• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Deer hunting in Ohio

PhOnEpHrEaK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2006
Salem, Ohio
This will be my first year hunting here in Ohio. I'm used to hunting with a rifle but unfortunately they don't allow rifles for deer season so I'm having to adapt and need help.

I'll be using a rifled 12 gauge during gun season. I have no idea what kind of ammo to use for deer.

Secondly I can't use a bow due to tendon damage in my left arm. So I'll have to go with a crossbow, any suggestions on a fairly accurate one? In not looking to spend a fortune as I'm a college student.

Do some shopping around on the cross bows, you don't have to buy a new one and can get a good used one for a couple hundred bucks.
All the technology in them now a days and improving all the time makes them reliable even if not a name brand.

I have a lower end Barnett and its accurate out to 30 yards.

Some big deer in Ohio. Good luck this season

I use a TC encore for deer hunting in Ohio. I get more range out of it, than I do with my shotgun. As far as cross bows are concerned, both Ten Point and Horton are make in the NE Ohio area.

Check out hornadys sst sabot, lightfield, and berneke i believe thats how it is spelled for the 12 gauge. I also agree ten point and horton crossbows are good for up there as well. I hunted many years in Ohio till I joined the service.

I'm used to roaming the mountains hunting with a rifle. This whole sitting a stand thing is going to be..... different to say the least.. Thanks for the advice.

I use a Horton crossbow and have been very impressed with the accuracy.

As for guns, a muzzleloader will probably get you better range than a shotgun and you can use it in shotgun season and in muzzleloader season. If you decide to go with a shotgun, you'll have to try various types of ammo to see what it likes. I've settled on Remington Slugger ammo.

Hornady SST slugs are murder on deer. When I hunt with a slug gun that is what I use my wife uses the same. I'm a pistol guy.

As for crossbows Horton is no longer in biz they were bought by Ten point. Take a look at Excaliber, Barnett, Ten point and if you want one that is smoking fast look at a PSE tac-15 uses a AR 15 lower.

Living in Indiana, we have/had the same rules: no rifles. I used a 20 ga when I first started hunting but soon left it in the safe when I found inline muzzleloaders. I was much more accurate with the ML and only had to sight in one gun for the season. Several years ago, IN started to let up on the rules a bit and allowed pistol caliber rifles. I now hunt with a 44 mag bolt action Ruger 77/44. To get back on topic, Try looking at a ML with a 250 grain Hornady SST over 100-150 grains of powder(I prefer IMR White Hots). It does a good job on deer. Good out well past 100 yards.

there is also the smokeless ML i have heard good things about them not a hunter but markb317 here on the hide
uses one and he has hit steel repeatable at 600.

there are some monsters in southern ohio, i miss that part of ohio.