• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Caliber for Mountain Lion

Sinocopa

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2018
Rapid City, SD
What is the best caliber for mountain lion hunting? What optics is everyone using? And do any of you carry a side arm with you? New to lion hunting, so trying to get as much information as possible!! Any advice and information is welcome !!

I used a Glock 20 10mm for a side arm. Best caliber, depends on how you're hunting them. Treed? Anything really that you can ensure a good shot placement . I used a rifle after 11 mile hike ! I was going to use a handgun, but after being so tired I just used a rifle I had on hand and ended my chase. It was 30 cal rifle and way overboard.

I'm in mountain lion/cougar territory almost daily here in NW Montana. Never hunted them myself, but know many who do. They are not particularly tough animals to dispatch from what I understand. Many have been put down with a 9mm. I carry either a 9mm, .45acp or 10mm every time I'm out in the woods.

If you have to ask then don't go out looking for a cat. He'll find you long before you'll find him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RTH1800
I've killed one back in 97. It weighed in at about 160 pounds and just made the record book.

I carried a S&W 625 in .45 Colt since I didn't feel like dragging a rifle around all day and with dogs you will be shooting them in distances measured in feet not yards.

One shot with a 250gr XTP was all it took and lodged under the skin on the off side. 4" barrel and less 900fps.
Sounds great!

My brother-in-law in Idaho guided cat hunts with dogs for years, he mostly used a 22mag pistol or bow and arrow. If you're going to spot and stalk you'll probably kill the same amount with a rock as you will with a rifle.;) Not to be discouraging but it is a tall order to spot and stalk a cat. Good luck.

My brother-in-law in Idaho guided cat hunts with dogs for years, he mostly used a 22mag pistol or bow and arrow. If you're going to spot and stalk you'll probably kill the same amount with a rock as you will with a rifle.;) Not to be discouraging but it is a tall order to spot and stalk a cat. Good luck.
Well I saw about 5 last year with hiking and diving in certain areas, so I thought I would try and actually go hunt this year!

No I'm from SD. I have probably seen 10 over the beat 5 years. And 5 of them last year. The population in the last few years has increased quite a bit.

I actually was on a home by myself at night and watched two run right out in front of me, and that was the day I decide not to carry a gun...

His my little kitty, he dropped dead. Weighed about 170's

Attachments

• IMG_2841.jpg
    IMG_2841.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 278
A lot of calibers will work fine, I know a couple guys in the hills who use a 22-250 and have excellent success. This one was killed with a 300 RUM and he still ran after the kill shot. We're more spot and stalk hunters which can make it tougher for caliber selection, sometimes it's a longer shot than others. If your using dogs, it opens your options up quite a bit.

Reactions: RTH1800
A lot of calibers will work fine, I know a couple guys in the hills who use a 22-250 and have excellent success. This one was killed with a 300 RUM and he still ran after the kill shot. We're more spot and stalk hunters which can make it tougher for caliber selection, sometimes it's a longer shot than others. If your using dogs, it opens your options up quite a bit.

Thanks! That's really helpful, I have an AR (223REM) which I'm guessing would be sufficient enough!

Reactions: skinney_7
My woods gun is a RUGER GP100 S/S - 6" BBL- Loaded with Hornady 158 Grain FP-XTP to MAX Hornady Specs. I'm more likely to encounter a Wild Feral Pig than a mountain lion although there mountain lion spottings in this part of the Country.
More than caliber is that you have confidence in whatever rifle/pistol you choose and to use good quality ammo whether hand loaded or store bought. Personally, I would not be afraid to use my 22-250 on a mountain lion up to about 200 yards. Most shots are likely to be much closer.

Reactions: Sinocopa