• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ELR Gear: Choosing an ELR Spotting Scope

Rocketmandb

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2018
    Just put this video up on considerations for an ELR spotter. @BFuller and I went out to the hills and found this epic spot (2106 yards) - lots of technical off roading required. Another video is coming showing the trip and more shooting

wait. So this is basically a plug for the TRACT scope?

wait. So this is basically a plug for the TRACT scope?

Perhaps you didn't see the parts where I talk through considerations of what I looked for? Perhaps you missed the other scopes I considered, and why I didn't go with them? Perhaps you did not see the ricochet shot which exemplifies why clarity is king?

I ended up picking the Tract - yes. I also talk through why I picked it and why I like it. Not sure what else you're looking for. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

Just put this video up on considerations for an ELR spotter. @BFuller and I went out to the hills and found this epic spot (2106 yards) - lots of technical off roading required. Another video is coming showing the trip and more shooting

Hi Rocketmandb,

I really enjoyed the video, and I am looking forward to watching more! Have you ever thought about doing a reloading video series or your 300 PRC or 6bra, as I think they would be a hit.

BTW... i just received the Phoenix Precision Bipod, and I am looking forward to taking it out this month.

Hi Rocketmandb,

I really enjoyed the video, and I am looking forward to watching more! Have you ever thought about doing a reloading video series or your 300 PRC or 6bra, as I think they would be a hit.

BTW... i just received the Phoenix Precision Bipod, and I am looking forward to taking it out this month.

Thanks for the note. I'm going to be doing some on my 375 build. This is my first foray above .30 cal, so has been an interesting journey so far.

As to the BRA, @BFuller and I took another trip yesterday to the same hills where we were in this video. I didn't bring my 300, just the BRA - as I've said before, it's such an insane round/rifle. We shot it prone, off a tripod, and I tried a few shots sitting/bracing off my knee. We had sort of mediocre wind conditions (variable 8-12 @ 90 deg), but were able to get decent results hitting a 24" round plate at 1420 yards, a 20x12" plate at 975 yards (I even managed a hit on a 6" plate at the same - which was as much luck as anything with the wind), tripod at 450 and 750 on 10" round, sitting/supported on knee at 450. Such an easy rifle to shoot.

Then, even though we were in a known shooting spot with relatively benign roads getting to it, we had a little extra time at the end of the day and did a little exploring for more shooting spots. "Technical" would be one word to describe the "road" conditions. For the first time in a while, we actually turned around because the "road" was too hairy - well over 45 degrees down (probably closer to 60) strewn with boulders. @BFuller is a bad influence on me :)

I am definitely looking forward to hearing more about your 375 build/journey.

Also, some video of your “technical” adventures would be cool to see.

I’ve been wanting to ask you, but why did you choose the 6BRA over the 6BR?

I am definitely looking forward to hearing more about your 375 build/journey.

Also, some video of your “technical” adventures would be cool to see.

I’ve been wanting to ask you, but why did you choose the 6BRA over the 6BR?

My next video is likely going to be a basic intro into finding shooting spots. One of the most interesting things I've been introduced to more recently is that in areas where a lot of cattle are run, cow tracks can look like vehicle tracks. Where there's room, it seems that cattle will go down one track to go one way, and a separate track to come back - and the two tracks are just about as wide as most wheels on truck chassis, so they look like roads. I can't tell you how many times I've looked through binocs at these tracks and was sure they were a road - "there must be a way to get there!"

Those tend to lead to some of the more technical drives.

As for why I picked the BRA over the BR - it simply came down to getting those extra fps. Both are exceedingly consistent rounds. In my book, the main "negative" for a BRA is fire forming brass. Now Alpha makes BRA brass, but even before they did, the fire forming process for a BRA is a complete non event. Load light, jam if you want, shoot - and get 1/2 MOA while doing it. I essentially do the same for any new barrel of other calibers to get once-fired brass and break in the barrel.

I was observing shots this weekend out to 2600 this weekend with a Kowa 883 Prominar, leupold and bushy T.
    I was able to observe hits and call winds well with all three.
    I obviously loved the Kowa glass but kept going to my Bushy because of the reticle.
    When the light started fading late in the evening I moved back to the Kowa because that spotter kicks ass in lower light and making out hard to see impacts in shadows.

Reactions: bunsen27
    I’ve been using a Swaro STR-80... it works flawlessly. Impacts visible at 2 miles, clarity is ridiculous for a variable power lens. Huge advantage in being able to turn the reticle on/off.

Yes its a plug for tract. a scope company that does not sponsor any one. and has them built in japan and charges too much and does not pass any real savings to the consumer just lines their wallets. And wont give any discounts to ffl retail dealers not even sure why a company like this would even be at the shot show a venders trade show.

Last edited:
    Yes its a plug for tract. a scope company that does not sponsor any one. and has them built in japan and charges too much and does not pass any real savings to the consumer just lines their wallets. And wont give any discounts to ffl retail dealers not even sure why a company like this would even be at the shot show a venders trade show.

Lol, a "plug" infers that I'm somehow involved with them or got compensation. I'm not and did not. I have no involvement with them what so ever. I bought it on my own and state why I chose it and decided not to go with the others listed. Thanks for your comment none the less.

Rocketmandb i was wondering how dose this scope compares to other high end scopes like swarm 80mm or Kowa TNS 883? 88mm
    Im interested but im looking for something that will spot misses at 2100 yards.

Rocketmandb i was wondering how dose this scope compares to other high end scopes like swarm 80mm or Kowa TNS 883? 88mm

I haven't had a chance to compare side-by-side with high-end scopes, and I don't want to comment until I do so. What I will say is that I've taken it out twice now at longer ranges. Once at 2100 with my 300 and once at just under 1500 with my 6 BRA. I used the zoom eyepiece at 2100 and the reticle (30x) at 1500-.

Spotting was a non issue in either situation.

Hell
    My cheapo bushy legend T does a great job at spotting hits and misses at 2100.

If you want to spot butterfly’s and mice scurrying around rocks at 2100+ the 883 is pretty amazing.

Hell
    My cheapo bushy legend T does a great job at spotting hits and misses at 2100.

If you want to spot butterfly’s and mice scurrying around rocks at 2100+ the 883 is pretty amazing.
    Thank you for input. I did not have chance to use kowa 883 but i used Swaro atx 80mm my friend have one. Great glass but i just cannot justify to spend 4k.
    Waiting to see if somebody does comparing with Toric to some other high end glass.