• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Calculating down range velocities past 100 yards

waveslayer

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2012
    CA
    Since downloading Coldbore I have been toying with the idea of getting my true BC.

So any suggestions on how to get my velocity downrange at 200, 300, 400 plus yards? Am I stuck with using some old school chronos?

I currently run.a Labradar , and or Magnetospeed.

Thoughts?

Maybe buying some crap F1 chronos and throwing them downrange at distance and going that route. But garbage in garbage out.. I will have to verify their accuracy, which brings up another problem.

Anyone know how to get the Labradar to work past 120 yards?

Lots of questions

well getting a chrono to work downrange isnt easy because you would have to shoot through the sensor. pretty much need doppler. a albradar wont work because it wont be triggered, it needs the muzzle blast.

Stick a sheet of aluminum foil on both sides of a tennis racket and clip a wire to each sheet. Then use a battery and voltage drop to simulate a microphone output. That should jack into the external trigger of the LabRadar. When the bullet passes through the head of the racquet it will bridge the foil and trigger the RADAR.
    Cheers,

Reactions: waveslayer
    Over the last eight or nine years I've owned six different 45-70 rifles. I have two full pages of different loads on a spreadsheet and each powder, powder weight, bullet, and primer is listed. Over that time I've used quite a few different bullets in weights ranging from 300g up to 480g. In all of that, I've never gotten as good accuracy with the lighter bullets as I have with the heavier ones. The 300g bullets would have been "deer capable" as far as accuracy goes, but the 400g weight range bullets were always head and shoulders above the lighter ones. FWIW, this is probably one of the least fussy calibers I've ever loaded for. Many, many different powders work very well. If you're going to be using cast bullets, that's a whole new opportunity for success or failure. If you haven't slugged your bore, do it before even starting if you're going to be using cast bullets.
    Is it possible you posted in the wrong thread?

Reactions: waveslayer
    Over the last eight or nine years I've owned six different 45-70 rifles. I have two full pages of different loads on a spreadsheet and each powder, powder weight, bullet, and primer is listed. Over that time I've used quite a few different bullets in weights ranging from 300g up to 480g. In all of that, I've never gotten as good accuracy with the lighter bullets as I have with the heavier ones. The 300g bullets would have been "deer capable" as far as accuracy goes, but the 400g weight range bullets were always head and shoulders above the lighter ones. FWIW, this is probably one of the least fussy calibers I've ever loaded for. Many, many different powders work very well. If you're going to be using cast bullets, that's a whole new opportunity for success or failure. If you haven't slugged your bore, do it before even starting if you're going to be using cast bullets.
    What? Did u post this in the wrong thread?