• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

DA Cards or 5700 AB

SporterII

Minuteman
Nov 23, 2006
Central Fl. USA
I have been needing a kestrel at least for wind. I do not get to shoot often. Should I buy a full capacity Kestral or weather featured and keep with my cards?

I like the Kestrel because the data is up to date and essentially "live" at least till you ask for the solution. Not that you can't get good results with DA cards, and I'd always bring a couple for a backup.

Whats the best way to make up some DA cards? Is there a solver you like best? I assume it would be much easier if it was already on a computer, instead of a device.

I'm in a similarish situation geographically, and I use a DA card taped to my stock. My zero conditions are 1700K DA and my shooting is generally between -2K and 2K DA. I used JBM to find out my drop changes at 500, 750, 1000, and 1250 yards every 1000 DA of change for -3000 DA to 4000 DA. It works very well for me, and it's free which is great. To figure out my DA when I shoot, I use the AutoDens App, which gives you the DA from the nearest airport (good enough for me), and the app also has manual DA calculator you can use in it. Even if I'm between DA and distance numbers (like 660 DA and 835 yards), I'm almost never off by more than 0.1 mil.

I'm a computer moron, but I cannot see where jbm will factor DA in. Let alone print off dope based on DA. Can someone help a blind man across the street?

I should have specified, you need to use the temperature/pressure/elevation to change the DA. The DA formula that I found on an aviation website can be found here https://www.flyingmag.com/technique/tip-week/calculating-density-altitude-pencil. I just made an excel file where I can change the inputs of temp/press/elevation to calculate DA. For example, an easy one is a 15 degree Fahrenheit change changes your DA by 1000 ft. So I set up JBM with my zero conditions (750 ft ele, 70 degrees Fahrenheit, 29.92 in-hg - summer in WI), which is about 1.7K, then change conditions to change DA from there. For example, in winter I still shoot at 15 degrees pretty frequently, so change T to 15, and at 750 yards my 6.5 creedmoor needs another 0.2 mils from my standard drop. We also shoot in South Dakota sometimes, so I'll also go up in my DA chart too. 80 degrees, 29.92 in-hg, 2100 ft ele about is a DA of about 4000, and at 1000 yards, I need 0.4 mils less than usual from my zero conditions. Please let me know if any of that isn't clear. I know it's a decent amount of number crunching, I just had a free afternoon one weekend and gave it a shot, and it works well for me.

Reactions: SLG
Maybe a non-solver Kestrel and the Whiz Wheel will provide the answer you're after.

Personally, due to the terrain and swings in weather conditions hour by hour that we have in my AO, I opted for the do-all AB Kestrel.

Maybe a non-solver Kestrel and the Whiz Wheelwill provide the answer you're after.

Personally, due to the terrain and swings in weather conditions hour by hour that we have in my AO, I opted for the do-all AB Kestrel.

+1. Get the AB Kestrel. Great, and importantly rugged tool. I did all the DA cards, etc. I still carry a few in my pack, but the AB Kestrel is my go-to and its doing a great job. Is it perfect? No. Is it close? In my opinion, yes.