• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dodge Hellcat future value???

cast1

Polyhobbyism sufferer
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
Found a Widebody Hellcat at sticker in my area. I have long thought that car will be worth a fortune someday. Would you guys think parking $80k in that vehicle is a bad idea? I like cars but it’s genuinely an investment. I’ve no interest in a corvette, which is more performance for same money.

What say y’all?

just about

1672508793774.png

while not a horrible car they are just too heavy and under powered get them closer to the camaro's weight and add 300 hp through twin turbo's and maybe a pro charger you might have something if they don't jack the price up ( which there is no way they would not ) just my opinion oh and stop with the European styling junk get back to , American made cars with American made parts and American designed .

Last edited:
Reactions: roostercogburn98
The demon or something with the helephant motor would probably be worth more one day. The Hellcat just isn’t that special I don’t think.

Think mustang and the regular cobra compared the cobra-r with only 300 made.

Has it been used to burn monkey circles in every intersection in town? The problem with used muscle cars is always condition. If it has two inches of rubber inside the fender wells, I'd pass.

The next problem is production numbers, they are made in large quantities, not like hemi cars of the late 60s. So the value is going to be in high condition cars with less abuse. I think they will hold value better and decrease far slower than other cars.

I am a bit concerned that leftists will start treating them like assault weapons and make it impossible to insure or register them as an offence to their beloved mother earth.

If you want it, buy it and drive it. They're worth way more as low mileage Sunday drivers than parked in a museum.

Guys did it with a few grand nationals and such. Sure, they were worth 3-5x what they paid 20 years later. They also needed every piece of rubber and every seal replaced. It all rots without use so you may as well drive it.

Reactions: Bender
It’s new. Not used.
It will likely be 30-40 years before it might be worth more than you bought it. If you can park 80 grand for 40 years and as a potential investment by all means though it will definitely depreciate first, you do you.

But in my personal opinion, in purchasing a car like as an investment, there’s a sweet spot maybe about 15 years old, where you can buy it used for probably a third of sticker than sit on it for another 15 years when it becomes a collector.

Its not a Ford Gt, Viper, Ferrari F-40... its a charger...

I wish in 2005 I had bought every $80 mosian and $200 Ak...

It's still a dodge, Chrysler or fiat, whatever you wanna call it. = Trash.
The unibody will most likely rot in 10-14 years.
Nothing will ever be desirable or worth as much as the 60s era vehicles.
Most likely a bad investment.

Not a good investment. Built way too many of these to expect any significant ROI.

Buy it if you want. But if you look at inflation, they are barely an investment. Plus the wall of inflation headed our way? If it’s not a strain on finances go for it. If you’re gunna buy minimum finance and 6 year term? Forget it.

Reactions: Jgunner
If you buy it, send it to a top-notch detailed to be 100% paint corrected, put a good cover on it then never drive it you may get some decent $$$ out of it in the future

If it was a McLaren or something rare then sure but a hellcat isnt likely Gonna be worth anything for a very long time. Maybe one day but there is way better ways to invest $80,000!

If it was a McLaren or something rare then sure but a hellcat isnt likely Gonna be worth anything for a very long time. Maybe one day but there is way better ways to invest $80,000!
Ok, where?

Bad investment. Common as dirt around here.
They’re common and “affordable” now, but if op is able to hold out for the time it takes it’ll pay off. Just like @SilentStalkr mentioned, fox body mustangs are getting ridiculous.

Exactly. Chargers and challengers could be had for less than $1k dollars during the gas crunch. Now not so much.

My uncle traded a burnt orange hemi challenger 4 speed for an AMC hornet lol.

I'd consider how many are likely to survive. I'd bet that a fair number of low mileage examples will be around in the future.

I'd also think about maintenance on the vehicle over the long run. It's not something you can shove in a corner and forget about it.

Side note, I haven't done the math but how many of those old collector cars have actually gone up in value relative to inflation? Aside from the stupidly rare ones.

Reactions: cas6969 and Bender
My thinkn, you have to have a place to keep ‘investment’ grade vehicles in a humidity, temperature controlled enviroment. That adds up pretty quik

Reactions: Lightning8
There is no modern day American car under 100k that is going to be a investment in the future. For a tangible asset to invest in would be machine guns. With 80k, I would throw it into the market since the markets are down right now. But then again it's not as cool and you don't get the play with it.

Reactions: Texascbr
Interesting question. I’d honestly say it depends a lot on green/EV legislation over the next decade. There may come a time when any existing large V8 sports car in driving condition sells for a premium.

Reactions: Bradu
I'd consider how many are likely to survive. I'd bet that a fair number of low mileage examples will be around in the future.

I'd also think about maintenance on the vehicle over the long run. It's not something you can shove in a corner and forget about it.

Side note, I haven't done the math but how many of those old collector cars have actually gone up in value relative to inflation? Aside from the stupidly rare ones.
About zero on domestic cars. Super rare Ferraris are the only thing that comes to mind.

Yeah it's not like a rare stamp in your safe or a painting on the wall, it's a F'ing car. :)
If you've got one of those Jay Leno sizes garages then maybe. Unless you love the hell out of it and baby it forever, you're more likely to grow tired of having it around before it gains any real value.

Who knows what it will be worth 30 years from now when you can't register it and it's illegal to start even if you could buy gasoline , figure your initial $80k vs the new valuation after 37% inflation..... ;)

Interesting question. I’d honestly say it depends a lot on green/EV legislation over the next decade. There may come a time when any existing large V8 sports car in driving condition sells for a premium.
Or is illegal if the nwo have their way

Enough land to shoot with a creek, river, pond, natural spring, etc if you don’t already own any would be my top priority. Idk where you’re from but $80k in the right area will buy some ground.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Enough land to shoot with a creek, river, pond, natural spring, etc if you don’t already own any would be my top priority. Idk where you’re from but $80k in the right area will buy some ground.
I have that.

Reactions: Jsp556
I know two guys personally in my area that bought red eyes with the intention of sitting on them as an "investment "

10 years from now all the fudds are going to be asking $250k for their pos dodges.

Fwiw judgment coming from a guy that drives a pos dodge.

My daughter has a 1-prior-owner '69 442 convertible that has minor paint defects, but it was garaged for all of it's prior life until she bought it about 6 years ago for her high-school graduation. The interior and convertible top are like-new. It is now worth 5x what she paid (she paid the going rate..)

She has it registered with Haverty's and local clubs, and is rented often for photo and video shoots, parades, weddings, etc. around GA. They drive (she, my ex or her brother). It's been in magazines, and was featured at the main entrance to the big "international" auto show here in town a few years ago and also shown at the (invitation-only) Concourse de Elegance - the Atlanta "Pebble Beach".

Now that's a smart auto investment, in my opinion.

I don't recall where, but I just read an article or maybe it was a sale add. Don't recall all the numbers exactly. But someone had an old Chevy pickup. 70s-80s era with basically no miles. I believe it sold for 42k. That was probably 6k new

The past three years have been highly abnormal, and it's starting to affect people's brains.

A 3rd-gen Camaro IROC-Z went for about $15k in the mid 1980s and can get $45-50k today in excellent condition. That's an average gross yearly ROI of about 3.5%, and doesn't take into any costs to maintain, license, and insure the vehicle. The returns are almost non-existent when inflation is considered. And the math looks even worse for something like a C4 Corvette from the same era, which now might return its original nominal sticker price at best.

If you're going to buy a car, do it for enjoyment today and not its value tomorrow.

About zero on domestic cars. Super rare Ferraris are the only thing that comes to mind.
Look at recent selling price for Boss 429 Mustangs, Hemi Cuda convertibles, Superbirds, and so on. Check "Bring A Trailer". Low mileage Fox body Mustang (a low production version) sold for over $100,000 last week. I get the daily email updates as I still have my 1970 Boss 302 from college in 1981.

Just got this from Hagerty (collector car insurance company)
Editor’s Note

In the past year we’ve seen assets of all kinds take a beating, from stocks and bonds to high-end watches. And you don’t need me to tell you how ugly things have gotten for crypto (although my colleague Eddy Eckart did just that earlier this month).

And yet, 2022 also saw the most expensive classic car ever sold publicly, the best-ever Monterey auctions, and record totals for online and in-person auctions—some $3.5B combined.

What makes collector cars different?

My theory: people like you. The typical Insider reader, per a recent survey, has been involved in classic cars for more than 20 years and primarily buys for enjoyment. Of course, speculators exist, and even veteran collectors can get red mist when the market is hot. But by and large, our market is run by and for people who love old cars and know a lot about them. That lends cars stability that other asset classes lack. Does that mean appreciation will continue forever? Obviously not. In fact, we see signs some segments have already slowed or reversed. In such a climate, it pays to know exactly what you’re buying and what the prevailing conditions are. That’s what we’re here for. We appreciate you reading Insider regularly and promise even more coverage of the classic car market going forward, no matter what 2023 brings.

Happy New Year,
David Zenlea
Managing Editor, Hagerty Insider

Buying a car to sit on it so maybe it’ll appreciate, but really just start leaking everywhere not driving is gay as fuck.
Wouldn’t intend to sit on it. Would drive and enjoy.

Look at recent selling price for Boss 429 Mustangs, Hemi Cuda convertibles, Superbirds, and so on. Check "Bring A Trailer". Low mileage Fox body Mustang (a low production version) sold for over $100,000 last week. I get the daily email updates as I still have my 1970 Boss 302 from college in 1981.
Yes real classics are a worthy investment imo. I had a 67 Firebird 400 (second owner) in 2007 that I stupidly sold so me and my new wife could do some stuff but I sold it for like $15,000, which was a good return since I had about $6500 in it. It was in nearly perfect shape. At any rate it was still stupid cause today I could sell for $50k-$70k easy and they are only getting more rare by the day.