• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Considering MEGA MA-TEN 308 Monolithic Upper build

Scottyman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2008
Maine
Newb needs help.
blush.gif

Will most low profile gas blocks fit under the handguard?

Being on a tight budget (Maybe I'll sell my ACR to help fund) I'm torn between building a 308 or just settling with a Bushmaster ORC or something simliar priced that I'd upgrade in time anyways.

If anybody has any recommendations for my build please let me know. Sub MOA is my goal.
Barrel choice the most important?
I'm thinking 18" barrel.
Midlength or rifle length? Does it matter?

Mostly hunting and some target. Out to 600yards.
Would also like to find a decent price on the Mega Ten upper/lower combo. ?

Re: Considering MEGA MA-TEN 308 Monolithic Upper build

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottyman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Newb needs help.
blush.gif

Will most low profile gas blocks fit under the handguard?

Being on a tight budget (Maybe I'll sell my ACR to help fund) I'm torn between building a 308 or just settling with a Bushmaster ORC or something simliar priced that I'd upgrade in time anyways.

If anybody has any recommendations for my build please let me know. Sub MOA is my goal.
Barrel choice the most important?
I'm thinking 18" barrel.
Midlength or rifle length? Does it matter?

Mostly hunting and some target. Out to 600yards.
Would also like to find a decent price on the Mega Ten upper/lower combo. ? </div></div>

If you go with a rifle-length gas system you wont need your gas block to fit under the handguard, hwwever, I would think any low-profile gas block would fit under the handguard. If you want a good 18 inch barrel with rifle length gas system, check out Fulton Armory's Titan barrels. They are built on a Douglas blank, and they shoot great!

I built my MA TEN Mono with a Rainier Arms Ultra Match 18 inch barrel with a mid-length gas port.
It fit under the full size rail and I used a Rainier low pro gas block but any low pro will work fine.
If you go with any rifle length gas then it will stick out from the rail.
It shoot great ~ I am just waiting for some of the new 1X8 scopes to come out.

Like smschulz I went 18 and mid length. I was a little impatient to complete my build so I used Rainier's Select bbl and am pleased. Instead of using their gb, I got a Vltor, which is same profile but with lightening cuts. The Mega Mono its milled on the bottom trail for mid length and carbine gb applications.

I had a striped IRA lower and striped DPMS upper I was planing on building a SASS out of but changed my mind and went with a Mega. If it its feasible for you to do a build financially I would. I think you'll be pleased with the overall quality of the Mega. Plus if you go with a Bushmaster you have to worry if you have the new or old spec A3 upper. My DPMS was the height where I would have to get a proprietary rail as most aftermarkets would not fit. YMMV

And to address your statement of hunting. My Mono weighs in around 15 lbs and is hefty but I do have a UBR on it and optics are Warne RAMP Mount with a Leupy Mark 2 3-9 and a PA Micro Dot. Ij just spent the last two weekend humping around in Medicine Bow National Forest at about 10000 ft elevation and up and down hills. It was a work out. But I may build a new LW upper with carbon fiber forend, or just work out more.

Hope it helps with your decision