• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dick's Sporting Goods - Rem. 700-V: Range Report

Killer Spade 13

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2011
Roswell, Ga.
Anyone out there get his basic build from the special that's being offered by Dick's Sporting Goods?

Picked up a Rem. 700-V in .308. Will be discarding the really crappy stock and building up.

Got it for $499 after the rebate.

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods - Rem. 700-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMcLeroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got it for $499 after the rebate. </div></div>
Hard to beat that for a .308! A good stock and scope should make a shooter for a reasonable price.

Going with a B&C, Jewell, and CDI DBM.

Actually, I removed the stock, free floated the barrel. Shoots just like a 700 is supposed to.

The trigger is a piece of junk, however.

Can't wait to get the Jewell on.

Best thing anyone can do . . . replace a factory trigger.

do you happen to have a Remington model number for the rifle? I'd like to look it up (can't find a 700 V listed). Thx.

If you're searching the Dick's on-line page, it won't be listed. It's a store item only.

I'm sorry but I can't resist this one... why not just save your money and buy a Savage. I guarentee you it will be cheaper after you pay $500 for the stock rifle and complete all of your "upgrades".

Sorry, Sarge, I'm a Remington guy, through and through.

I've a 7mm Rem. Mag. Sendero I tweaked out several years ago.
Had Premier Reticles trick out my Leupold Vari-X III for me with hold over stadia out to 500 yds. by 50 yd. increments.

It's one heck of a shooter, but I'm kinda small and the recoil can become worrisome.

I've a Ruger M77-V in .308, but the after market upgrades are all but non-existent. It's a shooter, also. Sub minute of angle.

In the end, just stubborn, I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, Sarge, I'm a Remington guy, through and through.

I've a 7mm Rem. Mag. Sendero I tweaked out several years ago.
Had Premier Reticles trick out my Leupold Vari-X III for me with hold over stadia out to 500 yds. by 50 yd. increments.

It's one heck of a shooter, but I'm kinda small and the recoil can become worrisome.

I've a Ruger M77-V in .308, but the after market upgrades are all but non-existent. It's a shooter, also. Sub minute of angle.

In the end, just stubborn, I guess. </div></div>

I can't blame you, I have two remington 700's one in 300win mag and another in .223 remington. They are great guns, and for the price you can't go wrong. I do love my Savages though. Have fun shooting.

Lone Wolf, I sold the scope, bases and rings that came with mine for $50. Dropped the purchase price to $449.

Looks like a great deal...I bought mine for about that much as well.

Went by my local Dick's at lunch and they didn't have the 700-v but they did have a SPS varmint in .308 or .22-250 with camo stock and cheap 4-12x scope on sale for $449.

Man, it was tempting to pull out the plastic but I fear I would have been signing my death warrant with the wife. :)

Charlie

In reality these rifles represent a false economy.

You can buy brand new M700 actions for about $350, so you are paying $150 for a marginal factory Remmy barrel.

Action-only, plus a good cut rifled barrel and installation by a competent gunsmith is a much better deal.

Tried to find the same thing down here, but all they had were either 22-250's or .223's. The trigger would have been better, but I'd be changing it out anyway.

Regardless, as it sits now, it's EXTREMELY accurate. Will have to take some pics of shot groups. I do only cold bore shots. Some people would die if they saw me pouring ice water on my barrel.

Do what ya gotta do.

I purchased this gun a few years back at Dick's Sporting Goods for $499.00 after the rebate. I replaced the stock with a
B&C, added a 20 MOA base, bottom metal, bipod and adusted the factory trigger. With these modifications and my hand loads, I've been able to achieve some .5" groups with what amounts to a factory rifle.

I've decided to spend some more money this year on a few more upgrades. I'm adding a DBM, tactical bolt knob, upgrading the barrel to a Rock Creek, replacing the trigger, adding an oversize recoil lug, truing the action, creakote and skim bedding the action. When all is said and done I'll have somehwere around $1,800.00 invested in my rifle without the optics.

Overall I've been very pleased with the rifle, but wish I had saved my money and purchased a used custom rifle from one of you guys.

Joe

I bought one of these earlier in the year. I dropped it into a MCS-T with a mini chassis and shot it for the first time last week. Big complaint was the trigger... it was horrid. I am probably going to replace with a Timney 510 when the next Midway 20 off 200 discount rolls around, or else maybe buy the Brownells kit that has the 510, some punches, brass hammer, and a bench block (since I need a set of punches) if there is a decent Brownells coupon in the near future.

I was shooting 168 grain SMKs over 44 grains of RE15 (I think, I wrote it down) and it seemed very accurate. I am probably going to back off on the load next time out though. Once I swap the trigger i'll do some load development and see what she can do.

Pics are up there of the rifle so far. I will be getting either a Viper PST 6-24x, SS 5-20x HD, or a Mark4 6.5-20x. Can't decide. But that is it so far, and I'm VERY pleased with the progress.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In reality these rifles represent a false economy.

You can buy brand new M700 actions for about $350, so you are paying $150 for a marginal factory Remmy barrel.

Action-only, plus a good cut rifled barrel and installation by a competent gunsmith is a much better deal. </div></div>

Depends on what your goals are.

Those marginal hammer forged barrels are capable of winning matches. Mine do. [;)]

It gets a guy shooting for less and allows him to upgrade as he goes. You can learn a lot by the time you have shot out a factory tube. You can't get a barrel blank for $150 so I call that a deal.

Now if you are shooting benchrest, or another discipline where 3/4 MOA isn't good enough, then the decision point may shift. I haven't been to a tactical match that couldn't be won by a 1 MOA rifle if the shooter knows how to drive it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Best thing anyone can do . . . replace a factory trigger. </div></div>

Many of us would disagree with you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Many of us would disagree with you. </div></div>

Once I adjusted my X-Mark Pro factory trigger, I was very pleased with the results. I no longer see the need to replace it.... So +1 for LoneWolfUSMC
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

No doubt, just my opinion.

So far i've owned 5 rifles with the newer xmark pro triggers; 2 of them adjusted great the other 3 were hopeless.

It's easy for opinions to be all over the place on the factory xmark trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So far i've owned 5 rifles with the newer xmark pro triggers; 2 of them adjusted great the other 3 were hopeless.

It's easy for opinions to be all over the place on the factory xmark trigger. </div></div>

Mine was one of the hopeless ones. Screw completely out and it still wouldn't go below 6#s and was all over the place consistency wise. I replaced it with a solid not stamped remington trigger. I have two or three more of the stamped style older triggers in my storage box.

I picked up two one in 22-250 the other 308. The 22-250 did not come with an ajustable trigger but the 308 did. I have had no issues with the X-Mark trigger. The 22-250 I kept in the stock that came with it and it is my varmint rig. The 308 has been customed and dropped into an ACIS 1.5 and you can shoot 1/4moa with it. I only threaded the barrel for a flash suppressor / suppressor combo and had a oversize bolt knob installed and had it duracoated. The problem with the aluminum bottom metal that comes with the rifle is that you will never be able to take your torque settings higher to tune your weapon because you may crack it. Plus you get stock flex, all of these items are a small price for a good barrel and action setup that you can upgrade. There are a lot of good stock and bottom metal systems out there now that will not put you in the poor house building. My partner bought two also like I did and put the 308 in a B&C tactical stock and it shoots 1/4moa also. For us married guys it also keeps the wife happy when the rifle is under $500.00 when you buy it. Now what you put on it after may hurt you!

One of their ADL Varmints was the basis for my build. Just kept the barreled action. It seemed like a good starting point since I wasn't paying for parts I didn't plan to keep anyway.

I've started a build or 2 off of guns I've got at Wal-Mart (as much as I hate them) and am thinking about maybe a Savage build off one of the 111 243 guns since I don't beleive Savage makes a 6.5 Creedmore, but I could be wrong there.

Here is mine with the new scope today.

DSC01016.jpg

photo7.jpg

It still has the same Remington Barrel it came with. Everything else is pretty much changed out though.

Very nice, did not know you could get those kind of groups from snap caps

I have had some of the lowend Remington heavies. No complaints about the accuracy. Even in the cheesy stocks, they did .75moa or better. A tweaking of the trigger and a dab of bedding compound and they were good to go.

Here is mine
sps-tactical-022.jpg

I think I should have saved my money up and got a better rifle. It took me two years to find a load that would shoot under one inch at 100 yards with a 5 shot group. But it still shoots and I have fun with it.

I have a brand spanking new one sitting in the safe.

Just waiting to go out to the range to get some accuracy tests.

$588 out the door with the cheesy variable scope and no-name rings. At least it came with Leupold bases. Of course those will get junked too since they are flat, two piece bases.

Going to shoot it factory, then put it in an XLR Chassis and see the difference.

Hey, LoneWolf,

Here's a pic of what my Cracker Jack stocked Remington did for the very first shot group after zeroing:

1st_Group.jpg

I called the flier at 5 o'clock. I knew it was going there as soon as I squeezed the round off, but couldn't pull out in time (oops, does that mean I got the target pregnant?)

That 3rd shot shoud have been in the hole with the first 2.

Should have my Jewell and B&C on in about 2 weeks. Eagerly awaiting to see what it will do then.

Hmmmm . . . "Cracker Jack", I think that's what I'll name my new build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lightsareout</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really need to get a new scope on mine, my groups are nothing close to those. </div></div>

They generally won't be. When my SPS-V was still in it's facotry stock, I could "cherry pick" 1/2 MOA five shot groups. There was no way I could repeat the fear on command. That is wha accuracy is really about. If it's not Repeatable, then it's an accident or coincidence.

Even with a $2k scope, aftermarket trigger and stock the rifle will still hover between 1/2 and 3/4 moa. If you get a good one they lean to 1/2 moa. That is for a standard accuracy test of 5x5 at 100 yards.

Well, component parts on the way:

Jewell varmint trigger
B&C A5 stock
Badger Ordinance 20" single piece base
Blackhawk tactical rings

Get the parts, slop some glue on them, stick them on the skeleton and see what it'll do.

Wish me luck.

Personally I have had a lot of Remingtons,some shoot some dont,just like every other brand of rifle.However it really is cheaper in the the end just to buy a higher quality rifle to begin with as the Remington you just dumped a ton of money into ,is still just a Remington when your done and still worth what a Remingtons resale value is,which does not even come close too the holding value of a high end rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However it really is cheaper in the the end just to buy a higher quality rifle to begin with as the Remington you just dumped a ton of money into ,is still just a Remington when your done and still worth what a Remingtons resale value is,which does not even come close too the holding value of a high end rifle. </div></div>

That is really going to depend on what you plan to do with it. Its kind of silly to buy a diesel dually if all you do is tote the kids to soccer.

As for resale value, take a look at what used GA Precision rifles go for. Many of those are still just Remington rifles that have been worked over in every way possible.

I would suspect that the vast majority of the shooters on this forum are running stock or mildly worked over mid-range factory rifles. Its a fact of life for many that its easier to buy a budget rifle and then build it out to suit as funds allow.

Many of us would disagree with you.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clj94104</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Once I adjusted my X-Mark Pro factory trigger, I was very pleased with the results. I no longer see the need to replace it.... So +1 for LoneWolfUSMC
grin.gif
</div></div>

That is the exact same thing I said, until the shoe broke away from the trigger a few weeks ago. Replaced with a Timney 510 will never have a X mark again on anything...

I tell you if I swore off of everything I ever broke, my choices would be pretty easy.

As it is, I usually look at the track record of the equipment involved. We are talking about two different triggers here. The X-mark Pro trigger has the grub screw in the trigger. The standard X-mark does not. The standard trigger is the one that comes on the Dicks ADL Varmint or the SPS-V.

The timney trigger is a great option and avoids the problems of the pre-2006 and the X-mark triggers.

I had no trouble adjusting the standard x-mark on my Dicks varmint 308 ADL. I actually prefer it, since the screw doesn't protrude out near the trigger. Of course if I had a lot of money, I'd replace it, but for me the main concerns were upgrading the scope and rings. Standard bases work fine for me (no 1k yards, yet). Bedded and modded the grip with MarineTex. I would do the exact same thing again in a heartbeat. I'm a novice, so 1 MOA to 200 is still pretty exciting for me.

DotDrill1.jpg
DotDrilll2.jpg

Well, here's my first and second dot drills after the build. I think the lateral movement is due to improper sight picture/cheek weld. Will work on that on the next shoot.

The red dots are the requisite 1/2" diameter.
I allowed myself 2 minutes to complete the shots.
Shots were made from the bipod and forearm elevation adjustment.

Next round I'll concentrate on sight pictue and cheek weld.

If that doesn't tighten up the group then I take the next step.

I guess I really do need to get the rifle on some bags.

I did a similar deal at Cabela's. $549 for Remington 700 ADL with a Cabela's Alpha 3-12x scope. It let me get started shooting on the cheap.

The first issue was the trigger. It was very inconsistent. I had a gunsmith hone the sear and set it at 2.5#. That was better, but it's still inconsistent. The optic was ok, but I wanted a mil-dot scope with adjustable turrets. I also wanted to replace the stock.

As it is now, it's a 1 MOA rifle. I know I am limited by the sporter barrel, so that gets replaced soon. I may get a Timmey trigger to replace the stock trigger. Eventually, the only thing remaining from the original gun will be the bolt. Knowing what I know now, I would not do it this way again. Next time, I'll build a custom.

Well, with everything except the scope, I have $1430 in this rifle.

Going to check the accuracy off some bags or hard supports and see what it'll do.

Right now, I'm thinking it's the shooter, not the rifle.

The human physiology has multiple times the variances as does a mechanical object.

Bullet, barrel, load . . . all other things being equal . . . so forth and so on.

Guess this is as good of place as any to ask some questions regarding these guns. I'm contemplating building another R700 as opposed to buying one almost done like my 5R. I've been looking at where to find an action to start with, since they're kinda hard to come by themselves. Here's what I found.

Wally world in town has an R700 of some sort with a cheesy black plastic stock, scope, etc in .243. Are there any differences in these actions than say a slightly higher priced gun elsewhere? The plan is to maybe buy it for $397 minus $40 rebate bringing it to $357 and strip it down to reciever and bolt. Then have someone do some work on the reciever, install a better barrel (Bartlein, Rock, Shilen, etc?), bolt knob and get it coated.

Then find a Manners, McMillan, HS or B&C stock that I like, bed it, install a Jewel trigger and some glass, and shoot it lots. I'm gonna set it up as a .308 since I have the 5R and love the round for some reason.

I know I can buy complete rifles in various places, but there's a certain "I did it myself" factor that I like to maintain with everything I own.

Would you pick this up for the said price, or run far away from it and get a better action from something else? Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not they're within normal tolerances, or if they're seconds?