• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First OCW test. Advice?

tacshooter223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2009
Destin, FL
Well today I loaded up 4 rounds for 7 different varget load weights.

Here's what I got.

Top left: 24.2
Bottom left: 24.4
Top right: 24.7
Bottom right:25.0
LoadTest.jpg

Top: 25.3
Bottom: 25.6
LoadTest2.jpg

LoadTest3.jpg

I started at 24.2, but I could have started lower. Should I just load up some 24.2s and test seating depth? Not sure where to go from here..

Forgot this if it helps.
Rifle is a savage 12 FLV .223
1-9 twist rate
The load is Varget under a 68 grain Hornady HPBT in R-P brass with 7 1/2 Remington (benchrest?) primers.

Thanks for any help,
TS223

Re: First OCW test. Advice?

To me, it looks like 24.4 through 25.0 are your scatter node.

If you have no pressure signs, you might want to survey the area between 25.2 and 25.6 for the accuracy node.

+1 mitch , IF your not seeing pressure signs

have you done a seating depth test ? sometimes it helps to do that first before you do a serious OCW/ladder test.

if you have not done a seating depth test , i might pick 24.4 , and do the test using that charge weight , see what happens.

I found a good node at 25.6g of Varget in my Savage 1x9 bolt with 69 Noslers using LC09 brass, Rem. 7.5 primer. Load shoots at 2,850 fps.

Ok thanks for the help guys! I'll do another test with some larger charges. I was completely ignoring the vertical spread, it was a windy day and vertical has nothing to do with my OCW. But what is the first pressure sign that usually arises with the varget? Flatted primers?

Thanks again guys
TS223

Just an update
loadtest2-1.jpg

I think I will check out the 25.3 (top left: bottom shot is the cold barrel) and the 25.6 (top right: I think I was pushing down to hard on the butt of the stock to create that top group). I'll go out sunday with a lock in rest to take me out of the equation and try those out.

If anyone else has any other suggestions feel free to throw them on here.

Thanks
TS223

My suggestions would be to download a better target so that you can shoot to the same POA consistently, and be sure you shoot the loads round robin fashion. Try to wait a couple of minutes between each shot. Also shoot two or three foulers to get where you want to be on the target and warm the barrel before proceeding with the OCW. Look forward to seeing your results.

Ok. I did not think to shoot these round robin.. will have to do that on sunday. Thanks seawalker.