• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision Close Quarters

CBDR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2017
Jacksonville FL.
Time: 02:15 Local
Temp: 68 F
Humidity: 80 %
Wind: Negligible
Moon Phase: 6% Waning Crescent
WX: Storm Eta
At 02:15 my central nervous system spiked by a familiar sound, "the swine" had entered into the area. The sound of an army on a slow march via two feet of swamp water is all to familiar. The number of wild hogs here is literally unbelievable. The challenge is that the terrain is so overgrown with thick brush & timber & tall grass that getting a shot past 150m is very rare.
My trusty thermal Zeus that has served me well over the past 5 years could not compete with the amount of moisture in the air. Total white out. So I fire up the LN-ELIR-3 (aka - the prison yard spot lite) and bingo here they come. They make a slow cautious approach into the open, sniffing all the way. The hogs are now taking a different path via tall grass. Waiting, waiting 15 min later they have popped out right in front of me not less than 25m away. Dial the S&B Ultra Short down
to 5, its way to much magnification but what are my options? Go in after them with a 9mm, I think not. I am all about living life to the limits but pushing the common sense meter into the dumb ass mode is not worth it. So the hogs find a small amount of corn I placed not 25 m away and its time to focus (literally). Shooting from the prone position IMO is the best chance of perfection. MSR Placed perfectly one inch low & behind the sweet spot. Let her go and the familiar sound of the suppressed 6.5cm fly's into the night with follow up thump and its over. Time to drag this smelly pig out.
Nov12swineraide.jpg

The best thing about going in after these guys after dark is, it will test your will. Confidence vs careless. Slim margins for error. Shooting from an elevated position is a must. Dealing with one of these guys in a potential altercation is always on the front burner.

R/
CBDR

• Love
Reactions: wigwamitus
The best thing about going in after these guys after dark is, it will test your will. Confidence vs careless. Slim margins for error. Shooting from an elevated position is a must. Dealing with one of these guys in a potential altercation is always on the front burner.

R/
CBDR
If you ever take the thermal plunge and drive and scan you will have a hoot! And as far as being attacked by a hog I've shot trailers full inside 50 yards on foot on open cattle pasture just south of you in Tampa and still standing. That's actually half the fun seeing how close you can get b/f they get on spook alert.....closest I've been is around 10 paces. I get it taking longer shots is fun, but if you want to drop more porkers have you ever done a drive around and scan? Seriously for every hog or two you might get sitting static you could blow up a couple of sounders in a night.....plus leading and shooting runners is just beyond fun!

If you ever take the thermal plunge and drive and scan you will have a hoot! And as far as being attacked by a hog I've shot trailers full inside 50 yards on foot on open cattle pasture just south of you in Tampa and still standing. That's actually half the fun seeing how close you can get b/f they get on spook alert.....closest I've been is around 10 paces. I get it taking longer shots is fun, but if you want to drop more porkers have you ever done a drive around and scan? Seriously for every hog or two you might get sitting static you could blow up a couple of sounders in a night.....plus leading and shooting runners is just beyond fun!

All accept for the one that ran into your leg with 6 bullet holes in it already.

oh geez i forgot about that feller. well....he gone....humans 1 - cockroaches 0

Reactions: Jgunner
I have the scar from 16 stitches in my right hamstring from an 800# boar to remind me of how dangerous these things can be.

He’s at Freezer Camp now.

• Wow
Reactions: Jgunner
Hog hunting sounds so fun. I mean, it sounds like it sucks and thats what i like. Getting tough critters in tough conditions is what makes it more fun. One day ill get on a hog hunt. Dont really have them in az, very rare.