up on plugs and muffs)
This, and at least try to put a little distance if possible between you and the guy shooting next to you at the range. From first hand experience, believe me when I say that it`ll be GREATLY appreciated by your fellow shooters!

I use the ATS brake on my 308 and it greatly reduced the felt recoil and the concussion turns into just strong wind. Very different from the Gen3 APA LIL bastard I had on it before.

Everything is a compromise.
Looks like your in Ohio.
Are you handy with simple tools?
The RPR changes barrels just like an AR15, with the Solus, you can order pre-fit barrels, or use a barrel nut. Just a couple of simple tools, and bobs your uncle.
The RPR is a pretty good rifle, it weighs quite a bit and the butt stock is not great (can be replaced), but you are stuck with the footprint, while you can change the foreend and buttstock, it is what it is.
The Solus comes in a good stock, and being a 700 footprint, the choices in stocks and chassis are almost limitless.

When it comes to chambering, there is nothing wrong with the .308, a 155 grain ELD-M easily reaches beyond 1000 yards and does so with less recoil than the 168 or 175.
It is FAR easier on barrels. Figure 6,000 plus for the .308.
The 6.5 CM will burn out a barrel in about 2500 rounds, the 6mm closer to 1800 - 2000.
A prefit barrel will run you 400 - 600 US Dollars.
There are several other options, but if you can get that Solus for less than 1500, kinda seems like a no brainer.
The Howa rifles are an excellent buy as well, and typically shoot very well.

Will for sure look into the brakes! I normally just throw my Bowers group VERS 375 on my current guns and it takes them all down a notch

Looks like your in Ohio.
The RPR changes barrels just like an AR15, with the Solus, you can order pre-fit barrels, or use a barrel nut. Just a couple of simple tools, and bobs your uncle.
The RPR is a pretty good rifle, it weighs quite a bit and the butt stock is not great (can be replaced), but you are stuck with the footprint, while you can change the foreend and buttstock, it is what it is.
The Solus comes in a good stock, and being a 700 footprint, the choices in stocks and chassis are almost limitless.

When it comes to chambering, there is nothing wrong with the .308, a 155 grain ELD-M easily reaches beyond 1000 yards and does so with less recoil than the 168 or 175.
The 6.5 CM will burn out a barrel in about 2500 rounds, the 6mm closer to 1800 - 2000.
There are several other options, but if you can get that Solus for less than 1500, kinda seems like a no brainer.
Appreciate your response!

That is interesting about the 155 grain ELD-M going to 1,000 yards and beyond. I was under the impression that the 175 are the go to for that distance?

I am a very budget individual with other priorities in life so honestly the .308 for pure longevity seems like the best play.

I have always had very good customer service from Ruger which is why I was looking at the RPR and people generally seems happy with them even though price has gone up. From a quick look at Aeros website it does look like they run a tight ship. Normally like to get my hands on a gun before I buy so may have to do some looking around to find one.

Last edited:
Appreciate your response!

That is interesting about the 155 grain ELD-M going to 1,000 yards and beyond. I was under the impression that the 175 are the go to for that distance?

I am a very budget individual with other priorities in life so honestly the .308 for pure longevity seems like the best play.

I have always had very good customer service from Ruger which is why I was looking at the RPR and people generally seems happy with them even though price has gone up. From a quick look at Aeros website it does look like they run a tight ship. Normally like to get my hands on a gun before I buy so may have to do some looking around to find one.
The 155 ELD M has a slightly higher BC than the 168 SMK, the 168 SMK is an outstanding, accurate bullet, but it is designed for 300 meter competition.
The 175, of course is longer, but the real difference is the boattail.
They make a 169 SMK, which addresses the shortcomings of long range for the 168.
There are videos of folks shooting the 155 ELD m to 1 mile in the .308. Certainly not ideal, but shows you that the bullet itself handles the transsonic barrier just fine.
Honestly, I prefer the 7mm-08, but that is a striclty handloaders round for long range. I have a custom .308 that I love to shoot. I usually buy the factory seconds bullets for informal shooting.
An FYI, the 168 ELD bullet does not suffer from the same short boattail the SMK does and can be used at 1000 as well.

It’s 2024…..the only question that 308 is the correct answer.

What belongs in a museum?

Image 1.jpeg

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Hickswr and UKMan
Nothing wrong with choosing a 308 for your shooting up to 1000yd.
An easy choice, if you reload there are tons of new components, powders and bullets, to improve its performance.
Should have st least a 22" barrel, 26" better for LR. But the 22" will do.
The 155 gr 308 will have similar recoil to the smaller 6.5 CM with 140 gr. And probably ya need. I ran these 8000 rds per barrel change, with 155 Lapua.
The new 169 gr SMK has a pretty fair BC and can be driven to 2900 fps with handloads, in my 22".
The 200 SMK is especially useful if you have a 9 twist barrel, with a .715 BC at 2740 fps. In 22" bolt gun, single load for LR, in case you want to go to a mile, with a 308.

My serious 308s shoot 200 gr SMK to 230 Atips with 8 and 9 twist barrels to 30", one in long action, but not needed for a mere 1000yds, but nice, and very easy to shoot in heavy guns.
Lots of choices, in the 308, to choose the performance you want, or can afford, and improve on it later.

Looks like your in Ohio.

Have been having fun evaluating guns for 1K shooting. Somewhat torn between 6.5 Creed and .308. I`m not a reloader, so will be shooting factory whatever. Like the 6.5`s ballistics and performance. Like the .308`s barrel life.

Nothing wrong with choosing a 308 for your shooting up to 1000yd.
An easy choice, if you reload there are tons of new components, powders and bullets, to improve its performance.
Should have st least a 22" barrel, 26" better for LR. But the 22" will do.
The 155 gr 308 will have similar recoil to the smaller 6.5 CM with 140 gr. And probably ya need. I ran these 8000 rds per barrel change, with 155 Lapua.
The new 169 gr SMK has a pretty fair BC and can be driven to 2900 fps with handloads, in my 22".
The 200 SMK is especially useful if you have a 9 twist barrel, with a .715 BC at 2740 fps. In 22" bolt gun, single load for LR, in case you want to go to a mile, with a 308.

My serious 308s shoot 200 gr SMK to 230 Atips with 8 and 9 twist barrels to 30", one in long action, but not needed for a mere 1000yds, but nice, and very easy to shoot in heavy guns.
Lots of choices, in the 308, to choose the performance you want, or can afford, and improve on it later.
thank you! There are some 600m completions around me as well and from what I have been reading a .308 will hang with the best of them at that distance with the right bullet. I do not reload now but it sure is something I am going to look into in the future. Sounds like buying match ammo right from the start and keeping the brass around "just in case" is the way to go. Also like the sound of the 155 grain! appreciate your insight.

Reactions: 45-90
Especially if buying an off the shelf rifle go 6.5. I have both, unless you are going to run a heavy chassis and straight taper or full profile 26inch plus barrel (and want 308 to shoot a specific competition class) the 6.5 is nicer to shoot and bullet styles being equal will beat 308 on wind deflection.