• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Difference between Lone Peak and Defiance?

SuperSneakySniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Hey there folks.
Ive been narrowing down the action choice for a future build and I am liking the idea of a Lone Peak Fuzion, however, im having trouble discerning differences between the Lone Peak and a Defiance Deviant action. They pretty much seem the same as far as specs go. I called Lone Peak and they said their bolt stop is supported by the action, which is something Defiance said they didnt have. I also hear the bolt lift is nicer on the LP. But that may be subjective i dont know.
But aside from that,
Anyone able to compare the two? In terms of feel or durability? Any galling issues?
There's lots of info on Defiance but not as much on LP, any reason why Defiance seems more prominent? Does it have advantages over LP?
So far i havent come across a single negative thing about LP.

Last edited:
I have built quite a few rifles on the Defiance, and a few on the Lone Peak Razor action. For over all fit, finish, and consistency I would give a slight nod to the Defiance. But that may be just because I have built a lot more of them and that is what I am "used to" now. Not saying the Lone Peak is a bad action by any means though. As far as the bolt stop deal, are you saying defiance told you that the action does not support the bolt stop? If so, they need to have a talking to whoever told you that there. The rearward force on the Defiance bolt stop is very much on the action, not the pin. The bolt stop is pretty much identical between them.

I have a defiance with a few thousand rounds on it. It's performed well on dusty ranges, sleet, snow, rain, etc. It served as my elk rig for the past 5 years, seeing some nasty weather. It has never given me problems. With that said, I recently acquired a few lone peak Fuzion Ti long actions for an ultra light (relative to the 15lb defiance actioned rifle) long range hunting rifle. Looking over the Fuzion Ti and cycling it obnoxiously, my gut says it's going to perform as well as the defiance. The tolerances feel every bit as consistent as my defiance which I'll assume gives just enough clearance to keep dirt, grime, and debris from seizing the action. For a Ti action, it's every bit as smooth as my defiance. Time will tell... this is my preliminary assessment rather than real world experience. I will also add, the folks at Lone Peak were great to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have built quite a few rifles on the Defiance, and a few on the Lone Peak Razor action. For over all fit, finish, and consistency I would give a slight nod to the Defiance. But that may be just because I have built a lot more of them and that is what I am "used to" now. Not saying the Lone Peak is a bad action by any means though. As far as the bolt stop deal, are you saying defiance told you that the action does not support the bolt stop? If so, they need to have a talking to whoever told you that there. The rearward force on the Defiance bolt stop is very much on the action, not the pin. The bolt stop is pretty much identical between them.

Yeah that is the strangest thing. Multiple people have told me that the Defiance bolt stop is supported, but i did speak with a rep from Defiance who said that wasnt the case and that they "would rather replace a bent pin if need be, rather than damage the action". So ive never really known exactly what's going on there.

How do they compare in terms of bolt lift? I heard the Lone Peak has a very light lift, which is what got me interested in the first place. Im not sure if there is a difference in feel between the Razor and Fuzion, but i was planning on the Fuzion.

Last edited:
I am not sure how folks can put these two actions on equal footing. I've had several defiance actions. My lone peak's made them feel very cheap and unpolished. I literally sold every single defiance I had and am working on getting those rifles replaced with Lone Peak fuzions.

Reactions: cg1shark
Has anybody laid hands on the Mack Brothers Evo action?

Looking to do a lightweight build for a sheep hunt on either a Lone Peak or Mack Brothers Evo.

Reactions: duramaxed
You should also look at nucleus action or origin, just to give you some more time to think about options.

It's been a while has anyone had some experience with the Lone Peak Fuzion?

I cycled a Lone peak last weekend with a defiance next to it. The Lone peak is smoother and lift and close were easier. Both had 1000 rounds thru them. I was sold on lone peak but don’t offer lefthand yet.

Reactions: Tony1320
I cycled a Lone peak last weekend with a defiance next to it. The Lone peak is smoother and lift and close were easier. Both had 1000 rounds thru them. I was sold on lone peak but don’t offer lefthand yet.
Lone Peak offers left hand in all configurations they offer

Yeah that is the strangest thing. Multiple people have told me that the Defiance bolt stop is supported, but i did speak with a rep from Defiance who said that wasnt the case and that they "would rather replace a bent pin if need be, rather than damage the action". So ive never really known exactly what's going on there.

How do they compare in terms of bolt lift? I heard the Lone Peak has a very light lift, which is what got me interested in the first place. Im not sure if there is a difference in feel between the Razor and Fuzion, but i was planning on the Fuzion.
Correct on the pin for the bolt stop. I had replaced the pin and spring once a year on a GAP/Defiance action before i had sold the rifle.

Last edited:
It's been a while has anyone had some experience with the Lone Peak Fuzion?

I have about 1k rounds on mine.. they are great out of the box, but it is exceptional now. You just can't get them to bind up. Bolt manipulation and lift is the best out of anything I've tried.

Honestly, their titanium offerings are slicker than most others stainless recievers.

I would recommend them without hesitation.

Reactions: Hugh_Jassol
I have about 1k rounds on mine.. they are great out of the box, but it is exceptional now. You just can't get them to bind up. Bolt manipulation and lift is the best out of anything I've tried.

Honestly, their titanium offerings are slicker than most others stainless recievers.

I would recommend them without hesitation.

Have you tried a Surgeon, Defiance, Impact?

How's the bolt timing?

Reactions: Wyo7
Have you tried a Surgeon, Defiance, Impact?

How's the bolt timing?

Bolt timing in what regard?

No time with surgeon.. I've played with defiance and impact, yet. Impact is a great reciever for sure. I don't think you can go wrong with impact or LP.

OP did you ever decide between the two?

I have two Defiances (one with polished internals and DLC coating, the other is Cerakoted), DLC Mausingfield and soon the wife is getting a Lone Peak Fuzion.

I'll be happy to provide a comparison once we get the Fuzion in our hands.

OP did you ever decide between the two?

I have two Defiances (one with polished internals and DLC coating, the other is Cerakoted), DLC Mausingfield and soon the wife is getting a Lone Peak Fuzion.

I'll be happy to provide a comparison once we get the Fuzion in our hands.

Any chance of a necro update?

Any chance of a necro update?

Certainly.

I won't touch much on the Cerakoted Defiance - it's an old Rebel action from an old GAP Crusader action. Bolt lift is stiff on this one, and it doesn't do very well with debris. Was my original PRS rifle, and it didn't handle the TX and OK dust well. Had to run it dry and pull the bolt often in order to keep it running. Lugs ended up galling on this action, it just wasn't meant to handle any dust.

The above action was replaced with a DLC'ed Mausingfield. My Mausingfield has a LRI bolt handle and BnA Tacsport two stage trigger. Bolt lift and close is really light. At the 2018 Quiet Riot PRS match, it was super windy and dusty, the kind of environments that make actions like mine above quiver and go down. The Mausingfield handled it very well, much better then my previous Defiance. It would feel gritty if you ran the bolt slow, but wasn't noticeable when you were behind the rifle on the clock. Cleaned and lubed the bolt at the end of each day. I will say some critique the Mausingfield saying it has a heavy bolt lift - my friend who has an identical action with the exception of the LRI bolt handle and a Huber trigger does feel ~3x heavier on bolt open and close then mine. This made me really realize how important the trigger and action mating (or "timing") is in how a bolt action feels. Mine feels great. This is the only CRF action in this list. It's a cool feature, helps prevent double feeding but I personally feel it's more of a "nice to have" then a "must have" feature.

My DLC Defiance Deviant is a LA on my .300NM. It doesn't spend extended times in adverse environments like my PRS rifle is, so I can't give it an honest view on reliability in adverse conditions to the extent I can with my PRS use actions. I haven't had any issues with it in the dust, thus far though. The action feels super smooth - between getting the raceways polished and the DLC treatment, the action feels slick. Bolt lift and close is light, similar to the Mausingfield. This action also sports a BnA Tacsport trigger, with the correct sear height and sear engagement adjusted to "time" it to the action. I'm very happy with this action as a magnum action, no regrets. I think the newer Defiances are built to handle dust and debris better then my older Rebel, people like Terry Cross have a lot of success with them. I would stick with nitride or DLC as a surface treatment, and skip Cerakote unless you spec the action appropriately and have a well known Cerakote applicator apply it.

The Lone Peak is really nice. It has a different feel to it with bolt lift. The first initial ~10-15% is a slightly heavier bolt lift to my Mausingfield and Defiance Deviant, but after that it feels like it "snaps open", it almost opens itself. Bolt close is light as well, overall really nice and smooth bolt manipulation. This action handles the dirt/dust and wind really well. At that same 2018 Quiet Riot match, where I had to clean the Mausingfield after each day and had a grittyness to it when running slowly, there was a Lone Peak in my squad which just ate the dust. Run the bolt fast or slow, the dust didn't affect the action in the slightest. At the end of day one I felt the Lone Peak in my squad, ran it back and forth nice and slowly and no grittyness at all. The owner didn't see any point in cleaning it at the end of the day. I will give this action the nod above the others for reliance in adverse conditions. I will say the ejector on my wifes Lone Peak is a bit weak - this is my only "gripe" (and not really a gripe since it can be remedied really easily, and this can happen on most any action). It ejects empty brass fine, but sometimes loaded 6BRA rounds don't get completely ejected. This is a very easy fix however, and can happen with any action that doesn't have the robust Mauser style extractor (so almost any custom action available minus say the Mausingfield and a handful of others). I haven't bothered to fix it, it's my wifes plinker rifle and doesn't happen often enough to bug either of us.

Overall, all of the 3 actions I go into above (ignoring the cerakoted Defiance here) run great and I am very happy with. I think the important thing is getting a trigger properly mated with the action, in regards to feel. Surface treatment matters as well, nitride and DLC are much superior to Cerakote in my books. Cerakote is thicker and will reduce the tolerances in your action, potentially reducing reliability (as it did in my case). The Lone Peak is definitely an excellent 2 lug push feed option - the quality is great, it eats the dirt like its candy, bolt manipulation feels really nice and that action feels almost faster with the bolt wanting to "snap open" on it's own. If you want a good quality 2 lug push feed action, I definitely wouldn't discount the Lone Peak Fuzion, for a PRS style rifle, I don't think you can do better.

Last edited:
Keeping this old thread alive. Hopefully OP found something he's happy with or if he's still looking hopefully this helps. I have a Loan Peak Fuzion blued stainless lefty and absolutely love it, but it's my first custom action so I really can't compare it to other customs. I can compare it to more production style actions but it wouldn't be a fair comparison obviously. Honestly being my first custom the main reason I bought it is because it is very similar to the Impact, which has been dominating PRS over the last few years, I bought it second hand but unused on the hide for a very fair price, so I figured I can't go wrong. So far I've only shot club matches with it would have been very pleased and confident with it. It has a trigger tech diamond. Very smooth, never had any binding. Compared to my RPR and my Bergera B14 the action almost runs itself, but keep in mind the RPR is a 60° bolt throw so cocking is a lot more aggressive on both lift. Hope this helps!