• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

DIY - Shooters logbook

Ballistic308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2010
The smart side of Oregon
First off you's need to get yourself one of these (or eight) nice inexpensive <span style="text-decoration: line-through">$2.99 </span>$17.99 camo-flaj-ee tree ring binders. The desert camo ones for $2.99 sold out...bummer.

http://store.franklinplanner.com/store/c...der?skuId=33042

album.ashx

Then go to your local office supply store and get yourself some 67lb paper, this was $12.50 for 250 sheet. If you chose something heavier like 80 or 110 lb it may not feed through the "laser" printer. A paper cutter it nice to have to have as it makes cutting the sheet go fast as well as keeping the pages nice and even. You can choose to use Rite in the Rain paper too ($12 for 50 pages), but as many mistakes as I made I would have used it all up.
smile.gif

I also chose to include a 4x7 notepad for preliminary data and calculations prior to actually logging the data.

album.ashx

I print the pages front and back, hole punch them and rock and roll! The heavier paper is great as it aids in keeping the paper from tearing or breaking at the holes.

The pages can be downloaded from this site: http://www.shootingvoodoo.com/index.php/library/data_book_pages/

album.ashx

album.ashx

I chose to give it the personal touch and had name badges made for the Tier 1 club...oh, and one for my buddy Rich who is a great guy for taking jokes.
smile.gif

This one cost me a whopping $5.49 and $10.44 with name plate.

album.ashx

album.ashx

Re: DIY - Shooters logbook

What a great way for a beginner shooter, like me, to get started. Thanks for the info and all the links. I am going to order some.

Appears that you may have bought them out as the binder link will not allow you to add it to your cart. Very nice and concise write up with links. This is pretty much how we had to do it for years until production models became readily available. We typically had to hand draw what we wanted and then burn copies. Shooting VooDoo is a an excellent resource for precison rifle shooting topics and well worth the time to read his articles. Again thank you for taking time to post your project.

Danel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Appears that you may have bought them out as the binder link will not allow you to add it to your cart. Very nice and concise write up with links. This is pretty much how we had to do it for years until production models became readily available. We typically had to hand draw what we wanted and then burn copies. Shooting VooDoo is a an excellent resource for precison rifle shooting topics and well worth the time to read his articles. Again thank you for taking time to post your project.

Danel </div></div>
I think you're right they are sold out. I updated the post to reflect a digi cam binder for $17.99...not nearly as good as the deal before, but still a decent deal. The binders are VERY nice and completely worth the price

Or you could buy it for a little more from a Hide sponsor and keep the small guy in business.

We offer a full line of over 400 pages that you guys can use in those binders or we also have binders that will work well with the pages you are printing out!

Check out the tools section for them.

Happy shooting!

www.impactdatabooks.com

Reactions: carbonbased

That is a awesome cheap way to make one! Been needing one..umm..several for a while but I'm a terrible procrastinator.

Ballistic,

Your data books look pretty good and thanks for the plug to my website, I'm glad that you could put many of the pages to use. Seeing my stuff crop up from time to time is a pretty cool feeling and reminds me why I renew the registration every year lol.

Danel,

Thanks for the kind words about the website also. We just had our first baby back in June so updating things and getting new articles up has been a slow process. I actually did just update two articles but the lap top it was on went tits up lastweek so I'm hoping they're still there when I get it back from Dell. Time will tell though.

Uhm....
Maybe this is a bit like swearing in church, but...

Does anyone know where I can get pages with metric "dimensions" rather than Imperial?
Seeing as I am from Norway, we use metric, and the whole inch, foot yard thing is just another great way for my brain to boil...
smile.gif

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skytteren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uhm....
Maybe this is a bit like swearing in church, but...

Does anyone know where I can get pages with metric "dimensions" rather than Imperial?
Seeing as I am from Norway, we use metric, and the whole inch, foot yard thing is just another great way for my brain to boil...
smile.gif

Thanks! </div></div>

I have no answer to your question, but I chuckled a little bit. Not at you, but the US (imperial) system in America. They have been threatening kids with the Metric system in grade school for over 30 years. I wish we would just cut the cord and go for it already. Canada is even worse, my in laws go from centimeters to inches to feet to meters.

Haha, yeah, I can see how that can be cofusing...
smile.gif

I might be wrong, but from what I've been told, the UK actually "officially" have the metric system impemented, but from my experience there, no one uses it...

Gave me a s***load of headaches when I was working over there...
Especially since I was there as a toolmaker and programmer for CNC machines...
shocked.gif

We have a 100% metric book that includes all the tables charts and formulas. It is at print and we should it back from the printers shortly after our arrival from shot show.

The book is listed on our site

Great!!

I'll take a look at it!
Hopefully it will have everything I need...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have a 100% metric book that includes all the tables charts and formulas. It is at print and we should it back from the printers shortly after our arrival from shot show.

The book is listed on our site </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">METRIC PREMADE STANDARD BOOK

This book measures 9-1/8" x 6-1/2".</div></div>

I though you said "100% metric"
grin.gif

I'm doing the EXACT same thing with a log book including the same binder (less the brass name plate). I got one of the $2.99 ones just before Christmas.

My intentions are to eventually get an impact/storm book, but I figured that since I was so new to this stuff that I'd make my own and see what pages I need. Once I determine exactly what I want/like in a log book, I'll buy refill pages from the pros.

This was a cheap and fun project that will give me a little practical experience since I don't really have any. The more I shoot and the more I use the log book, the more familiar I will be with what I like.

Guys,

A naive question: what paper puncher do you use to punch holes that fit Impact Data Book 6-hole binder format? Or Storm tactical 3-hole format?

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...What paper puncher do you use to punch holes that fit Impact Data Book 6-hole binder format? Or Storm tactical 3-hole format?

Thanks!</div></div>

Anybody?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...What paper puncher do you use to punch holes that fit Impact Data Book 6-hole binder format? Or Storm tactical 3-hole format?

Thanks!</div></div>

Anybody?</div></div>

An adjustable one.

@kewes, thank you! Just placed an order for one. Now I can inter-mix Impact Data pages with my own, using the Impact Data binder.

I googled it, because I couldn't find it on the franklin site anymore. I found it, and the site I was on directed me to it on the franklin site. I tried to order once before, and it let me fill out all the info but didn't take the order. This time it let me place the order, and gave me an order #. I'll check back in to update you on the order status.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdkidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just order the 17.99 digital version. That's what I ended up doing. They are on sale ... normaly 29.00. No matter what, couldn't find any for 2.99. </div></div>

http://m.franklinplanner.com/franklinpla...ryId=&path=

$2.99 each. </div></div>

Yep ..... all gone. The link doesn't even take you to the binder anymore. Even when it did, it was sold out and you couldn't order one. It took the company a little while to update thier site.

Anyway, the digital version is still on sale .... although not 2.99 .... but still cheaper than anywhere else.

I found this thread earlier. I really like the concept. I'm going to do something like this in my logbook. I'm going to use the metal sheet with magnetic dots in mine. The concept is so simple I can't believe I haven't seen it before.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3048469&gonew=1#UNREAD

I made one with the digital camo one for 17.99. Heres my front page;)
[img:center]
67690D2E.jpg
[/img]

Bear Calvary.... Yeah, your pretty much F---ed!

I just picked up a stick on white board sticker from Staples for 3.99 and some small fine point white board markers. Now I have a nice little white board for my log book.

ETA:

The digital version arrived today, and unfortunatley it has 7 rings instead of 3. So, punching holes becomes much more complicated. Now I have to try and track down a 7 hole punch. But, I do have to say that the binder itself is nicely made and good quality.

No dice Chino. The order was cancelled. I wasn't that surprised. I'll have to cruise around the web for a sweet deal, or get one from impact.

I am buying a cmmg in 308 and I have been looking for a log book also. but Since I am new I dont want to drop alot of money and it seems all the covers are sold out AGAIN!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

A naive question: what paper puncher do you use to punch holes that fit Impact Data Book 6-hole binder format? Or Storm tactical 3-hole format?

Thanks! </div></div>

I use a 2-hole punch that we use for files at work. I set the alignment bar so that the farther hole is in the center of the page. Then I simply punch the paper, flip the page over, and punch it again. The center hole on the page ends up getting punched twice, but it doesn't look sloppy if you have everything lined up.

I just went to Staples and bought a one hole punch. I took a piece of cardboard and punched out where the holes need to go. Then, I take 6-8 pages at a time and use the cardboard as a template to punch all the holes in the right places.

Cute... I got myself an adjustable punch. On the bad side - more expensive. On the good side - I can punch any 4-hole config I want at the same time.
smile.gif

Just thought I would put together some information for you do it your self book guys out there. I was there doing this back in the day as well, and that’s how I ended up creating Impact Data Books LOL.

Below you will find some products that we offer that will help you in your quest to make your own books. Hope this information helps you guys find some of the stuff you are after at one place.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Nylon Cover</span>http://www.impactdatabooks.com/Data_Book_Cover_Coyote_p/t-cover.htm

T-COVER-3.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Plastic Polycarbonate 3 or 6 ring Binder</span>http://www.impactdatabooks.com/Binder_p/t-binder.htm

T-BINDER-2.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Page Separators</span>
http://www.impactdatabooks.com/Page_Separators_p/ps.htm

PS-2.jpg

In addition all our standard size pages will fit the Franklin 3 ring binders so if you see some pages that we offer that will work for your shooting needs you can simply just order those pages and drop them into your current binder.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Custom Page Design</span>
Impact Data Books does custom page designs as well. If you have a page idea in mind and we don’t offer a page that works for your shooting needs you can contact us and we will work with you to get you that page.

Happy Shooting

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I recently bought a Modestone Snipers Logbook. Waterproof and weatherproof. it can survive floods and mud and insects and mold proof. You can use anything to write in the pages, even tip of bullet or a stick.
It's got good ammo log, pre calculated Mil table - up to 2400 Meters, distance estimation methods (graphics), wind calls, mirage (graphics), wind clock, wind flag reads, detailed target logs, ammo usage log, large graph azimuth log, observation log, blank notes and a pretty awesome multi function protractor that works with a string similarly to a mildot master but does way more in terms of geography and angle.
Modestone makes glow In the dark notepads handy for night thermal shooting too.
I have the snipers logbook and a notepad.
I bought mine through "Contact Left" on eBay.
heres their website:
1000003754.jpg

or if you want Modestone website:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I recently bought a Modestone Snipers Logbook. Waterproof and weatherproof. it can survive floods and mud and insects and mold proof. You can use anything to write in the pages, even tip of bullet or a stick.
It's got good ammo log, pre calculated Mil table - up to 2400 Meters, distance estimation methods (graphics), wind calls, mirage (graphics), wind clock, wind flag reads, detailed target logs, ammo usage log, large graph azimuth log, observation log, blank notes and a pretty awesome multi function protractor that works with a string similarly to a mildot master but does way more in terms of geography and angle.
Modestone makes glow In the dark notepads handy for night thermal shooting too.
I have the snipers logbook and a notepad.
I bought mine through "Contact Left" on eBay.
heres their website:
View attachment 8298548
or if you want Modestone website:
Glad you like the product!
I tried to compile the essential tools, tables and templates for a marksman and sniper and dwvelop a number of new features.
Originally I designed the book for the Finnish Sniper Guild and the Finnish Defence Forces (who I work for as a sniper instructor), but the book gained international intrest so I translated it into English and made it less metric. It still leans a little bit to metric units but they're just easier to use in 99% of cases.
If you have any questions or comments about the content, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZLONGRIDER