• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Brownell's 5-25x56 MPO is finally in stock!

I got the email alert yesterday that it was in stock finally. I not looking at buying anytime soon. Just curious about performance and bang for the buck. Is there a center dot in the reticle or is it a void center like the erb-2c?

I got the email alert yesterday that it was in stock finally. I not looking at buying anytime soon. Just curious about performance and bang for the buck. Is there a center dot in the reticle or is it a void center like the erb-2c?
center dot

Good lord what is up with the double horizontal and vertical lined cross hair?

BROWNELLS - MATCH PRECISION OPTIC (MPO) 5-25X56MM RIFLE SCOPE
For us guys that aren’t magnification whores, it could work. The thin .03mil lines typical in most scopes is too thin for some of us. Visually thicker on lower magnification settings, and when dialed up, shoot between the lines like an open center reticle. Seems that way to me at least. I wouldn’t mind trying one out. Probably will just buy one like I always do. What’s another thousand. Lol

At first I thought that too. Then I started thinking it through. It's actually pretty clever, IMO. Definitely valuable at low power.

I have their 3-18x50 with that reticle and it really works well across the entire magnification range. Keeping the reticle visible on low power with FFP scopes is always a challenge and this is a clever way to approach it.

ILya

I'm curious how the Brownells MPO stacks up against the Crimson Trace 5-series?

I have 3-18x50 versions of both.

ILya
A 3-18 will be my next next purchase. I trusted your judgment with the Minox ZP5 and I'm impressed by it. I'll wait to hear your results between these 2 optics.

I'm curious as to how you dial windage when there are no windage markings????

View attachment 7207846
  • 34mm Main Tube
  • Reticle and Turrets in MRAD for quick and easy adjustments
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated N-OMR™ System
  • Fully multicoated lenses for fog and waterproof performance
  • Capped Windage turret prevent accidental adjustment
The Brownells 5-25x56mm MPO is the perfect optic for the long-range competitor whose budget is not unlimited, or somebody who wants to get started in the sport.

Reactions: Bender
Between the Crimson Trace 5-series and Brownells MPO 3-18x50 models, I prefer the MPO. These are clearly related designs, although there are some differences, like close focus and slight FOV differences, the image quality is extremely similar.

Given that the MPO is a lot less expensive, I would lean toward that.

Also, I happen to prefer the MPO's reticle (although I have not tested all of CT's reticles) and turrets. Both scopes seem to track, but I need to do more testing. I do like the covered windage turret of the MPO and the feel of the elevatio turret is better on the MPO. CT turret clicks are lighter and there is a little slop between clicks.

ILya

It seems Brownells did their homework with these and with their guarantee there's no reason not to try it. You can literally run it for a year and return it for a full refund if you're not happy with it instead of having to dump it for a 25-30% loss on the used market. Great for the consumer really, a purchase doesn't get any more safe than that.

The promo codes don’t work on these scopes FWIW FYI

So no $900 scopes. Would have been close to $1100 after the commies and shipping get their cut

I see they are giving it a lifetime warranty; anyone have any idea how they will handle servicing these things?

Bob

Bro, it’s brownells. Unless this falls under special items, your good.

Attachments

• 98E5F347-B2D9-4A70-9A12-3A9AF580458B.jpeg
    98E5F347-B2D9-4A70-9A12-3A9AF580458B.jpeg
    969.3 KB · Views: 180
Got two of the 3-18s in. For what it's worth, one has a mushy illumination knob. One has more "play" in the elevation turret than the other. Neither of the scopes' windage turret markings line up. That's all the criticisms I've got, so far. Haven't taken them out for a look-see, yet.

Between the Crimson Trace 5-series and Brownells MPO 3-18x50 models, I prefer the MPO. These are clearly related designs, although there are some differences, like close focus and slight FOV differences, the image quality is extremely similar.

Also, I happen to prefer the MPO's reticle (although I have not tested all of CT's reticles) and turrets. Both scopes seem to track, but I need to do more testing. I do like the covered windage turret of the MPO and the feel of the elevatio turret is better on the MPO. CT turret clicks are lighter and there is a little slop between clicks.

ILya
The Crimson Trace and the Brownells MPO come from the same factory.

ILya
The Crimson Trace and Brownells MPO look like they come from the same factory at Japan Optics LTD. https://panjiva.com/Japan-Optical-Co-Ltd/45784960

I just purchased the higher magnification version of the MPO. If it compares favorably to my Vector Optics Continental, i will keep it. I would love your opinion on the Vector Optics Continental SCOL-22T vs the Brownells MPO 6-25x56. The glass especially, as Vector says they use Schott glass, and the Brownells uses Japan Optics glass. I compared the Vector to a SightMark Pinnacle and Zeiss Conquest, and I could not tell the difference, but I am sure your experienced eyes are better than mine.

Usually, but Illya comes up with very detailed nuances in optics that I do not have the experience to find. As an example, in one of his Youtube vids on 50mm objective scopes, he notes that the Nightforce has distortion on the very edge, where in a stressful situation, the human eye would see that as movement and may cause issues.

Not being in the optics field or an operator, I may not have noticed that level of detail. Thats why expert advice helps sometimes. Also, I think the Vector scopes have VERY nice glass( 4 inch eye relief, superb clarity, outstanding brightness day and night at all zoom levels), but I would love Illya's opinion on the full system (turrets, build quality, etc). I think that is why he included the Brownells MPO in with scopes costing 4x the cost. It's all about value, and it seems Brownells may have figured that out with the MPO being disruptive at the price they are setting at. That's how Vortex got so popular.

Chinese optics companies have come a long way over the years. If Vector can manufacture a quality product at a disruptive price point using excellent components and workmanship, and backs it with a lifetime guarantee just like the big boys, why waste thousands of dollars for an etched name brand?

You can see the clarity of the Vector Optics Schott glass here. Late afternoon in my backyard.

continental.jpg

Usually, but Illya comes up with very detailed nuances in optics that I do not have the experience to find. As an example, in one of his Youtube vids on 50mm objective scopes, he notes that the Nightforce has distortion on the very edge, where in a stressful situation, the human eye would see that as movement and may cause issues.

Not being in the optics field or an operator, I may not have noticed that level of detail. Thats why expert advice helps sometimes. Also, I think the Vector scopes have VERY nice glass( 4 inch eye relief, superb clarity, outstanding brightness day and night at all zoom levels), but I would love Illya's opinion on the full system (turrets, build quality, etc). I think that is why he included the Brownells MPO in with scopes costing 4x the cost. It's all about value, and it seems Brownells may have figured that out with the MPO being disruptive at the price they are setting at. That's how Vortex got so popular.

Chinese optics companies have come a long way over the years. If Vector can manufacture a quality product at a disruptive price point using excellent components and workmanship, and backs it with a lifetime guarantee just like the big boys, why waste thousands of dollars for an etched name brand?

You can see the clarity of the Vector Optics Schott glass here. Late afternoon in my backyard.

View attachment 7217762
I view it a little differently. If I don’t notice it, is it really a nuance? I read reviews as well but take them for what they are regardless of who wrote it. Nothing against Illya of course, he has a trained eye and sees and criticizes things that may or may not make a difference beyond those with a similar passion with optics themselves.

Last edited:
I view it a little differently. If I don’t notice it, is it really a nuance? I read reviews as well but take them for what they are regardless of who wrote it. Nothing against Illya of course, he has a trained eye and sees and criticizes things that may or may not make a difference beyond those with a similar passion with optics themselves.

This is a very reasonable approach.

I go to great lengths to explain what I see and why I make the decisions I do. The idea is for you to take that information and form your own, hopefully better informed that it was before, opinion.

I am not trying to make the decision for anyone else. If I were, I would sound a lot more like TRex or other reviewers who are more preoccupied with influencing you a particular way than with providing information.

ILya

This is a very reasonable approach.

I go to great lengths to explain what I see and why I make the decisions I do. The idea is for you to take that information and form your own, hopefully better informed that it was before, opinion.

I am not trying to make the decision for anyone else. If I were, I would sound a lot more like TRex or other reviewers who are more preoccupied with influencing you a particular way than with providing information.

ILya
Thanks for adding to the discussion Ilya. My dad was a Photographer, and so is my Son. As an award winning master photographer, Dad was very opinionated on optical excellence. My Son has like a million followers on Instagram, and he is also very opinionated on optical quality. (He is actually rebuilding from scratch the camera used to take that awesome photo of earth from the moon by Buzz Aldrin, so he knows a lot about how glass can affect images).

I listen to them, because they have studied and dealt with optics quite a bit more than me, so I leverage their insight and experience to learn what good means and what to stay away from. But thats for camera optics. I believe Ilya has WAY more experience and knowledge on the subject of rifle scopes, so just like my Dad and my Son, i like to watch his videos and learn about what good optics systems are supposed to look like.

Of course I will form my own opinion from my own experiences, but having experts like Ilya show me the ropes is extreemly helpful before I plop down a couple grand on a piece of glass for a hobby. It's like buying a used car. I like Value for my money, and if Brownells or a Chinese company offer a great deal, It helps to have the opinion of an expert to check it out before taking the plunge.

@koshkin, I am glad you took that comment like it was meant to be and it didn’t get morphed into something it wasn’t. The latter seems to happen far too often.

Reactions: 19dsniper
Thanks for adding to the discussion Ilya. My dad was a Photographer, and so is my Son. As an award winning master photographer, Dad was very opinionated on optical excellence. My Son has like a million followers on Instagram, and he is also very opinionated on optical quality. (He is actually rebuilding from scratch the camera used to take that awesome photo of earth from the moon by Buzz Aldrin, so he knows a lot about how glass can affect images).

I listen to them, because they have studied and dealt with optics quite a bit more than me, so I leverage their insight and experience to learn what good means and what to stay away from. But thats for camera optics. I believe Ilya has WAY more experience and knowledge on the subject of rifle scopes, so just like my Dad and my Son, i like to watch his videos and learn about what good optics systems are supposed to look like.

Of course I will form my own opinion from my own experiences, but having experts like Ilya show me the ropes is extreemly helpful before I plop down a couple grand on a piece of glass for a hobby. It's like buying a used car. I like Value for my money, and if Brownells or a Chinese company offer a great deal, It helps to have the opinion of an expert to check it out before taking the plunge.

PM me your son's Instagram handle. I am curious. I spent a good part of my career developing image sensors for high end photography, movie and broadcast cameras.

ILya

Reactions: Bender
PM me your son's Instagram handle. I am curious. I spent a good part of my career developing image sensors for high end photography, movie and broadcast cameras.

ILya

Koskin, what’s your YouTube channel? Would really like to watch some of your videos

Promo codes don't apply to these scopes, unfortunately:

1578450127047.png

I just bought a 5-25x56 MPO scope from Brownells Norway. I am going to send I back.

Some issues.

Turret/turret cap has a bit to sharp edges. I would expect them to eat through the fabric in my Eberlestock backpac if nothing is done to cover the sharp edges. If I was going to keep the scope I would probably make a radius on the edge or buy some tubing end caps to cover the turrets.

Two different sizes Allen keys needed for the turrets, 2mm and 2.5mm. The 2mm key is for the M3 screw that holds the windage turret cap. Why they did not use a M4 screw is beyond me to understand as there is plenty room for a bigger screw.

The zoom ring fit is rather sloppy. Pushing forward on the throw lever opens up a gap off approximately 0.5 mm.

Somewhat more annoying.

Reticle distortion/focus. There is a bit of distortion of the reticle if I move my head up/down or sideways. It look just like the reticle rotates slightly around either the horizontal or vertical axis as I move my eye from the center.

Now the big reason for returning the scope.

Sloppy fitting windage turret. The fit of the threads in the windage turret is atrocious . Hardware store screws and nuts has better fit.

Pushing down on alternating sides of the turret rocks it approximately 1 mm back and forth. Looking into the scope from the objective side, the stem of the turret can clearly be seen moving around.

Maybe I will have to take a closer look at the Optika line from Meopta.

I just bought a 5-25x56 MPO scope from Brownells Norway. I am going to send I back.

Some issues.

Turret/turret cap has a bit to sharp edges. I would expect them to eat through the fabric in my Eberlestock backpac if nothing is done to cover the sharp edges. If I was going to keep the scope I would probably make a radius on the edge or buy some tubing end caps to cover the turrets.

Two different sizes Allen keys needed for the turrets, 2mm and 2.5mm. The 2mm key is for the M3 screw that holds the windage turret cap. Why they did not use a M4 screw is beyond me to understand as there is plenty room for a bigger screw.

The zoom ring fit is rather sloppy. Pushing forward on the throw lever opens up a gap off approximately 0.5 mm.

Somewhat more annoying.

Reticle distortion/focus. There is a bit of distortion of the reticle if I move my head up/down or sideways. It look just like the reticle rotates slightly around either the horizontal or vertical axis as I move my eye from the center.

Now the big reason for returning the scope.

Sloppy fitting windage turret. The fit of the threads in the windage turret is atrocious . Hardware store screws and nuts has better fit.

Pushing down on alternating sides of the turret rocks it approximately 1 mm back and forth. Looking into the scope from the objective side, the stem of the turret can clearly be seen moving around.

Maybe I will have to take a closer look at the Optika line from Meopta.
So are you saying you would or wouldn’t recommend to a friend?

@freeride,
Thanks for the review. That's disappointing to hear....

I'm looking really hard at this as an option. Its kinda between the MPO, XTRII, or Optika 6 so if anybody has any experience with any combination I would really appreciate hearing about it. I'm literally going tomorrow to start donating plasma to fund my scope ? so hopefully by the time I have the cash Brownells has this squared away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mechdesigner