• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Colt Accurized Rifle (CR6724)

ESSAYONS

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Looked at one of these the other day-price was $1199.00 new, Thought that was inexpensive compared with JP, LB or Wilson. Anyone have any experience with this particular model?

Re: Colt Accurized Rifle (CR6724)

Love mine,it's got a jard trigger in it and it out-shoots me.
Guns154.jpg

I have been pondering one of these for some time. Who makes the barrel? I know its not a in house Colt barrel. Is this part of the infamous Colt "commercial" line?

ScottX88-what kind of accuracy are we talking here? Looks like a nice set up.

I have shot sub moa with 52 gr SBTHP, 25 gr 748, win primer with 2.2 coal in mine.

I bought 1 shortly after they came out 22XXish serial number range. It was a super shooter. Only did it once but never tried again,lol, but I shot a .360 3 shot group with it using Hor 75BTHP moly. Other stuff would easily do under moa. Didn't shoot it alot as I kind of "treasured" it being my first accurate AR. Had to sell it to a friend to settle divorce. He says it is the most accurate rifle he owns. Some day when I am feeling flush I am gonna work on him a bit.
smile.gif

Don't know if it was a Colt made trigger or what but it was pretty descent. Thought I read somewhere once that they used Wilson blanks????? Wished I had it back but wished I had my Colt Tactical Elite back even worse. Never did shoot it but they were a Custom Shop rig with only 1000ish made and used JP triggers and I don't know whos' tube but retailed for around 2k in 99 or whenever they were made. The 6724 I bought in Jan of '98 retailed for $1049 then IIRC.

HTH
Respectfully,
Dennis

I had one of these years ago and absolutely loved it. I had a Nikon scope on it and it was an absolute pleasure to shoot and was really accurate out to 400 yeards (the extent of my range options at that time). I sold it to pay my taxes one year and it is still one of the very few guns that I regret selling.

wow. Thats awesome shooting. I am still in the decision making process- local gunshop today wanted to sell me a Les Baer IPSC model AR- nice gun $2300 price tag. Question is how will the 1:9 perform with a 69gr bullet?

You are good with 69 gr bullets. I shot out to 600 yards ( as far as they had targets) at a carbine class and got hits on steel with 69 gr SMKs in a 1-9 twist. You should be able to shoot 75 gr OTM and maybe even 77 gr SMK. Sometimes 77 gr work great other times they don't, depends on the barrel.

Good luck

Jery

thanks. There was one for sale at a local gunshop and went yesterday...had sold in 3 days. Price was great 1199.00. I really think I may go with Les Baer IPSC rifle- have not found any negative feedback yet.

Pulled the pin on one of these ... Got a couple boxes of Black Hills 69g on standby. Toss one of my Falcon 5.5-25 on it and go see how it runs.

impressive group for 400 yards...but why not show the entire target with the other groups??? honestly i could care less if a rifle groups at .3-.6 moa...those dead ground hogs are all that matters...ask them if the bullet didnt hit where the shooter intended...oh wait..you cant why???? their dead...they are all dead..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eng07</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me know....big $ difference between Les Baer and Colt.

Forgot to mention...ESSAYONS</div></div>

Prairie Dog Safari is one of my favorite ... and am getting this setup for that purpose. Will be a week or so before I get all the pieces and get out to the range. First trip will just be ammo testing at 100. Once thats sorted ill go stretch her legs.

I have had one for over 10 years. Only rifle I have never got rid of.They are great AR's.

They shoot 77 SMK's well with IMR 8208 XBR as well

233XBR77SMK300yds.jpg

A quick reply to those that question the results: Just because you cannot or have not yet shot to this degree of precision yet doesn't mean that it is impossible.

Last edited:

Wow, I am impressed. Most of the time you see someone claiming a factory rifle is that accurate there are not this many others to back up the statements.

I wish they came is a faster twist than 1 in 9 though.

I have had really great luck with my Rock River NM upper. The 1/8 barrel shoots lights out. 10 shot groups are sub moa with match ammo. If I am on I can shoot sub MOA 5 shot groups with iron sights.

Took the CR 6724 out for a spin the other day. I had several "match" 223 rounds on hand and figured I would run some strings over the chrono and see what kind of results I got. Each string was 10 rounds with a 15 minute break between strings. I was using a Colt CR6724 as the test mule. They all were accurate and made a ragged hole ... the 69g Black Hills and 77g HSM were the tightest.

Chrono: CED M2
Conditions: 50 degrees/29.72 Atmo Pres/56% Humidity/Partly Cloudy

Black Hills 68g Match
Average FPS = 2764
SD = 19.4

Black Hills 69g Match
Average FPS = 2720
SD = 25.8

Black Hills 77g Match
Average FPS = 2692
SD = 12.0

HSM 77g Match
Average FPS = 2838
SD = 16.1

I had some American Eagle 62g and some Black Hills 55g FMJ but I didn't bother to test them over the chrono as I like the heavy stuff. I have to say I was suprised at the HSM velocity ... I checked the numbers and there was not a errant reading that was skewing the numbers. All the Black Hills Ammo was red box new production. My imprompt test results ... hope someone can use them.

Heading out on Prairie Dog Safari ... will report some results at 300 to 600 yard distances

Sapper524..this sounds good. What were your groups like with these four loads? I am still in a holding pattern as far as this purchase goes. I look forward to your report.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eng07</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sapper524..this sounds good. What were your groups like with these four loads? I am still in a holding pattern as far as this purchase goes. I look forward to your report. </div></div>

69g Black Hills and 77g HSM was under 1/2 MOA

68g / 77g Black Hills was under 1 MOA

The trigger out of the box is decent, I thought I would end up replacing it but I think ill roll with the stock trigger for a while. I have a adjustable LOP buttplate on the way as my LOP is long. Ill keep yah posted.

"69g Black Hills and 77g HSM was under 1/2 MOA"

Its amazing that 1:9 will provide these results. Kind of goes against the grain that 1:9 are for 69gr and below.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eng07</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

"69g Black Hills and 77g HSM was under 1/2 MOA"

Its amazing that 1:9 will provide these results. Kind of goes against the grain that 1:9 are for 69gr and below.

</div></div>

I was suprised as well. I probably wouldn't have even tried 77g except I tried them in my Savage 223 model 10 with a 20 inch 1:9 barrel and it liked them as well. Im still early in the testing on the CR though. Time will tell once I get some 400-700 yard test time.

The one I had would really shoot the 75BTHP Hornady. Never tried the Amax. Never got around to trying any real load work on paper before I sold it. Never shot it at distance on paper either. A couple of coyotes and a couple hundred p dogs was it.

Shot 6 inch (round) steel at 500-600 the other day with ease. Was using 77g HSM ammo, I ordered a BUNCH more ...

Badger%202.JPG

Update ...

HSM 77g BTHP still working well. Dropped this Badger at 425 yards and got another one at 300 yards. Was getting kills on gophers at 350 yards pretty easy. Yes having a USO SN-3 3.8-22 on the rifle helped ... but the ammo performed outstanding.

Very cool. At first I was like WTF what is that thing? But then I read that it was a badger. Nice shot. Doesnt seem like the 77s are that violent on little critters. Perhaps it was the velocity at that range?

These are all very impressive. Especially when the entire rifle costs less than other "quality uppers"! Makes you wonder sometimes what the point of diminishing returns is on accuracy v. money. Apparently it is $1100 and not 2-3K! However, some folks will stand by their other name rifles for double or triple the price and call you crazy. Either way my point is get one and do not look back! I may grab one also. Thanks guys.

Good shooting. I picked one of these rifles up a few weeks back- hope to post pics soon.

Man, I've been wanting an accurate gas gun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jpach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool. At first I was like WTF what is that thing? But then I read that it was a badger. Nice shot. Doesnt seem like the 77s are that violent on little critters. Perhaps it was the velocity at that range? </div></div>

At 425 the velocity was around 2k fps ... the exit wound was on the other side at the base as the neck .... about golf ball size. I was shooting 77g BTHP SMK ... chrono @ 2838 fps (HSM ammo).

Here are the picks of my CAR. So far it has been shooting about 1/2'' groups at 100yds-with 52gr SMK. I am still working the 69gr SMK load with Varget. For sure this rifle is capable of more accuracy than I am able to deliver as the trigger man at this point.

SD530405.jpg

SD530403.jpg

SD530411-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wished I had it back but wished I had my Colt Tactical Elite back even worse. Never did shoot it but they were a Custom Shop rig with only 1000ish made and used JP triggers and I don't know whos' tube but retailed for around 2k in 99 or whenever they were made. The 6724 I bought in Jan of '98 retailed for $1049 then IIRC.

HTH
Respectfully,
Dennis </div></div>

Hello everyone...new user here. I was contemplating selling my Colt Tactical Elite which I bought new about 14 years ago, and I was doing some internet research on it and came across this post. Also noticed that you're from South Dakota so I figured I'd jump in and post--if this is inappropriate I apologize and will glady delete the post.

I have not shot my Tactical Elite much...maybe 400 rounds, mostly prairie dogging here in SD. The barrel was broken in carefully, cleaning every 3-5 shots for the first hundred rounds. Shoots more accurately than I can, and really seems to love the 68 grain Black Hills moly-coated round. I'm just not doing enough shooting with it to justify keeping it around when there are other rifles I would get more use out of. Not sure what the going rate for one of these in excellent condition would be, but if you ever make it down to the Rapid City area, shoot me an email and you're welcome to come take a look at it and make me an offer if you're still in the market. I've got a Tasco Custom Shop scope on it as well (8-40X56, 30mm tube, 1" Tapco riser, gun is otherwise original). Really hate to sell it, but I don't need it sitting in my gun safe unused either.

Anyhow, great site--I look forward to snooping around and learning from what seems to be a very knowledgeable group of shooters.

Glad I found this thread!

I have one of these I haven't even shot yet and was wondering what would be best for the 1-9 twist. Good info here.

It seems to be digesting all flavors quite nicely.

Hey Eng07, did you have to do anything special when you changed to that Magpul PRS stock? Diff buffer etc?

Thanks in advance.

Dang, just noticed this thread is a bit dated, maybe it will generate a bit of new interest......

Sorry for the late reply dmarc...Nothing special about the stock at all..slip the factory stock off and the new one on. I bought it at a show in Ft Worth new and had the AR accessory guys put the stock, grip and rings on...took 15 min tops.

It is a great gun to shoot. It will knock over 30lb steel sillouhettes at 400m, (69 MHBT)-but not 500m-just pings them.

good luck.

I have one of these on the way...does it have any idiosyncrasies for fitting an aftermarket trigger...ie pin diameter or anything else out of the ordinary?

RGRWilcox...I am installing a Timney trigger- the factory trigger was to heavy for me. Will let you know.

Rgrwilcox, make sure you specify large pin for whatever aftermarket trigger you order. I have a Jewel on mine and like everybody else has been saying, both of mine are absolute shooters.

Got it. That's what I needed to know. Thanks.

How does the factory trigger on this gun differ from the regular AR trigger?

You will notice right off the bat it's a much better trigger. Mine 4 3/4 lbs and smooth but I changed both of 'em out with Jewel triggers. My boy will be hunting with one tomorrow. I changed out the Colt lower with a collapsible stock lower to better fit him. He's been making some really good neck shots on a cardboard deer silhouette so he's ready.

Took my CAR to the 500m silouhette range today with the new Timney-set at 2.5 lbs. - WOW!! It definity helped my shooting- hitting 6'' plates all day long at 400m-500m. Real crisp- no detectable creep- far different than the factory trigger. Just a consideration.

I had one. In a desperation moment I sold it. It came back to the gun shop recently with a $500 more than brand new sticker. Fond memories couldn't justify the buy back. Mine was also 22xx serial. Piss poor machining. It had marks all over it and poor finish. Colt today is excellent in comparison, imo. The accuracy of it though, that was an accurate rifle. I had a V24 Weaver for optics on mine. At 100yards I shot flies on the paper. Personally I liked the trigger. It isn't bad. I wish my 6920 had one like it. All and all it is a good rifle. One I very much miss.

Thats ironic. I bought mine here this summer new for $1100.00-went Cabelas last week-they had a used one for $300.00 more. I weighed getting a JP or LB...but the price tag was to much and if a guy like me can hit 6'' plates at 400-500m thats plenty good enough. I am shooting 69 MHBT Sierras over 25gr. of Varget that I reload with my redding T7 in Reddings Competition dies. Oh yeah...for the first time yesterday I shot using direct powder measure loads-normally I hand measure each charge. Funny thing is I noticed no difference with the direct charge than with the hand measured. I am using a Redding match powder measure (Yeah I know...everything is Redding)..for what its worth.

J&G Sales in Prescott, AZ is selling new ones for $1599.95. Are they nuts of has the price gone up that much? Seems fro other post asking prices are going up $500 as well.