• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cutting down POF 308 barrel?

BCP

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
  • Dec 4, 2008
    AZ: Land of wind, dirt and angry old people
    I have a 20" 308 and was thinking of cutting it down to around 14.7 and then doing the weld/pin for 16". What I'm wondering is whether or not I'll have to open up the gas port or drill out the little "normal" "suppressed" holes in the gas plug in order to get it running properly.

Are you talking about DI or piston? For DI, Criterion used to port their 16" RLGS at 0.096" (#41) if that helps. You'll probably have to adjust your buffer weight and maybe the spring too. Can't help with piston.

Are you talking about DI or piston? For DI, Criterion used to port their 16" RLGS at 0.096" (#41) if that helps. You'll probably have to adjust your buffer weight and maybe the spring too. Can't help with piston.
    Yeah the piston is different, it has a little plug on the end that you pull out and flip around to go from regular (big hole) to suppressed (little hole) so I'm thinking drilling out those holes rather than getting to the actual gas port.