• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

DIY Shooting Sticks

turbo54

Mr. 7mm
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2010
Michigan
These weigh about nothing, deploy very fast, cost just slightly more than nothing to make, and work great.

Good job - I like homemaders that work just as well and better than what you can buy ready made. I have made the same with and old bycycle innertube and it works. Yours looks even better as it is adjustable. Mine is set at one height only.

I got the supplies (minus the paracord) at Meijer, which is the Michigan-equivalent of Walmart....maybe in between Walmart and Target, as Meijer is slightly higher class than Walmart, but not as high class as Target.

Anway, they're just wood dowels and rubber chair feet, which were conveniently directly across the aisle from the dowels.

UPDATE ON USE:

I've toted these around at three matches now; Reade, PTS and TVP. There was one place they *should have* been put to good use at Reade, no need for them at PTS, but I was able to make good use of them at TVP.

At Reade, we were required to take a shot at ~600 yards, but didn't have line of sight until we were up off the ground a ways. My sticks were too short, so after messing with them for a few seconds, I ended up having to take an offhand shot instead. That was a miss. The sticks should have been 6-10" longer. I'm going to make a new set a little longer.

At one stage of TVP, I deployed them on uneven ground (a slope) and had to fight with them because I hadn't practiced using them on uneven ground. The problem was I had all three sticks even with one another. I made due during the stage but afterwards played around with them to see what I'd done wrong. It would have been way way better if I had stuck one of the sticks out about 6" further than the other two.

They can also be used as a bipod, by holding two of the sticks together when deploying. Obvisouly not as stable, but quicker than deploying as a tripod, and much better than nothing.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info turbo54. I'll check my local walmart or a crafts store. I've been needing a set for quite some time. I just cant get good stability on the camera tripod setup I made. Glad to hear you have had some decent results with them in competition.

I found some 7/8 inch dowels at the local walmart along with the chair end caps. I am relatively novice when it comes to rope. Did you use a clove hitch on each individual dowel? I'm not very satisfied with how I have the sticks attached at this point. Do you have any suggestions?

That looks like a sweet way to lash a permanent tripod together, but I think my granny knot is actually superior for this application.

I tied the sticks rather loosely, so the paracord can slip up/down along the bundle easily to adjust height. The rubber feet provide a "flange" to prevent the cord from slipping off the ends of the bundle.

Once the legs are splayed, the cord is locked in place.

Hi John,

Wayde & I watched you struggle with those at TVP: I suggest you lose the third leg and incorporate a solid pivot pin.

Kinda like this: Varmint Al's Bi-Fur-Pod Page

Cheers & good shooting nonetheless,

Chris

Last edited:
I made a set of bi-pods like Varmint Al`s, but used round Oak or Ashe poles. I made a saddle that goes over the end of the top legs. Paid a saddle maker to sew the leather for me. Also used brass nut, washers and bolts.