• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Brand New straight out of box Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 1 and Gen 2 factory defectiveNO warranty NO replacement by Athlon Optics WARNING BUYER BEWARE!!!

Just a warning to EVERYONE based on my own FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE here.

I have had my first top of the line Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 that had a defective illuminated reticle which only lights up 2/3's of the reticle while the other lower left hand portion is really dim ever since it was brand new straight out of it's box and dealer told me they got lifetime warranty so don't worry just send it in and wasn't purchased from a return friendly dealer OBVIOUSLY.

Denied warranty for a brand spanking new never used UNmounted (NEVER BEEN MOUNTED) top of the line Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 straight out of the box.

Athlon warranty and customer service manager higher up in charge stated within specs and not a factory defect based on design SOME percentage in their sample lots NEW MODELS and OLDER Cronus BTRs WILL have this noticeable dead spot in lack of illumination and to then it's TOTALLY NORMAL to have some Cronus BTR G1 and newer G2s with this very noticeable issue AND they will NEVER EVER (specific up front quote by manager) exchange them for brand new replacements as long as reticle illumination turns on regardless if it's dark on one portion and even if it's like this brand new straight out of their boxes. The Athlon sent in for warranty has to be obviously defective due to manufacture defect and not abused or dropped and that manager even stated they are NOT LIKE VORTEX REGARDING WARRANTY EXCHANGES FOR BRAND NEW SCOPES (UNQUOTE). Found out first hand the hard way. Illuminated reticles with deadbor dark spots or non consistent illumination over entire reticle aren't considered a manufacture defect.

I asked how about the Ares BTR Gen 2 and Midas Tac scopes which are my all time Athlon brand favorites what about if they have defective illuminated reticles? He said they won't because only the Cronus BTR line both new and old has this very obvious dark spot when the illumination turned on phenomenon at all brightness settings and zero illumination issues with the Chinese Ares BTR Gen 2 since they got a totally different illuminated reticle design and Midas Tac doesn't even have illuminated reticle anyway.

If you're even thinking of buying an Athlon Cronus please be sure to insist the dealer open the sealed box and install battery to check reticle at all illumination settings make damn sure it's perfect not dark on one part of the reticle before shipping otherwise you be stuck with one you won't get warranty exchange on due to illumination defect that Athlon straight out doesn't consider to be defective and will not improve on this obvious manufacturing issue I already asked that manager he said no plans to introduce any improvements nor have any plans for a Gen 3 Cronus at least past 2025.

The other recommendations is that Athlon customer service warranty manager said to buy the Nightforce sunshade for it and go read "snipers hide" for which model Nightforce sunshade and where to buy since I stated my Amazon problems buying several different Athlon factory sunshades multiple times returns and all that did not fit or did not match in color.

They do not have any plans to address the manufacturing issue with illuminated reticle nor improve on the fitment and color of the sunshades since they don't buy their sunshades from same manufacture of their scopes while he stated Nightforce buys the sunshade from same JAPAN manufacture as their scopes that's why they match perfectly no wonder because he even said the Cronus BTR Gen 1 and 2 are in fact made at that exact same Nightforce factory in JAPAN that's why the Nightforce sunshade fits and perfectly matches the Athlon Cronus. He said the genuine Japan sunshade cost too much so they decided to buy from other much cheaper manufacture that's why they don't fit or match perfectly and they have to charge at least $55 for it if they used proper genuine JAPAN OEM for the sunshade. (Strange since the Japan made Nightforce sunshade cost $30.00 MSRP RETAIL regular price when bought direct from Nightforce USA)

At least that higher up Athlon customer service warranty manager said the Ares BTR Gen 2 and Midas Tac no need worry about illumination issues unlike the Cronus BTR Gen 2 if you're one of the unlucky ones with the half side lit illuminated reticle they will not replace under warranty.

Fortunately (for me) the brand new Cronus BTR Gen 2 I received last week illumination is absolutely perfect aside from the unbelievably nearly unmanageable overly stiff turrets and controls with really sharp edges that WILL give everyone blisters if they don't use gloves. The manager even claimed due to Athlon upgrading to all stainless steel internals make everything super tight compared to my older much smoother controls Cronus BTR with illumination issue that's not covered under warranty.

Funny since my much cheaper Chinese made Ares BTR Gen 2s and Midas Tacs also have stainless steel internals too but have way smoother knobs and function that don't give me blisters or peeled bloody skin on my fingers.

Remember that manager outright said WE AREN'T LIKE VORTEX!!!

Better believe it.

I no longer recommend buying the Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 or any used Cronus BTR scopes regardless of price. If you get a replacement with a crappy illuminated reticle you're SOL no warranty.

Buy the Ares BTR Gen 2 or Midas Tac instead. Or better yet spend a little extra for an Element Theos around just over $2000 or Black Vortex Razor Gen 3 for $2450 I can guarantee you will be much happier especially with the Vortex Razor Gen 3 where you get absolutely no BS about warranty that's 4 sure. Too bad the new Cronus BTR Gen 2 is clearer than my Tract Toric ELR but the Tract Toric has night and day buttery smoother controls like a perfectly well oiled machine except for the stiff illumination knob.

Why am I not totally surprised since the owners of Athlon used to work for BUSHNELL!!!
Glad I found this… “not like Vortex” was enough for me. I’ll stick with NF and Vortex scopes. I was needing some new navigation for a new rifle, and was looking into them. Having some acceptable defect % is a bit worry some. I doubt I would’ve bought one, but I remember when Vortex was the new kid, and I snubbed my nose at them.. They’ve been a great company! Between Vortex and NF, they have everything I need (want)

Glad I found this… “not like Vortex” was enough for me. I’ll stick with NF and Vortex scopes. I was needing some new navigation for a new rifle, and was looking into them. Having some acceptable defect % is a bit worry some. I doubt I would’ve bought one, but I remember when Vortex was the new kid, and I snubbed my nose at them.. They’ve been a great company! Between Vortex and NF, they have everything I need (want)
You are writing off Athlon based on this thread and this guy?

This is hilarious. I had an issue with the parallax Cel on my Cronus and the elevation turret was quite stiff. Sent it in and a brand new one arrived at my door about a week later. Athlon was great to me I have several of their scopes.

You are writing off Athlon based on this thread and this guy?
Yes. (Sort of) Why on earth would I buy one? What do they do better than Vortex or Nightforce? Price? If he’s telling the truth, they’re not like Vortex on warranty.. The Razor line performs great and works every time. (Can’t beat the warranty for stupid/accidents ) ATACR and NX8’s haven’t failed me. Things are built like tanks and track.. Always. But, as I stated in my post, vortex was once the new kid.. I will sit back and watch and wait.. I don’t like when a company tells me “good enough” when I spend $2-3k on glass and find a problem (for me) that’s not a problem for them.. They should’ve fixed, replaced, or refunded his $. The story would be significantly different then.. That said, you buy-’em, use the piss out of them, and let us all know how good OR bad they perform. I’ll listen to your experience and go from there. Im sure I’ll have one or two that will need nav in the near future. It’s the G3 razor for this build. ✌🏻

Yes. (Sort of) Why on earth would I buy one? What do they do better than Vortex or Nightforce? Price? If he’s telling the truth, they’re not like Vortex on warranty.. The Razor line performs great and works every time. (Can’t beat the warranty for stupid/accidents ) ATACR and NX8’s haven’t failed me. Things are built like tanks and track.. Always. But, as I stated in my post, vortex was once the new kid.. I will sit back and watch and wait.. I don’t like when a company tells me “good enough” when I spend $2-3k on glass and find a problem (for me) that’s not a problem for them.. They should’ve fixed, replaced, or refunded his $. The story would be significantly different then.. That said, you buy-’em, use the piss out of them, and let us all know how good OR bad they perform. I’ll listen to your experience and go from there. Im sure I’ll have one or two that will need nav in the near future. It’s the G3 razor for this build. ✌🏻
Simply put, because it's one guy's extremely unreliable account of his experience. As if there's neeeeeever been a failure with NF or Razor. Rock on.

Last edited:
Simply put, because it's one guys unreliable opinion. As if there's neeeeeever been a failure with NF or Razor. Rock on.
Simply put- I’ve never had an issue with my current choice in optics. (I also use Swarovski) Why change when I’m satisfied with what I’m using, to something more questionable all around? I’m not rich, but if I’m spending $2k another $500 isn’t going to hurt much. IMO the warranty is worth the difference on Vortex, and reputation makes NF worth the extra cost. But, like I said.. I’ll keep waiting and watching.- Keep it dry! 👍

Simply put- I’ve never had an issue with my current choice in optics. (I also use Swarovski) Why change when I’m satisfied with what I’m using, to something more questionable all around? I’m not rich, but if I’m spending $2k another $500 isn’t going to hurt much. IMO the warranty is worth the difference on Vortex, and reputation makes NF worth the extra cost. But, like I said.. I’ll keep waiting and watching.- Keep it dry! 👍
Look, I'm not trying to argue or push Athlon because I honestly don't care. But, you haven't been watching or waiting because if you were you'd have seen the dozens of threads here and elsewhere that indicate Athlon is generally GTG. Particularly when they can be had on sale or through discount programs. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksanderSuave
I've got a few, two cronus, two ares, and a midas tac. First cronus is still working well, been used a a lot of matches. Haven't had a problem with any of them. Have a new G3 razor, it's good, but the cronus wasn't holding me back.

Reactions: 1AvgMarksman
The OP hasn't been back since the day after he posted this POS thread.

Perfect time to necro this, since Athlon just did 60% off on expertvoice.

Prepare for the incoming PX posts of "like new" demo models.