• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chopping Chrome Lined SCAR Barrels --Suggestions?

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Always heard it's problematic chopping chrome lined barrels. I've always avoided it, never had to.

Then I got a SCAR 16 --and 5.56 10" barrels are true vaporware. Last one on GB sold in Jan. for $1500, hasn't been one listed since that I've seen. Nobody has 'em.

So I finally scored a 14" factory barrel, freeing me to chop this 16".

Suggestions? I'd prefer someone skilled at working on these particular rifles. It's for a suppressor so a half assed thread job isn't gonna cut it and I'd prefer someone who can replace the jet with the appropriate one(s) before sending it back --tuning it to work specifically with either an AAC 556SD or Sico Saker would be a plus.

Is PMM a reputable one for this kind of work? Who did you use?

I would also recommend PMM.
    As far as chopping chrome lined barrels goes, I have several and never had an issue.
    PMM will also be able to replace a gas jet for you.
    You’re definitely going to want a smaller jet. Both cans listed are very high back pressure and not a great choice for the SCAR.

I’ve done numerous chrome lined chops and doing one right now...never an ill effect...

PMM is well known and will be good to go.

A buddy had his scar chopped by PMM, they did great work

Guess it's PMM then. Thanks guys.

I would also recommend PMM.
    As far as chopping chrome lined barrels goes, I have several and never had an issue.
    PMM will also be able to replace a gas jet for you.
    You’re definitely going to want a smaller jet. Both cans listed are very high back pressure and not a great choice for the SCAR.
    Yeah, but it's what I got for 'em right now that'll fit. The AAC junk is very similar to what they originally were issued with.

Hoping the adj. gas setting plus one of those rubber buffer pads help. As long as I don't break anything I'll be fine. I wish I knew as much about these things as I do AR's --really feel like a first time shooter fucking with these things, FN does NOT make shit easy either.

BTW, does anyone know where to find an armorer manual for one? Anything more indepth than the manual?

Here is mine:

0755cf6f-1fa2-4955-98f6-dd5baab7fe79-jpeg.142627

Reactions: theLBC
    Guess it's PMM then. Thanks guys.

Yeah, but it's what I got for 'em right now that'll fit. The AAC junk is very similar to what they originally were issued with.

Hoping the adj. gas setting plus one of those rubber buffer pads help. As long as I don't break anything I'll be fine. I wish I knew as much about these things as I do AR's --really feel like a first time shooter fucking with these things, FN does NOT make shit easy either.

BTW, does anyone know where to find an armorer manual for one? Anything more indepth than the manual?
    When you send your barrel in with PMM...they will swap jets for you...

AAC SCAR can is low pressure...AAC civilian cans...not so much...

My recommendation is: 1.3mm gas jet or mototech 3 position gas plug, mototech rubber buttpad...and I also recommend mototech torx rear receiver screws (I went full torx on my rifle)...

"Civilian" cans? They're the same thing... Seriously, there isn't really any difference in the guts either. And as far as real world use goes, I've heard folks using the SDN6 vs. the issue one had less problems. I have a Saker in addition to the 556SD I could use on the '16 but just from the looks of it I seriously doubt it has less pressure, probably more vs. the 556SD --but I could be wrong.

Eventually I plan on getting a couple Surefire cans, I was looking at the SB2 tonight and it's gotta be ideal, they say it's the lowest one they've ever made. But I'm not gonna be able to swing those until later this year/early next year.

I guess if all went to shit I could always use my extra brake for the FA762SS whenever they let me pick the damn thing up.

When I talked to AAC...yes there is a difference between SCAR spec can vs the others...per AAC...not me...IIRC they told me it was the length of the suppressor, miter mounts and low-pressure baffles...

Last edited:
    PMM has done several for me. 16, 17, FS2000
    Wait time is a stinker, but good people are busy.
    Buy a bunch of gas screws and tune it yourself. Tons of write ups at fnforum.net
    I’m happy.

Reactions: theLBC
    When I talked to AAC...yes there is a difference between SCAR spec can vs the others...per AAC...not me...IIRC they told me it was the length of the suppressor, miter mounts and low-pressure baffles...
    I don't doubt AAC said that, not one bit. But AAC spun me with enough bullshit I wouldn't trust a fucking thing they said. All the ones I've seen are nearly identical. They had zero imagination and their "R&D" guy spent all his time on internet forums defending shitty 18, 51 and finally 90T mounts --I'm sure his fix to the problem would have been the new and improved "120T"!

It seems a lot of people are using 'em without any problems though and that's good enough for now. Unless/until I can just buy one OTC, I don't have much choice anyway.

Pretty sure the SDN6 was just the same thing but without the added length --which was some shit dreamed up by some army officer and spec'd for most of the shit 01-15.

Oh, and I managed to score that "technical repair standards" manual --but it's heavily redacted. Turns out SCAR's aren't much different than hydrogen bomb tech and it's gotta be kept secret from the peons.

Reactions: thehun
    PMM has done several for me. 16, 17, FS2000
    Wait time is a stinker, but good people are busy.
    Buy a bunch of gas screws and tune it yourself. Tons of write ups at fnforum.net
    I’m happy.
    Yeah, I reckon that's who I'll call next week and see what the process is. I don't need it right away anyway, I can wait for good work. Says they come with some screws but I'll talk to 'em about the issue and see what they recommend.

Either that part is redacted or not in the manual. For whatever reason, it's by far the most secretive weapon I've ever owned wrt technical info.

I don't doubt AAC said that, not one bit. But AAC spun me with enough bullshit I wouldn't trust a fucking thing they said. All the ones I've seen are nearly identical. They had zero imagination and their "R&D" guy spent all his time on internet forums defending shitty 18, 51 and finally 90T mounts --I'm sure his fix to the problem would have been the new and improved "120T"!

It seems a lot of people are using 'em without any problems though and that's good enough for now. Unless/until I can just buy one OTC, I don't have much choice anyway.

Pretty sure the SDN6 was just the same thing but without the added length --which was some shit dreamed up by some army officer and spec'd for most of the shit 01-15.

Oh, and I managed to score that "technical repair standards" manual --but it's heavily redacted. Turns out SCAR's aren't much different than hydrogen bomb tech and it's gotta be kept secret from the peons.
    Oh. I’m not an AAC fan by any means...was never a fan of their mount design.

Oh. I’m not an AAC fan by any means...was never a fan of their mount design.
    Hey, I'm the one with four of the goddamn things!

I've been 'round and 'round with them over those mounts. The cans actually aren't that bad and the SDN6 is/was a really good can FWIW, I still like 'em --but I HATE AAC. The trick to the mounts was to buy ten and pick one or two and send the rest back. So all mine work well, but it was a hassle to get 'em that way and not violate warranty in the process. Not that the warranty is worth a fuck anyway, it'll always be your fault.

Sico Saker was my goto for cheap abuse cans after that, I still like 'em but don't need anymore. My cup runneth over with cheap abuse cans!

Here is mine:

0755cf6f-1fa2-4955-98f6-dd5baab7fe79-jpeg.142627
    did you need to change from the standard 1.4mm jet? i was wondering if there is less gas because the bullet leaves the barrel sooner so there isn't pressure in the system as for as long. or perhaps 4" less only matters for sexy time, lol.

Hey, I'm the one with four of the goddamn things!

I've been 'round and 'round with them over those mounts. The cans actually aren't that bad and the SDN6 is/was a really good can FWIW, I still like 'em --but I HATE AAC. The trick to the mounts was to buy ten and pick one or two and send the rest back. So all mine work well, but it was a hassle to get 'em that way and not violate warranty in the process. Not that the warranty is worth a fuck anyway, it'll always be your fault.

Sico Saker was my goto for cheap abuse cans after that, I still like 'em but don't need anymore. My cup runneth over with cheap abuse cans!
    Look into EFFCO machining...they can chop your AAC attachment point and replace it with a whatever end you want so you can run Dead Air, YHM or whatever...SDN6 is a good can...

did you need to change from the standard 1.4mm jet? i was wondering if there is less gas because the bullet leaves the barrel sooner so there isn't pressure in the system as for as long. or perhaps 4" less only matters for sexy time, lol.
    Oh yeah...you have to change the factory jet regardless in my opinion...even if you don't suppress...

1.3mm jet is my universal go to....and installed...don't forget Mototech rear torx upgrade (I have full torx conversion on my rifle) and their rubber buttpad as well...

I agree it's overgassed with the factory jet, I also used a 1.3mm factory jet with my Omega and it was a real pussycat while supressed.

I’ve been using a 1.35 gas jet in my 16S
    I’m fine with it, but I’ll go to a 1.30 when I get the chance to get to a range to check operation.
    Round stripping from magazine, no loading issues, clean ejection and bolt lock back when magazine is empty.