• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Converting old Maglights to LED - your experience

atomic41

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 4, 2013
    It appears that our DIY section got nuked so I hope this is the best spot for this...

I've got a few old D cell Maglights that I want to convert to LED. I did a quick google search and I'm seeing drop in replacements for the old bulbs but the replacements are looking wimpy (when compared to new lights). Anyone done this and have advice on good conversions?

Thanks in advance.

You do know about Lithium D cell batteries,right?
    Yes, but D sized lithium batteries are usually downgraded to 1.2-1.5v, not the full voltage as they will fry electronics designed for regular D batteries. I have seen a 14500 battery (AA sized) destroy items when people thought they were smart and put them in instead.

Reactions: gnochi
    Yes, but D sized lithium batteries are usually downgraded to 1.2-1.5v, not the full voltage as they will fry electronics designed for regular D batteries. I have seen a 14500 battery (AA sized) destroy items when people thought they were smart and put them in instead.
    Well by these specs they look pretty fucking stout---
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/cata...m_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=TNT - Shopping - NB - Mobile&utm_term=4580153125314182&utm_content=All Products
    Overview
    AK-451 Replacement Battery

3.3V 11.1Ah LiMn02 Non-rechargeable UHR-CR34610 Cell:

• High energy density
    • No voltage delay
    • Wide operating temperature range
    • Lightweight
    • Up to 10-year shelf life
    • Long operating life
    • Cell is hermetically sealed Ni-plated steel can
    Specifications
    Product Type: Cylindrical, Non-Rechargeable, Cell