• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Carrington 2.0?

good point but real books would be needed,assuming literacy remains. the people with knowledge in their brains aren't going to survive any more than any one else. staying alive will be time consuming and leave little time for educating the future. won't even be likely or possible for generations. books should still matter. we now know that "screen" education is grossly inferior to the socratic method,even lecture formats with interaction between educator and student. a shame that all this is destruction has been made possible and likely. a butlerian jihad would be a huge plus if offing computers and digital dependence didn't destroy civ. yes,i know we are now here using computers but IMHO net result for our species is a big negative.
Don't forget the total lack of teaching hands-on skills. From basic math to being able to hammer a nail.

The average HS graduate these days can't even hammer a nail or build an Ikea Birdhouse.

How do you build a lean-to. Kindle a fire.. DIg a well. Skin out dinner. Catch a fish. Dig a latrine. chop a tree. Hoe a row.... if you don't have even the basic understanding of the difference between a shovel and an axe and a hoe.

Sirhr

Reactions: mosin46
Oh and there is no doubt that today is not 'the event.'

But nor were the tremors off Vesuvius that should have given the residents of Pompeii a warning. But they ignored them or thought that banging gongs and sacrificing some cheddar to the volcano gods would protect them.

The reality is that we are little different.

Sirhr

Reactions: XP1K
Don't forget the total lack of teaching hands-on skills. From basic math to being able to hammer a nail.

The average HS graduate these days can't even hammer a nail or build an Ikea Birdhouse.

How do you build a lean-to. Kindle a fire.. DIg a well. Skin out dinner. Catch a fish. Dig a latrine. chop a tree. Hoe a row.... if you don't have even the basic understanding of the difference between a shovel and an axe and a hoe.

Sirhr
I can’t how a row but……
1715378378337.png

Reactions: AZLONGRIDER
Just got off a 40 meter phone net. While not great it was doable if you know/knew how to use your notch filters. Hit N/C, KY, PA, DC, IN, ILL, MI MN & TX. As normal CW is a none issue.

This talk about the "Libraries of Alexandria" reminds me of a 4-part, 4 hour (total) online documentary I'd watched a number of years ago, about the Antikythera Device. How it was created by Aristotle, how it worked, how it did ingenious things with gears so many thousand years ago.

As well as who stole it, took credit for the information it produced, as well as the destruction of it. Funny, but in all my searching I can't seem to find that same video series out there. Definitely some 're-written' ones, as well as shorter-version and whatnot. But none of them so-far that I can find talk about the invaders, the thieves, the 'copyright infringers' or anything like that.

Maybe your interwebz are different than mine. Point being, it's a hell of a story and points some specific fingers.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I really need to get into HAM radio. I inherited a lot of my grandfathers old stuff but I have no clue what do do with it.

Solar flares coupled with a great flood almost wiped out mankind about 12500 years ago.

This talk about the "Libraries of Alexandria" reminds me of a 4-part, 4 hour (total) online documentary I'd watched a number of years ago, about the Antikythera Device. How it was created by Aristotle, how it worked, how it did ingenious things with gears so many thousand years ago.

As well as who stole it, took credit for the information it produced, as well as the destruction of it. Funny, but in all my searching I can't seem to find that same video series out there. Definitely some 're-written' ones, as well as shorter-version and whatnot. But none of them so-far that I can find talk about the invaders, the thieves, the 'copyright infringers' or anything like that.

Maybe your interwebz are different than mine. Point being, it's a hell of a story and points some specific fingers.
They had that in Wakanda way before those Greeks had it. I bet the Greeks stole it from them.

I really need to get into HAM radio. I inherited a lot of my grandfathers old stuff but I have no clue what do do with it.
You can locate a club near you Here
They can & will show you how to get started as well as explain the gear you have. Plus helping explain what type of Antennas will best serve you, your gear, & your homes foot print. Having great gear is one thing but your arrays (antennas) will make or break your on air ability's. Once you learn how to build & locate your own antennas reaching long gets easier w/much less power. You can't shove enough power into a bad array & make it work.

Radio is similar to gun stuff you can have top of the line but w/o ability its a waste. You can have the cheapest made, but drive it well and still out preform the got's to have guys. Once you start making/repairing your own gear you can find "broken can't be fixed" stuff everywhere. Nothing like buying 8- $10K worth of gear for 500-700 bucks, and spending 30 bucks on caps, resistors, diodes, in one case 6 bucks on a relay and its working perfect.
Communication like electrical power is never going away. Once you understand how to make your own from other peoples junk, the world is your playground.

Aurora lights seen all the way down into north Texas last night.

Anybody get to see any good lights last night ? In the comments for this video somebody said they saw them in Florida!

Nothing here last night on the Texas gulf coast. It was clear early but became cloudy again shortly after dark around 9:30.

Up to seven flares now with more in the forecast.

It is a wonder that the aurora was viewed all the way into Florida.

If it starts happening so far south with any frequency one could almost chalk it up, at the lower level, into the category of "signs and wonders".

Or at least the beginning of discerning "something ain't right".

Got another one coming around. I might ought to place an order with empshield.com.

Just a hypothetical question here.....if there was a massive CME, the 'kill shot' of sorts, we'd have a couple days heads up right? What sort of efforts could be made to decrease the damage? I have a very, very basic understanding of the way an EMP works, and a CME that's large enough would basically be an EMP that lasts a lot longer than a nuke. What are some theoretical moves that governments could make to minimize damage? Is it possible to mechanically open circuits of distribution lines so any currect generated by the CME would have nowhere to go, no transformers to blow? I mean that's the damage that we're worried about right? Massive runs of conducting wire above the ground will have a current induced by the EMP, and the longer the run of wire, the higher the current generated, and it overloads transformers and damages or destroys them. So I guess the question then becomes, how much of the wrong current can a transformer, or other electrical distribution equipment handle before it breaks, and how many feet, or miles, of conducting cable is required to achieve that level.

I really wish there was a expert on this site that could really lay out the facts. I just don't have any time to really go look for any really good info to be well informed on this subject.

Branden

Just a hypothetical question here.....if there was a massive CME, the 'kill shot' of sorts, we'd have a couple days heads up right? What sort of efforts could be made to decrease the damage? I have a very, very basic understanding of the way an EMP works, and a CME that's large enough would basically be an EMP that lasts a lot longer than a nuke. What are some theoretical moves that governments could make to minimize damage? Is it possible to mechanically open circuits of distribution lines so any currect generated by the CME would have nowhere to go, no transformers to blow? I mean that's the damage that we're worried about right? Massive runs of conducting wire above the ground will have a current induced by the EMP, and the longer the run of wire, the higher the current generated, and it overloads transformers and damages or destroys them. So I guess the question then becomes, how much of the wrong current can a transformer, or other electrical distribution equipment handle before it breaks, and how many feet, or miles, of conducting cable is required to achieve that level.

I really wish there was a expert on this site that could really lay out the facts. I just don't have any time to really go look for any really good info to be well informed on this subject.

Branden
No expert but, just disconnecting transformers w/o grounding them would prove useless. Even transformers in a lay down yard would be toast, w/o grounding. You could protect your home from getting burnt to the ground with enough serge protection or by cutting power to it. Some suggest opening your mains & grounding it down stream. I've triple serge in my transfer switch, so it would matter little which source I'm on when it hits. As the house will not catch fire from massive inrush if I am not there just prior to. If I'm home I'd disable the gen-set, drop utility power, place the transfer switch in neutral and wait for the event to pass, then restore everything.

I keep redundant backup parts, metering, & other critical items in F/cages 24/7. Not so much for a CME but more for EMP as I don't trust any gov to have our best interest at heart. The world you now know could be gone in seconds, and if that ever happens being as ready as you can be for the next will buy you time. Time to make logical decisions before having to deal with life saving/changing events that are about come calling.

Wish I had the fuck it all mentality, but my family, friends & neighbors well being, is way more important to me than anything, else, especially time & money. Educating in,... how to survive and thrive in adversity,... is the best gift I can leave behind when I'm gone. I had to learn it all the hard way, and I would not want them to have to go thru that, if at all possible

Branden

Be about 2 days warning.

This is pretty sensationalized in some ways… but factually it is not far off. As scenarios go, it is worst case for sure. And there would be a best case and a middle case as well. So take it with a grain of salt….

This is from Back before History channel went full reality tv retard. So there was some actual “research” done.

Sirhr

Reactions: Short-bus and XP1K