• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

CDI bottom metal - AICS mags - Alpha mags - review

Heronion

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Houghton, Michigan
WARNING: very long post with many pictures. For those interested in CDI bottom metal or Alpha magazines (AICS pattern).

Well, here goes. Over the past few months I've had many questions, done much research, and posted quite a bit. Since many of my questions I previously had would be answered by this post, I thought I'd do one for anybody that may be in the same position I once was.

Today I received in the mail my stock from Mr. Allen at CDI Precision Gunworks. Mr. Allen had my stock for five days total (good turnaround time, I think). My first point I have to make is that Mr. Allen is just simply outstanding to do business with. He's excited about his products, he's insanely pleasant on the telephone, and just (rambling...) a stand-up guy.

The inletting on my stock (B&C Medalist A2 for a Savage 4.4" centre feed) was very good, I thought. A clean, very tight (but not too tight) fit to the bottom metal.
20uerl0.jpg

Next, the bottom metal. Seems very well made, with a great finish on it. The fit to the inlet was perfect. No additional inletting whatsoever was required. Mr. Allen was great here. I called him up, and he made me an offer: I could either wait two weeks for the 4.4" part to get anodized or he could send me a new version that is universal for both Savage screw spacings (4.25 & 4.4). It's a sort of slotted cut hole. The fit here was about 99% perfect. About 30 seconds of filing made the screw go in. I only had to file about 1/10 inch off of the front action screw so it wouldn't stick into the action and block the lugs from locking.
24fgs9z.jpg

Now that I had the bottom metal in, it was time to test the magazine. I had also purchased an AICS short-action .308 10-round magazine from Mr. Allen. The magazine locked up nice and tight with a little rattling that was mostly eliminated once loaded and the bolt closed. The magazine fed and ejected perfectly a full load (tested four times). Flawless function. The mag detach latch is easy to locate and drops the mags VERY effectively. I was surprised how easy it was. But it's not so easy as to enable accidental detach. Just all around great function so far.
ei9zc4.jpg

Now, in anticipation of getting the bottom metal, I ordered two magazines from Alpha Manufacturing Industries. These are 10-round, AICS pattern, single feed, dual-stacked metal magazines. I purchased the .308 Type 2 magazines (they allow a slightly larger COAL than the Type 1 mags). The price was $132 for both (including shipping). Quite a bit less than the AICS 10-rounders that I could find anywhere.

I have to say, these mags are simply fantastic. They look better than AICS mags, seem more well-made, etc. Just simply blow the AICS mags out of the water from my initial testing. They have less rattle than AICS mags, they're shorter, and feed and function flawlessly in CDI bottom metal. Fed, ejected, and detached 12 times without a single miss. Just outstanding.
iqha9l.jpg

For some comparison, here is an Alpha (top) and an AICS (bottom). Note the length difference.
2eujxiq.jpg

Here is the Alpha (left) and AICS (right). Note the lack of a spacer on the Type 2 Alpha that allows the larger OAL cartridges to be used.
ajnv9j.jpg

In summary, if you're on the fence about CDI bottom metal...HOP OFF IT! And buy some.

And also, if you're going the 10-round mag route (which, I mean, why wouldn't you?), just get the Alpha mags. In my (admittedly limited) experience, they're just better. And Mr. Parker at Alpha is a great guy.

Hope this has been helpful/entertaining/annoying to at least someone.

Cheers!
Brian

Re: CDI bottom metal - AICS mags - Alpha mags - review

My Tikka T3 Scout .223 is on the way down to Jeff as we speak.

I have said it many times before on this forum but will again. Jeff at CDI is great to deal with and turns work around faster than anyone I've ever dealt with. His product is a bargain and his install price an even bigger bargain. The DBM in my 223 T3 Tactical opened up a whole new world for loading possibilities and my rifle is now a bond fide tack driver.

Looks like I need to check out the Alpha mags.

Nice write up.

I went with a couple spare AI mags over the Alpha. At the time I purchased mine I never read any feedback from users with the CDI metal. Good to hear they worked well for you.

I thought the spacer in the AICS mags was to keep the rounds positioned to the rear of the mag for reliable feeding. When your at the range and pop off 9 rounds from the Alpha mag drop the mag and look-see if it moved forward any.

The reason for the longer Alphas is to allow longer COAL. If you are loading within a few thou of the mag length available then the bullets won't/shouldn't move forward enough to matter. Just my thoughts on that.
BTW, I have rifles that require AICS mags and some that use AW mags (bigger inside and no plate). I use the same COAL with either mag and have never had any issues.

There is absolutely NO issue with the shorter OAL rounds sliding forward with the Alpha. I rapidly engaged the bolt (one feed per second) for 10 tests of a full mag, and they never slid forward at all. It's just a great product. Even if you don't need the extra COAL, just get the Type 2s anyway, so if you ever DO want to run longer rounds, you can.

Cool post.I have his DBM and love it!Goodshootin'

~R

Just got one of his 5 round mags couple days ago that he modified for 300 WSM. Will be trying it out this morning. Agree with his pleasant character on the phone, and quick service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is absolutely NO issue with the shorter OAL rounds sliding forward with the Alpha. I rapidly engaged the bolt (one feed per second) for 10 tests of a full mag, and they never slid forward at all. It's just a great product. Even if you don't need the extra COAL, just get the Type 2s anyway, so if you ever DO want to run longer rounds, you can. </div></div>

Good to know.

Nice write up. I've been looking at CDI for a long time now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice write up. I've been looking at CDI for a long time now. </div></div>

Thank you, sir, and look no further! Just got back home from church, I'm heading to the range for some first time shooting with it. Exciting.

I had Jeff inlet and install his DBM system in my Remington L/H VS, H&S Precision stock. He did a great job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also got the CDI bottom metal for my Savage 110 Tactical. Sent the stock to Jeff and he inletted. Works GREAT. </div></div>

If you don't mind, pics or info on what stock you went with? I'm looking at the same thing now that the LA kits are available.

So I just got back from the range. I only had 20 rounds, so I loaded up both Alpha mags to capacity. Fed and functioned perfectly. Shot some steel at 400 for 12 rounds, sighted in with two shots at 200, shot a 3-shot 1" group at 200 yards, then shot my last three rounds inside of 1" at 300 yards. This Savage is a SHOOTER. The difference between the detachable mags and the old blind magazine is truly incredible. It's so much more fun to shoot now. Maybe the psychological joy of having the DBM made me a better shot today, because a 1/3 MOA 3-shot group at 300 yards is (for me) unbelievable.

Cheers,
Brian

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proud Noob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice write up. I've been looking at CDI for a long time now. </div></div>
I've had two stocks go to Jeff, and he does great work. Very quick, and his equipment works. As posted, he's great customer service and will answer any question you have.

bpnelson,

Did you have to modify the feed ramp on your Savage action at all for the Type 2 mags to feed properly, like the Alpha website suggests?

I'm VERY close to going the exact same route you did for a 10FP action and 260 CBI barrel...

NO mods needed on any of the 6 or 8 Savage / CDI combos we have done. That's a Rem issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NO mods needed on any of the 6 or 8 Savage / CDI combos we have done. That's a Rem issue. </div></div>

Fantastic!