• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

What type of accuracy with rimfire do you need for say PRS 22 or NRL22? I’m assuming sub minute is good enough just like center fire
As already said above, 1-2 moa is good for most targets. Just keep in mind that for longer targets, the less expensive ammo tends to have a higher ES over better quality/higher cost ammo.

Reactions: Billiam1211
Makes sense. So far I’ve only tested CCI Standard and SK Match. The odd thing is that SK prints smaller groups with an SD of about 25 but CCI Standard keeps sub minute accuracy while holding an SD of 8 over 18 shots. Think the CCI is going to be my bread and butter

Reactions: lash
That's a nice looking Varmint model. And it would appear from the one group you posted that it's got potential. Nothing wrong with a 'plain jane' 457 Varmint in my book. I think the stock design is attractive, and really like the features of the 457 action - liked them enough to re-barrel a couple of mine with Shilen ratchet blanks instead of getting rid of them when they didn't shoot up to my expectations.

ok im deciding between bergara b14r and the cz 457 but not sure if i want the varmit mtr or spend it all for the one with the manners stock as i may want a mdt or whiskey chassis. My question is what is the difference between the varmit varmit pro and the mtr?

ok im deciding between bergara b14r and the cz 457 but not sure if i want the varmit mtr or spend it all for the one with the manners stock as i may want a mdt or whiskey chassis. My question is what is the difference between the varmit varmit pro and the mtr?
From what I understand the MTR has a match chamber, which is supposed to shoot better. When I was researching which rifle to get, someone made a good point that if you plan on gutting the rifle and building a comp rig - it's probably better to go with the Varmint model since you'll eventually be replacing the stock, barrel, and maybe trigger. If you're going to go MDT or KRG, I say go with the regular varmint model.

All are the same action. The MTR has a match chamber. The only difference in the others is the stock.

All are the same action. The MTR has a match chamber. The only difference in the others is the stock.
Ok not sure about gutting it but will set up a good hunter I may do some local plinking but i do more plinking and hunting i just prefer accurate rifles . i have 2 ga precision i use top hunt with and want to do rabbit hunting raccoon and etc. I also have a friend that sets up lolipop shoots duriung the summer would like to be able to kinda hold my own with that.

Ok not sure about gutting it but will set up a good hunter I may do some local plinking but i do more plinking and hunting i just prefer accurate rifles . i have 2 ga precision i use top hunt with and want to do rabbit hunting raccoon and etc. I also have a friend that sets up lolipop shoots duriung the summer would like to be able to kinda hold my own with that.
The real question is how important is overall accuracy and at what distance? If you're not looking for bench rest groups, either barrel chamber will work. The ammo is more critical overall, not to say the rifle doesn't matter. I've seen average rifles shoot amazing with a specific lot, over a higher end rifle with crap ammo.

Lollipops at 100yds with a lot of ammo that has tons of flyers and horrific SD won't work. Invest in a decent rifle, and lot test. You can always swap out a CZ barrel later and the Lilja ones just flat out work.

Reactions: tiger49931
I've had three 457s - American, Varmint MTR, and VPT with the Manners stock. The American's bbl gave poor accuracy, even after pulling it and re-cutting the ragged factory muzzle crown, and putting over 500rds of pretty decent std vel SK ammo through it. The Varmint MTR shot pretty decent right out of the box, just wasn't as consistent as I'd hoped, especially when compared to the 1st custom 22RF I built for myself on a Stiller 2500XR w/Krieger bbl that I chambered with an EPS reamer. Not at all a fair comparison, but a factual statement just the same. The VPT had a bunch of spattered lead fouling about 1" ahead of the chamber that extended about 1-1/2" it new-out-of-the-box. I had to wonder how that got there if all they did at the factory was to shoot the test target with it? I eventually bought Shilen ratchet blanks for both the American & VPT, machined a fairly snug-fitting tenon, chambered them with the same EPS reamer I'd used on the Stiller's Kreiger, cut extractor slots on the mill, and glued them into their respective actions. After doing all that work, they both shot really well, and again, the MTR came off a distant 2nd where accuracy was concerned compared to the two with their Shilen bbls, so I sold it.

I've had three 457s - American, Varmint MTR, and VPT with the Manners stock. The American's bbl gave poor accuracy, even after pulling it and re-cutting the ragged factory muzzle crown, and putting over 500rds of pretty decent std vel SK ammo through it. The Varmint MTR shot pretty decent right out of the box, just wasn't as consistent as I'd hoped, especially when compared to the 1st custom 22RF I built for myself on a Stiller 2500XR w/Krieger bbl that I chambered with an EPS reamer. Not at all a fair comparison, but a factual statement just the same. The VPT had a bunch of spattered lead fouling about 1" ahead of the chamber that extended about 1-1/2" it new-out-of-the-box. I had to wonder how that got there if all they did at the factory was to shoot the test target with it? I eventually bought Shilen ratchet blanks for both the American & VPT, machined a fairly snug-fitting tenon, chambered them with the same EPS reamer I'd used on the Stiller's Kreiger, cut extractor slots on the mill, and glued them into their respective actions. After doing all that work, they both shot really well, and again, the MTR came off a distant 2nd where accuracy was concerned compared to the two with their Shilen bbls, so I sold it.
Flatland,
I'm wanting to set up a ELR 100-500m on a 457,what length and profile would you suggest? I'm not finding any RO's in Shilen,found some R5's.If can't find a Shilen,any suggestions?

The shanks on the R0 & R5 barrels are 1.25" dia, which is larger than the 457 action - I think the round section at the front of the action is 1.180". I don't know if there's any real advantage to going with one of the R-series blanks, and then having to turn the shank down to fit the aciton, or simply buying a .900" or .920 straight cylinder blank.
I bought Shilens for my V22S single shot actions, and after experimenting with the depth of the Nevius chamber on the R5, decided to replace it with a Benchmark 3-groove blank that I'd ordered in the Shilen R5 contour. I've probably put only 250rds through the Benchmark so far, but it's shooting really well. I think that might be what I'd go with if I couldn't find a Shilen, or maybe even just go with the Benchmark regardless?

The shanks on the R0 & R5 barrels are 1.25" dia, which is larger than the 457 action - I think the round section at the front of the action is 1.180". I don't know if there's any real advantage to going with one of the R-series blanks, and then having to turn the shank down to fit the aciton, or simply buying a .900" or .920 straight cylinder blank.
I bought Shilens for my V22S single shot actions, and after experimenting with the depth of the Nevius chamber on the R5, decided to replace it with a Benchmark 3-groove blank that I'd ordered in the Shilen R5 contour. I've probably put only 250rds through the Benchmark so far, but it's shooting really well. I think that might be what I'd go with if I couldn't find a Shilen, or maybe even just go with the Benchmark regardless?
Good to know info on the shank size vs action.Do ya headspace at .043 with the Nevius ?
I think my gun plumber has an eps

From our Quantico rimfire match Saturday. A Team AI guy brought an AI ATX in rimfire and they took an old school Annie from the vault.

IMG_5702.jpg

I don’t shoot often enough at the range to meet anyone else shooting one of these…so my question to y’all’s is how much cock on close is normal for these actions?

About to go on the hunt for a new 457 scout to put away for my grandson until he is old enough to use it.
Will then start picking up parts for it to grow with him & spend more quality time tinkering etc.
Already he has been coming under cars to "help" & takes more in than I thought he would for a little one
He will be 3 this year so hopefully there is a 457 available down here made in 2020.

Just after some info on manufacturing dates, would like to find one made in his birth year if I can.
Do they just have the year on them or do they have day month too ?

Can't find much info by searching & will have to wait until Monday to look at the LGS.

• Love
If anyone started out with the 457 16" pro varmint with the boyd's stock and changed the stock out for a KRG Bravo, will you share your experience? Likes, dislikes, improvements, good choice, etc.?

thanks

I originally put my 16” ProVarmint in a KRG Bravo, but switched to the XRS on a whim and like it more.

I originally put my 16” ProVarmint in a KRG Bravo, but switched to the XRS on a whim and like it more.

Just shows how individual all of this is. I had an XRS and there was just something about I didn’t like, so I sold it. Great design, but I just didn’t like it.

If anyone started out with the 457 16" pro varmint with the boyd's stock and changed the stock out for a KRG Bravo, will you share your experience? Likes, dislikes, improvements, good choice, etc.?

thanks
I like the ergonomics of the pro varmint stock, but upgraded it to the KRG Bravo to move up to NRL22 open along with a Lothar Walther prefit barrel.
I liked the adjustability of the KRG, but for competition use, recommend a 3D printed mag block or mag changes will be a curse fest.
Modularity is a definite plus, but by the time you get the ARCA rail, spigot mount (because the hand guard is short), tool less butt pad adjust etc, the price adds up quickly to full chassis levels.
I ended up going back to the Pro Varmint stock, pillar bedded it, bubba'd a $20 ARCA rail with T screws and epoxy, back to the factory barrel with a tuner, and practiced more positional with an indoor scope cap. This combo usually wins production and have podiums in NRL22, PRS22, and ELR events.
YMMV, happy shooting

About to go on the hunt for a new 457 scout to put away for my grandson until he is old enough to use it.
Will then start picking up parts for it to grow with him & spend more quality time tinkering etc.
Already he has been coming under cars to "help" & takes more in than I thought he would for a little one
He will be 3 this year so hopefully there is a 457 available down here made in 2020.

Just after some info on manufacturing dates, would like to find one made in his birth year if I can.
Do they just have the year on them or do they have day month too ?

Can't find much info by searching & will have to wait until Monday to look at the LGS.
So 10 days later,

Went to the closest local shop first, made 2022 only on the rack & could not be bothered to check the vault, Also Scout model not on Australian distributors list as available here "sorry buy off the rack or I can't/won't help. (What he does not realize is that I know the owner of said shop)
Tried another couple of local "ish" shops with no joy either.

Today went to the Big shop about an hour's drive away, (Have been going there for many years & they import stuff the local distributors don't bring in).
Asked the salesperson who came to serve me if he could check if they had any 457 Scouts in the correct year & he had no idea what I was on about, then asked another more senior staff member who looked over recognized me, they both went out the back for a while & came back with the news they only had one scout(wrong year) but had gone through the other 457's & had one 457 Royal 16" threaded in the correct year that was also on sale (old stock)
He found a takeoff scout stock from a custom build that had not gone on the website yet.

So deposit down on the Royal & the Scout stock for it to go into,
Just have to wait patiently for a Scout barrel to turn up.

And the answer to my original question is,
Build year is clearly marked on the action,
In the box on the test target is a date, day/month/year.
From what I can gather this is the manufacturing date as in date "finished & tested".

So once the required paperwork is filed & back I can bring it home then wait patiently for the time to take him to the range with it

does anyone have a 457 in a boyds at-one in the "royal" (ashed purple) ? trying to see if it looks different than on the site

WARNING to all trying to order from cz-parts. CBP ( Customs and border protection) WILL seize the magazines due to them being imported gun parts. In order to release them, the CBP requires us to register them through the ATF using the form 6 part 1 on eforms. After 2 weeks my form got approved and i got my permit for my 2 22lr magazines. Unfortunately, there is a customs and import fee as well as a storage fee UPS charges when they hold your package. IT ADDED UP TO OVER $625 !!!
So, my recommendation is to suck it up and buy those $70 magazines. And wish me luck because im not paying $700 for a couple of 22lr magazines.

• Wow
Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
WARNING to all trying to order from cz-parts. CBP ( Customs and border protection) WILL seize the magazines due to them being imported gun parts. In order to release them, the CBP requires us to register them through the ATF using the form 6 part 1 on eforms. After 2 weeks my form got approved and i got my permit for my 2 22lr magazines. Unfortunately, there is a customs and import fee as well as a storage fee UPS charges when they hold your package. IT ADDED UP TO OVER $625 !!!
So, my recommendation is to suck it up and buy those $70 magazines. And wish me luck because im not paying $700 for a couple of 22lr magazines.
I don’t understand, I recently bought a couple from the UK and paid less than $40 ea shipped. Mine came eventually by USPS.

I ordered a metal 10-round magazine from CZ-parts and had zero issues. Do NOTE, however that while checking out, there is a disclaimer that they highly recommend you pay the additional fee (I can’t recall what it was) for them to file the proper import paperwork or you may very well face the issue you experienced. I’ll guess that you either missed that warning or ignored it. I paid the fee to them upfront and it was obviously worth it.

Yeah, im definitely not the only one. On rimfire central there's several guys who ran into this issue. As far as the ATF form 6, the shipper cannot fill that out for you. Its a form you have to at least sign and takes about 13 days for approval. I dont recall a disclaimer, but ill have to check that out

Looks like Acme in Australia are the only ones with 15rd mags for these.......they have lots in stock in various shops, but do not export out of Australia. I can't believe no one is importing these, or at the least making reliable ones, here.

Looks like Acme in Australia are the only ones with 15rd mags for these.......they have lots in stock in various shops, but do not export out of Australia. I can't believe no one is importing these, or at the least making reliable ones, here.
There's a 13rd billet mag coming to market but we're just getting production quotes now so it'll still be a few months.

We actually have a plan for both our AICS Elite mag and a CZ mag to be California compliant! They still have the same overall length but with different internals to limit the function.

Reactions: mnhoj and lash
We haven't set a price yet but we've been testing for awhile now and each mag has prob 1k rounds through them in matches. I would guess that pricing will be comparable to buying a metal CZ mag and adding one of our billet extensions. We landed on a 13rd magazine since any longer gets in the way of chassis systems due to the fact it curves.

Reactions: lash and RedDawn
Thanks for your response.
As I'm sure you are aware, if 13 rounds, Maryland residents will not be able to purchase online or in-state. Maryland, and probably other states to follow, have a 10-round limit on in-state purchases.

So we actually have a 10rd compliance fix. It'll have a spacer in the bottom to limit to 10 rounds for places that can't have them.