• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

feedback on replacement stock for Ruger American

johnnyvw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2020
I have an older Gen 1 Ruger American in 556 that I am in the process of upgrading. I have a PVA 223 Wylde 24" barrel on order and am contemplating a better stock (I have heavily modified the original one, but thinking rather than go through the trouble of grinding out the fore-stock to clear the barrel why not start with something better?)
I am considering the MDT Field Stock, the MDT Oryx, and the KRG bravo. If anyone uses any of them that could give me solid "good/bad" aspects of any of them that would be much appreciated. And if you have more than one of them and can give me direct comparisons, even better.

Use will just be flat range shooting from a bench (most of the time) out to 600 yards. No hunting use, doubtfull I'll ever compete (but, never say never)

Thanks!

Edit: it not necessary to have a Ruger action mounted into the stock, but it'shelpful info to know if there are any particular issues if it is (like in post #2)

Last edited:
I have an older Gen 1 Ruger American in 556 that I am in the process of upgrading. I have a PVA 223 Wylde 24" barrel on order and am contemplating a better stock (I have heavily modified the original one, but thinking rather than go through the trouble of grinding out the fore-stock to clear the barrel why not start with something better?)
I am considering the MDT Field Stock, the MDT Oryx, and the KRG bravo. If anyone uses any of them that could give me solid "good/bad" aspects of any of them that would be much appreciated. And if you have more than one of them and can give me direct comparisons, even better.

Use will just be flat range shooting from a bench (most of the time) out to 600 yards. No hunting use, doubtfull I'll ever compete (but, never say never)

Thanks!
I have a krg bravo on my ruger that I rebarreled it into a 6 creedmoor. Overall I really like it when it comes to customization. I tried out a magpul stock first and I did not care for it that much. The only down side I had is finding a magazine that fed correctly and you didnt have to force to get it to latch.

Thanks for the feedback. What magazines did you find worked best?

Thanks for the feedback. What magazines did you find worked best?
I tried a magpul aics mag that I had first and I had to hit the bottom of the mag pretty hard to get it to latch. I bought a ruger aics and it was way worse and ending up buying a krg mag that works good, it rattled a lot so I put some electrical tape on the outside. I use the gun for hunting and I didn't want the noise.

Reactions: johnnyvw
I have a KRB Bravo for my Rem 700. I like it but manipulating the bolt is slower than a traditional hunting stock due to the pistol grip. I installed a Magpul on a customer's Ruger American 6.5 CM. They liked it a lot, the only complaint is it's much heavier than the factory stock.

Reactions: johnnyvw
I have a KRB Bravo for my Rem 700. I like it but manipulating the bolt is slower than a traditional hunting stock due to the pistol grip. I installed a Magpul on a customer's Ruger American 6.5 CM. They liked it a lot, the only complaint is it's much heavier than the factory stock.
The modifications I've done to the factory stock have probably added 7 or 8 lbs. LOL. Pretty much solid epoxy and two 1/4" steel rods in the fore-end....it's stiff!

We have one a Mossberg LR Tactical at the shop. It's nice although I think the length of pull one both the KRG and Magpul can be adjusted shorter. which is important if you want to shoot with a more modern rifle position. Mid chest verses in the shoulder pocket. I feel like the KRG Bravo is finished a little better. but I haven't shot one either.

Ruger American Gen1 6mm Creedmoor in a KRG Bravo. Built it as a hunting rifle, with the Mk3 HD weighs just over 8lbs. So far feeds 100% with the MDT mags.
IMG_4667.jpeg
IMG_4687.jpeg