• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Deepwater horizon interview

Re: Deepwater horizon interview

The Horizon(owned by Trans Ocean) is actually a DP Drilling Platform. I doubt very seriously that they would have been tied up to it fishing. Now they might have been tied up to the Na Kika(owned by BP) which sits about 2 miles away from where the Horizon was located.

Looks like they're going to pin it on Haliburton.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703572504575214593564769072.html

Concerns about the cementing process—and about whether rigs have enough safeguards to prevent blowouts—raise questions about whether the industry can safely drill in deep water and whether regulators are up to the task of monitoring them.

The scrutiny on cementing will focus attention on Halliburton Co., the oilfield-services firm that was handling the cementing process on the rig, which burned and sank last week. The disaster, which killed 11, has left a gusher of oil streaming into the Gulf from a mile under the surface.

Federal officials declined to comment on their investigation, and Halliburton didn't respond to questions from The Wall Street Journal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like they're going to pin it on Haliburton.
</div></div>

Well of the last 30 blowouts in the world. Haliburton was involved in the "cementing process" of 18 of those. Not very good numbers if you ask me. It is that just most of the blowouts occur overseas and you never hear about it...Kinda like you never hear about all the kidnapping of oil workers in West Africa
smile.gif

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Well of the last 30 blowouts in the world. Haliburton was involved in the "cementing process" of 18 of those. Not very good numbers if you ask me. </div></div>
Not when you put it like that, but that number doesn't mean anything in isolation. For statistical significance, you would need to compare like designs, of like ages and compare them against how many they built work vs fail, and compare that to their competition. If Haliburton has say 70% marketshare, they are still beating the industry as a whole. Also, could it be the cement materials vs the people doing the work? With better steel, the Titanic may not have sunk.

I have no idea what the market facts are, but the 18/30 figure, in and of itself, doesn't mean anything. It makes you feel like there's something to investigate, but it may be a complete dead end.

I find it "Weird" - no tinfoil hat crap, just "Weird" that the annointed one says "We'll open up offshore drilling and get more coal mines going" - yet he threatened to bankrupt them all for green energy.

So I find it "coincedental" that the worst oil disaster on the contintental united states happens within one month of that.

We are also the only country (aka Cheap) that doesn't use remote control cut off valves - the BP guy tried to say "ROVERS can do it"....

This whole thing stinks.

Is it that hard for an environmental terrorist to get hired onto one of these platforms?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find it "Weird" - no tinfoil hat crap, just "Weird" that the annointed one says "We'll open up offshore drilling and get more coal mines going" - yet he threatened to bankrupt them all for green energy.

So I find it "coincedental" that the worst oil disaster on the contintental united states happens within one month of that.

We are also the only country (aka Cheap) that doesn't use remote control cut off valves - the BP guy tried to say "ROVERS can do it"....

This whole thing stinks.

Is it that hard for an environmental terrorist to get hired onto one of these platforms?</div></div>

It was probably the same people that orchestrated the whole 9/11 thing.

They cant pin it on Halliburton. Whether or not the cement hardened still doesnt explain WHY THE BOP DIDNT WORK. There is certain factors that are indicated when a blowout is coming. This being that the mud will start back-flowing.

There are mud loggers that are constantly monitoring the weight and viscosity of the mud going in the hole and coming out. The BOP's are set up with 5 valves that operate clip and shear rams that can shut-off the flow and seal the riser. This BOP can be operated from the Rig control or from subsea via ROV interface ( which I have a firm experience in and around).

Im not trying to negate what anyone has said but some of your replies are pure speculation and by the way, it is against Federal law and against BP and TransOcean's and USGC and and whole bunch of others' policies to have any vessel other than a support vessel (crew boat, supply vessel) to be tied to any operating DP platform or vessel in the GoM. That would constitute a security breach and carries heavy penalties.

Read this: http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=92780