• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dead Air Mask HD .22 suppressor

Suppressor doesn’t touch the bullet, but the barrel. Any change in accuracy is going to be impacted in large by a change in barrel harmonics. I don’t think anyone else’s dead air vs thunderbeast comparison is going to truly correlate with what your end results may be. You would have to shoot both cans on your specific rifle to determine if one or the other has a detrimental effect on your ballistic performance.

Suppressor doesn’t touch the bullet, but the barrel. Any change in accuracy is going to be impacted in large by a change in barrel harmonics. I don’t think anyone else’s dead air vs thunderbeast comparison is going to truly correlate with what your end results may be. You would have to shoot both cans on your specific rifle to determine if one or the other has a detrimental effect on your ballistic performance.
Thanks for the help bud

Like it or not, Powder-burns is correct. You really will not know if a suppressor is going to help or hinder accuracy/precision on YOUR rifle until you try it.

A number of 22 competitors I shoot with have ditched suppressors for prs/nrl style matches and that includes me. (About 50%).

a)My main reason for not using one is I get tired of carbon debris falling back down the barrel getting onto the bolt face when storing the rifle in a vertical rack between match stages and making the bolt “gritty”. Many contemporary suppressor designs have coned baffles that will act as a funnel to loose carbon pieces and drop them down your barrel. My sparrow monocore can doesn’t do this anywhere near as much as the mask and specterII cans do.

b) many of my fellow competitors state they are more precise with the can off (can makes larger groups than bare barrel).

Back to the accuracy/precision question, a can is going to act like a fixed weight static tuner on your rifle. Barrel harmonics are a real thing. I have done a fairly comprehensive 50 yard indoor comparison test with 3 different cans, a compensator and thread protector with a vudoo and decent center-x lot ammo the rifle liked, shot off a bench with a one piece rest. Those results are posted here at the hide in a separate thread.

Reactions: camocorvette
Like it or not, Powder-burns is correct. You really will not know if a suppressor is going to help or hinder accuracy/precision on YOUR rifle until you try it.

A number of 22 competitors I shoot with have ditched suppressors for prs/nrl style matches and that includes me. (About 50%).

a)My main reason for not using one is I get tired of carbon debris falling back down the barrel getting onto the bolt face when storing the rifle in a vertical rack between match stages and making the bolt “gritty”. Many contemporary suppressor designs have coned baffles that will act as a funnel to loose carbon pieces and drop them down your barrel. My sparrow monocore can doesn’t do this anywhere near as much as the mask and specterII cans do.

b) many of my fellow competitors state they are more precise with the can off (can makes larger groups than bare barrel).

Back to the accuracy/precision question, a can is going to act like a fixed weight static tuner on your rifle. Barrel harmonics are a real thing. I have done a fairly comprehensive 50 yard indoor comparison test with 3 different cans, a compensator and thread protector with a vudoo and decent center-x lot ammo the rifle liked, shot off a bench with a one piece rest. Those results are posted here at the hide in a separate thread.
Thanks for the info!

I agree with everything mentioned above. For backyard fun, (or if you have a range to yourself) nothing beats shooting suppressed. I always advise people looking for centerfire suppressors to double down on a .22 can. It make the wait more satisfying when you finally pickup your tax stamped items.

I have a couple Vudoos, a Q Erector and a TB Takedown - waiting on a Q ElCamino. As far a accuracy is concerned harmonics comes into play. The Erector works best on a Bartlein barrel and the Takedown is best on a carbon fiber barrel. I thought it would have been the other way around.

Both cans are great. TB Takedown is much easier to maintain. I suspend the Erector parts in a Hornady sonic cleaner - making sure they don’t touch each other or the tank - and have great success keeping it clean. That is not advised, but I haven’t messed anything up yet.

i don’t tilt my Vudoo’s with cans mounted. They will dump too much debris into the rifle. I remove mine, tap the powder out, remount and move one - not perfect, but it works.

Erector is squirt gun light next to the TB. It wins the cool contents hands down, but both a great suppressors.

I was looking at the dead air since it's the only one in stock locally.

I wasn't planning on using it in the rimfire matches. I was planning on pest control, and I'm probably going to pick up the Ruger mark 4 target they have on the shelf tomorrow to have a fun quiet pistol.

FWIW, I have the Mask. So far, my only suppressor. I love it! I use it on my Vudoo, Anschutz 1416, CZ 455, Kidd 10/22, and various 22 cal. handguns. I shoot suppressed on my backyard 50yd. range and no one knows. I understand that accuracy can be affected but the local fun shoots that I do, I shoot suppressed and I do compete. Yes, powder residue can leave the suppressor and find it's way into the action and a 10/22 is a mess after being shot suppressed. Same for my MK II and MK III Ruger handguns. Yes the suppressor is a mess after 750/1000 rounds and requires cleaning. In spite of all this I still shoot suppressed.

There was a video series posted here before where a guy chronographed his gun with a suppressor on and off. His results showed worse ES and SD with the suppressor and he attributed it to the suppressor causing inconsistent velocity changes.

So there may be more to accuracy with suppressors than just barrel harmonics alone.

here it is,

I have a dead air mask and one other .22 suppressor. My bergara doesn't shoot better with either.
Think of it as a one setting tuner. Either your gun / ammo combination likes it or it doesn't.

My vudoo is only ever shot with a Mask on, here’s a 10 shot 50 yard group. If the can affects accuracy, it’s marginal at worst.

The can does get FILTHY pretty quickly though. I usually clean the rifle every 300-500 rounds or the bolt will get hard to close. I take the bolt apart every other cleaning and take the crud out too.

Attachments

• BD3EF3BB-0EA0-43B2-9EB9-E77AB62BE1E7.jpeg
    BD3EF3BB-0EA0-43B2-9EB9-E77AB62BE1E7.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: MackDaddy1962
I tested my Vudoo at 50 yards with my Spectre II (has click together K baffles like the Mask) and the same lot of Center X with multiple 5 shot groups. Like others have said previously, the suppressed groups were right around 1/2" larger than unsuppressed (.28" vs .47")

For backyard critter control and wowing first time shooters, can on. For matches and medals, somebody else better shoot it :LOL:

Attachments

• BAC7930F-24A2-4E9C-AE41-06385EC90159.png
    BAC7930F-24A2-4E9C-AE41-06385EC90159.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Love my Mask HD!

Kimber Pro TLE/RL II w/ Kimber 5” Target Rimfire conversion, and a Pike Arms 1-piece threaded barrel with my Dead Air Mask HD.

This setup is beyond sweet shooting! It’s as close to “Hollywood quiet” as you can get…

F4971138-56A9-43F9-BF25-4AAE3B89A8C6.jpeg
CB191BEF-86C7-4470-A450-167D1C793B81.jpeg
7B72091F-DAAA-4566-8C61-9AFCE3E3FF28.jpeg

My vudoo is only ever shot with a Mask on, here’s a 10 shot 50 yard group. If the can affects accuracy, it’s marginal at worst.

The can does get FILTHY pretty quickly though. I usually clean the rifle every 300-500 rounds or the bolt will get hard to close. I take the bolt apart every other cleaning and take the crud out too.
I don't see accuracy loss at all with my sparrow. If there is, I'd agree with themightymmah... it's marginal at best.

I don't see any accuracy drop with the Mask on my Bergara, just a slight shift in POI. I could not be more happy with that suppressor. It runs on Ruger MKIII's, MKIV's, a bunch of 10/22's, and a PWS Summit. Heavy duty, low maintenance, and Hollywood quiet. Probably my best firearms purchase ever.

Attachments

• Pelican1.jpg
    Pelican1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 339
I don't see any accuracy drop with the Mask on my Bergara, just a slight shift in POI. I could not be more happy with that suppressor. It runs on Ruger MKIII's, MKIV's, a bunch of 10/22's, and a PWS Summit. Heavy duty, low maintenance, and Hollywood quiet. Probably my best firearms purchase ever.
What scope are you running?

Have a CZ457 AT-One with a 24" barrel that loves the Mask! Shoots lights out (sub .5MOA at 50) and the squirrels hate it! :LOL: My Bergara B14R carbon? Not so much... Still minute of squirrel but shoots better with out it.

Super short and quick video of my shooting my 10/22 @ 200 yards... Only got 1 shot in before someone walked in and interrupted me. I'll try to get more next time.

And I have to update the status of using the Dead Air Mask on the Bergara. It shoots lights out as well. Both rifles are .5MOA at 50 yards. I think it was a parts issue aka the nut behind the trigger. :LOL:

Reactions: zerolumens
I don't have a mask, but do shoot suppressed pretty much exclusively. Both my 10/22 and T1X shoot lights out with the can (F1 Ecco machine) installed with variuous ammo selection. They shoot well enough that I have zero desire to shoot without the can. Matter of fact, the T1X has never been fired sans muffler.

Reactions: zerolumens
I run a SiCo Sparrow and DA Mask on my CZ rimfires. Neither seem to hinder my guns accuracy. FWIW I’m only concerned with hitting “minute-of-varmint”.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I have a mask and have only used it on a couple pistols and a 17hmr and haven't noticed anything too degrading. My question is and I understand it acting like a fixed tuner for better or worse but what about each time you take it off and on. Wouldn't that change POI each and every time you take it off and put back on?

I have a mask and have only used it on a couple pistols and a 17hmr and haven't noticed anything too degrading. My question is and I understand it acting like a fixed tuner for better or worse but what about each time you take it off and on. Wouldn't that change POI each and every time you take it off and put back on?
Not in my experience...

I take mine off my Rim-X after ever range session and haven't encountered any POI change when I reattach.

The 1st 22RF rifles I shot suppressed were built on a couple of CMP 40X/XB actions that jelrod converted into repeaters for use with V-22 mags for me. I barreled both actions with 26" custom barrels (Lilja titebore & Benchmark 3-groove, both in Rem sendero contour). At that time five years ago, the only 22RF suppressor I had was a SWR Spectre II, and I was pretty well convinced that there was no degradation of accuracy with the can mounted vs w/o the can. But since then, I've built an early Gen 1 V-22 with a Krieger sendero blank that I finished at 22", bought a VGW bbl'd action with a 22" Bartlein in Kukri contour, and barreled a RimX action with another 22" Bartlein in sendero contour - and all of them shoot a bit better w/o the TBAC 22TD can...and the same is true when I tried it again with the Spectre II. I did another 22" Krieger sendero for the 40XB repeater, and have swapped it back-and-forth with the original Lilja titebore bbl that I did for this rifle, but I've never tested these two barrels against each other with & w/o can mounted to see if the longer Lilja shoots better with a can than the 22" Krieger does. It'd be logical to suspect that the 26" bbl would be slightly more susceptible to anything being mounted on the muzzle than the somewhat stiffer 22", but there's only one way to find out...and I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Reactions: nikonNUT
I clean my suppressor and Tikka every 1000 rounds or so. Gun is stored muzzle up, suppressor attached. I've never noticed any fouling induced bolt drag or difficulty closing. Maybe my rifle has a sloppy bolt to receiver fit? I don't shoot rimfire semiautomatic rifles because I did find action cleaning to be a PITA.