• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

common powder for use in .338LM and .308Win. ?

buggz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Georgia
Hello,

What is your prefered common powder you use for both .338 Lapua Mag and .308 Winchester ?

If it matters, I will also be trying to produce a common .308 load for Remington PSS bolt, Seekins SP10 AR10, and Springfield Super Nat. Match M1A guns.
I don't know how doable this last part will be...

Last edited:
It's Very very unlikely that you will find a powder that will be ideal in both calibers.

A multitude of powders work extremely well in the 308... it's easy to load for.

H1000, VVN-570, RL-33, and powders of similar burn rate work well in the 338.

Reactions: buggz
Thanks!
I am a newbie, so, trying to get by with as little I can to start with.
I am understanding there isn't a common ground between the two.

Thanks again for the schooling...

Thanks!

Dont compromise on either feed them what they like.
Varget, AR-Comp, 4064 will all do great in the 308win.
Cant help with the 338L but a guess would be H1000 it is an exceptionally good powder in 300wm and very stable in regards to temp stability.

Thanks!

Download hodgdons burn rate chart and print it out. With that in hand, search for load data and note where on the burn rate chart various cartridges lie, how it shifts with bullet weight, etc. In your case, h414 is about as fast a burn rate as you’ll find for the Lapua, with a 160 gr bullet(total waste of time). In a 308, you’ll need a very heavy bullet and near 50 grains of h414 to make it work. So while theres technically overlap, theres no meaningful overlap.