• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Building a "Enfield P14 WW1 sniper" in 338 Lapua?

TorF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2003
Norway
I have an A-Square Hannibal in 338 A-Square Mag, very similar to 338-378 Weatherby. After watching a video from Forgotten Weapons on Youtube about a P14 sniper rifle I sort of figured out it would be fun to make a copy of the WW1 sniper rifle chambered for 338 Lapua. I know it is crazy, but what the hell :)

Any thoughts?

Here's the video:

Here's my rifle and inspiration:

338.jpg

Reactions: sandwarrior
Be very careful I own one in 30-06 and love it. But some of these older rifles had problems with inconsistent heat treating and to make one into a 338 Lapua or more powerful cartridge might be dangerous.

i-XXsWVFw-L.jpg

Reactions: sandwarrior
I'd say definitely to check the heat treating out if you plan on doing this. Which factory did it come from?

However, what you have there looks like a very nice custom job in itself. Were I you, I would look around for a butchered donor or a stripped action.

here's an action:
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/p14-enfield-action-with-30-06-bolt.aspx.

IIRC, you are not in the U.S.? I don't know how hard it would be to get one exported and shipped.

There are some original P14s and P17s floating around in Norway. They are very cheap here. Usually less than $200. Original military rifles are cheap here. I figured I just could modify the magazine, open the boltface and fit a new barrel. I'm going to look for a rifle from Winchester or Remington and get it checked out by competent people.

The most powerful load in a P14 A-Square is the 577 Trex. 750gr bullet at 2450fps. Have a look on Youtube :)

Last edited:
Its not crazy if you want it. Remember slaves get what they need, freemen get what they want.

In the mid 70s a guy gave me a M1917 action. While I was trying to figure out what to do with it, I read an article by Carmichael where he made a 416 Rigby on a M1917 action.

I got to thinking, I just might get invited to go to Africa hunting and would have to turn it down because I didnt have a rifle so I made a 416 Rigby with that action. Never got the invite but it was still fun.

Still got the rifle, damn thing kicks like a mule, but its fun shooting cast bullets.

The Eddystone rifles are known for receiver hardness but, to the best of my knowledge, the rifles with cracks in their receivers were all M1917s that had been arsenal repaired with new barrels during WWII. Apparently the original barrels were very tightly fitted. I do not know if the square threading contributed to that issue BUT I would imagine that a typical gunsmith who was not working on piece rates would take due care and warm up the receiver with a blow torch before spinnng it off such a tightly fitted barrel.

A magnaflux test would be a sensible precaution. Good luck with your project.

By the way, the first gun writer to build a .338 Lapua hunting rifle was Graham Henry, who unfortunately passed away from cancer in 2002. A subsequent editor of Barnes cartridges has removed that story from the book, in an apparent fit of xenophobia, but history is history. Graham was a great guy, and also that rarity, an honest gun writer, a local equivalent to Sam Fadala but far less prolific. I remember reading the story in New Zealand Rod & Rifle, including his account of goat hunting at what would normally be silly ranges with that rifle. Graham was an NZNRA shooter, competing at 500 to 1,000 yards, typically at Seddon Range so, for him, such long range shooting at animals was responsible.

Last edited: