• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Capturing wind Kestrel 5700 elite

jsimonh

Minuteman
Feb 4, 2011
Altus, Oklahoma
I've always left the target at 000° and then put in the o'clock manually but I've been messing with using the target and wind capture function to speed the process up. Seems pretty easy however I can't seem to find what W1 and W2 are based on when using the capture function. I was hoping it was an average and a "high" but after messing with it tonight that doesn't appear to be the case. Also have you guys found it to be fairly accurate as far as direction? Tonight I wouldve put the wind I was reading at 730, maybe 8 at most but the kestrel set it at 830. I wasn't to inspired by that. I've had the 5700 since they first came out but I've always just used it old school style, just looking at trying to take a little more advantage of what it can do.

W1 is average, W2 is high. When in doubt:
https://kestrelinstruments.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/17

FBBB6651-670D-4BD1-B203-BC4515E09743.jpeg

Last edited:
I have had good and bad experiences with Kestrel. Mostly the fault is the compass needing a calibration.

The device is also somewhat hard to aim at a target with precision. Half an hour error is likely when doing it on the spot. (Target direction + wind direction) Let's say it needs practice.

Reactions: st1650
I used a hand held map compass and input the wind direction and the firing direction that way.