• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors First (possibly only) centerfire suppressor?

RichS

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2001
PG County Maryland
Ok, so I'm looking at getting a budget-friendly suppressor to do double duty on my .308 rifles and 5.56 rifles (semis and ARs..two of them SBR). I figure this will probably be my only centerfire rifle can. I'm looking at the Resonator, Lahar, and the KGM R30. Thoughts?

resonator r2 has been fantastic for the money on everything from 5.56 to 7rem mag and everything in-between, pair it with the rearden atlas and its even better

Let us know what you prioritize in a suppressor as well as budget. Some people prioritize sound reduction and don’t mind gigantic cans like the TBAC dominus magnus I personally would never use it because of the size, but it’s great at suppression. Are you mainly using this for shooting at a bench, and size doesn’t really matter, etc?

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude
Given your other choices and wanting to switch it between calibers, consider the nomad 30 which is a great all around suppressor.

If I could have one can across semis and bolt guns it’d probably be a CGS Helios QD Ti or a tbac dominus. They’re both short and light but suppress very well on bolt and gas guns without being gassy. I like the Helios so much I bought a second one. I’m not sure what your barrel lengths are on the SBRs tho.

Reactions: cruiserweight
Let us know what you prioritize in a suppressor as well as budget. Some people prioritize sound reduction and don’t mind gigantic cans like the TBAC dominus. I personally would never use it because of the size, but it’s great at suppression. Are you mainly using this for shooting at a bench, and size doesn’t really matter, etc?

Are you thinking of the magnus? I wouldn’t consider the dominus gigantic by any means.

Reactions: jb0311
Are you thinking of the magnus? I wouldn’t consider the dominus gigantic by any means.
Yep, sure did thanks. The dominus is similar in dimensions to the nomad I mentioned so definitely meant to say the magnus. I’ll edit my post.

Reactions: Jnull
If you’re going with only one can to do everything 30 cal and smaller, throw budget out the window and get the best. Magnus SR or dominus SR. Find a 100% off cert for tbac and go that route.

If you’re going with only one can to do everything 30 cal and smaller, throw budget out the window and get the best. Magnus SR or dominus SR. Find a 100% off cert for tbac and go that route.

This right here.

SBRs are 10.5” and 11.5” 5.56

The dominus is good to a 10.3” 556 and the Helios QD Ti is 10” 556 according to tbacs and Capitol armory’s websites respectively. CGS’s site sucks for information on their products.

Rex silentium is another option to look at. You can customize your can for bore size, length, and end cap. Pretty reasonably priced as well. I have a thunder chicken that I got for 899 and am very happy with it. That being said I plan on making my next can a dominus then an r30k.

Reactions: YotaEer
Ok, so I'm looking at getting a budget-friendly suppressor to do double duty on my .308 rifles and 5.56 rifles (semis and ARs..two of them SBR). I figure this will probably be my only centerfire rifle can. I'm looking at the Resonator, Lahar, and the KGM R30. Thoughts?
Dead Air Nomad-30

Doesnt really make sense to go budget on a suppressor, I mean it is paid for long before you ever see it, go TBAC and never look back.

I decided on a Nomad-L as my first and only suppressor for all my rifles. I’ve bought 3 more since then.

It has been great, but I’d go with the regular size nomad-30 if you’re actually looking to do everything with one suppressor.

Reactions: FuhQ
For my first can I bought a TBAC Ultra 9. Awesome can. Mine is the Gen 1. The 2 are supposed to be a few decibels quieter. I use this on my precision guns. Obviously doesn’t fit your needs with the SBR’s. I run a Saker ASR on mine. Also have a Omega 36M as well.

The TBAC is still my favorite though. Good balance of suppression vs weight. Mine is direct thread which is nice for the precision guns. I’ve had issues with cans locking onto brakes.

I hope the newer TBAC are better for this. I know their CB or whatever the first QD cans were have many threads here of guys having them locked to their rifles brake. Some even giving up and just using the brake as a direct thread in the end

First, possibly only?

I said the same thing….5 cans ago
I said that 8 cans ago...When I bought my first 3 all at once just to "cover all my bases" for rimfire, rifle, and pistol... Now I'm up to 11 damn cans, and waiting on the next new thing to drop that "I can't live without". It might be more addicting than buying/building new rifles. 🤦🏼

OCL is great but their .30 Hydrogen isn't 10.5" rated. Being Ti I wouldn't run it on a short barrel AR unless it was a low round count.
They are testing a new prototype solid inconel .30 cal HD can for super duty rated use, that they're calling the "Infinity". So far, his IG posts are showing positive results. I'm sure I'll end up getting him to send me one (paid for of course, I don't get free stuff 😂) when he gets ready to drop some pre-production for T&R, or early first-run production cans, out to the masses.

Don't discount the Hydrogen cans. There are pretty damn tough. They're rated for down to an 11.5" 5.56... So 10.5" as long as he times his shots and keeps it under 800ºF, he should be fine. I wouldn't do any mag-dumping though. But the Hydrogen-S is a solid can and would make a great lightweight multi-use can for him. It's a phenomenal hunting suppressor, and one of the best .300 BLK subsonic cans I've used.

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 7.22.14 PM.png

@HansohnBrothers has 3 in stock...

Last edited:
Reactions: HansohnBrothers
For my first can I bought a TBAC Ultra 9. Awesome can. Mine is the Gen 1. The 2 are supposed to be a few decibels quieter. I use this on my precision guns. Obviously doesn’t fit your needs with the SBR’s. I run a Saker ASR on mine. Also have a Omega 36M as well.

The TBAC is still my favorite though. Good balance of suppression vs weight. Mine is direct thread which is nice for the precision guns. I’ve had issues with cans locking onto brakes.

I hope the newer TBAC are better for this. I know their CB or whatever the first QD cans were have many threads here of guys having them locked to their rifles brake. Some even giving up and just using the brake as a direct thread in the end
That's why I bought a HUB model Magnus. Plus, it allows me to run my solid titanium OCL ZR0-DTA mounts that only weigh 1.1 oz. and don't add more than 1/16" to the OAL of the can. 😉👍🏼

IMG_7825.jpegIMG_7828.jpegIMG_7829.jpegIMG_7832.jpegIMG_7833.jpeg

Last edited:
Read the thread and then went back to the top to see when you asked the question. If you’d already bought something, I didn’t want to waste my time.

I have over a dozen cans from many different manufacturers. Including most of the ones mentioned above. Don’t have any Otter Creek though

Honestly, if you think it might be your only can and money is a consideration; I’d look real hard at the Rex Silentium MG7. You can get whatever aperture you desire, so they can run in anything from .20-45. If your not going any bigger then the 308 rifle, but might want to put it on a 9mm pistol at some point then get the .358 aperture. This has a side benefit of helping out with the over-gassed issue of an sbr AR. I’ve spent a lot more on a can, but I haven’t been a lot happier with any.

The other ones I would recommend looking at is the user serviceable models from Griffin Armament. I have a Bushwhacker (not my favorite name) that can go on everything from my 45-70 to a 45 pistol to an AR and then be taken apart to clean. It comes with all the accessories needed to do that too. It’s also very quiet. Additionally you can rotate the baffles to even out the wear from the SBRs or even get a replacement if needed. If you don’t have any desire to use it on a .45, then they sell and 9mm and .30 version that are the same tech. I have the .30 also and it sounds great.

I have no affiliation with any company so I’m just recommending what I prefer and have seen work for me personally. If you have any questions, need more specifics or would like some pics, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Reactions: AMGtuned
They are testing a new prototype solid inconel .30 cal HD can for super duty rated use, that they're calling the "Infinity". So far, his IG posts are showing positive results. I'm sure I'll end up getting him to send me one (paid for of course, I don't get free stuff 😂) when he gets ready to drop some pre-production for T&R, or early first-run production cans, out to the masses.

Don't discount the Hydrogen cans. There are pretty damn tough. They're rated for down to an 11.5" 5.56... So 10.5" as long as he times his shots and keeps it under 800ºF, he should be fine. I wouldn't do any mag-dumping though. But the Hydrogen-S is a solid can and would make a great lightweight multi-use can for him. It's a phenomenal hunting suppressor, and one of the best .300 BLK subsonic cans I've used.

View attachment 8128198

@HansohnBrothers has 3 in stock...

Yeah I'm familiar with everything Andrew is doing, been following him for a long time, well before he was doing form 1 stuff. I'm glad he's prototyping it on the SCAR.

For the OP I would still probably be going Diligent Defense Enticers S or the LPM Anthem S. Anthem if it's going to be subjected to harsh firing schedules

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
I had similar objectives when buying a suppressor last year.

I wanted it to be equally at home on a precision bolt gun as it would be on an ar-15. This meant that it had to be precise, had to stand up to hard(ish) use, have low back pressure, and accept a mounting system that has suitable muzzle devices for both bolt guns and ar-15's. I also wanted it to be somewhat friendly on the budget. I wasn't too concerned about weight or dimensions, and I think dB ratings are over emphasized when it comes to suppressors.

I ended up with the Abel Co. Biscuit, and I'm very happy with this purchase. It does everything I want it to, and it excels on both platforms. Extremely well made and very durable. Great recoil impulse and low back pressure. Sounds great too, but at 5.5" in length it's not going to be as quite as a Nomad or Magnus.

The Rex cans look like a really good value. If you have the money, TBAC is always a good buy and the Dominus sounds like it would serve you well. Quite honestly, there's so many great suppressors these days that there are many that could achieve your objectives - all have their own nuances.

I had similar objectives when buying a suppressor last year.

I wanted it to be equally at home on a precision bolt gun as it would be on an ar-15. This meant that it had to be precise, had to stand up to hard(ish) use, have low back pressure, and accept a mounting system that has suitable muzzle devices for both bolt guns and ar-15's. I also wanted it to be somewhat friendly on the budget. I wasn't too concerned about weight or dimensions, and I think dB ratings are over emphasized when it comes to suppressors.

I ended up with the Abel Co. Biscuit, and I'm very happy with this purchase. It does everything I want it to, and it excels on both platforms. Extremely well made and very durable. Great recoil impulse and low back pressure. Sounds great too, but at 5.5" in length it's not going to be as quite as a Nomad or Magnus.

The Rex cans look like a really good value. If you have the money, TBAC is always a good buy and the Dominus sounds like it would serve you well. Quite honestly, there's so many great suppressors these days that there are many that could achieve your objectives - all have their own nuances.
...which is why this is such a hard choice lol. I've scrapped the Lahar off the list, as I've several complaints that they're "loud". My ARs have Dead Air Xeno FHs on them. As long as I get a can that's "hub" I can just pop on a Xeno adaptor and go with that, correct?

The MG7 looks pretty nice. As does the Enticer L. That being said, I'm starting to look harder at the Nomad 30.

Reactions: kthomas
I like my rex mg7 more than my sico omega. Sounds about the same to me but the rex is cheaper, lighter and shorter.

As others said, you’ll end up with more than one. So if cost is a concern, you can grab a couple rex cans for the price of one high end can.

...which is why this is such a hard choice lol. I've scrapped the Lahar off the list, as I've several complaints that they're "loud". My ARs have Dead Air Xeno FHs on them. As long as I get a can that's "hub" I can just pop on a Xeno adaptor and go with that, correct?

The MG7 looks pretty nice. As does the Enticer L. That being said, I'm starting to look harder at the Nomad 30.
You won't regret the nomad 30. It's one of the most popular all-around cans and was my first centerfire. I have other more "dedicated" suppressors now but I still shoot the nomad the most probably. As you can tell from the myriad suggestions on here, it's a good time to be in the suppressor market. I personally would go through either HansohnBrothers or Capitol Armory for vendors but i've also used Silencer Shop with no issues.

That's correct. Just put a Xeno adapter on the back of the suppressor and you are GTG.

Compare the Nomad 30 to the Enticer line. It's either 30% heavier, doesn't meter as well, and is more expensive. I think the Nomad 30 looked a lot better two years ago. The only thing you're getting with the Nomad is a full auto rating which probably somewhere around 90% of the customer base that buys them as zero need for.

The Enticer line certainly looks appealing if you are looking at products like the Nomad 30. As you point out, on paper they seem to outperform the Nomad at a much better price.

Bonus is that they look like they manufacture their own suppressors, which should be a benefit to the customer for QA/QC and warranty claims.

I noticed you made sure not to post the graph with the Otter Creek Hydro-L in it... Yall joke on me about the OCL cans, but yall are trying to pimp these DD cans hard... 😉

back_pressure_suppression_plot_6.81_wm.png

Reactions: fmillik
I noticed you made sure not to post the graph with the Otter Creek Hydro-L in it... Yall joke on me about the OCL cans, but yall are trying to pimp these DD cans hard... 😉

View attachment 8129736

Maybe because it perfectly suits the op's ask.

Hydrogen is a titanium can not rated for one of his hosts. The Hydrogen series is great, the enticer series is also great. Andrew, Diligent and Liberty dudes are all great friends. They all make good stuff.

OP wanted a great budget .30 can. I cannot think of a better option than the Enticer S. It has great suppression, it's only $500, 6.75", has removable end caps with 5.56, 6.5 and 7.62 options and hub mount. Enticer S, tax stamp and Rearden mount W/ muzzle device = the same price of just the Hydrogen S ($850).

Other than weight, does Ti effect performance? I see on the chart that they're testing the Ti ones.

It should not, I'd expect the same performance from steel but with more durability.

Last edited:
Other than weight, does Ti effect performance? I see on the chart that they're testing the Ti ones.
If the Ti can is built right, then it won't, provided you keep it under 800ºF.

The TBAC Dominus has passed SURGE cycles, and the Otter Creek Hydrogen cans are full-auto rated up to 800ºF (provided you follow the barrel length restrictions).

I don’t think that materials matter to much to the meters, but to my ear and most of the approaching middle age people that I shoot with; there is a difference in tone between a 17-4 can and a Ti can. The Ti seems to have a higher pitch, where the steel is a bit more mellow. That being said, I’ve never heard a Dominus or a OC Hydrogen. But I’ve heard a ton of Ultra series as well as Nomad Ti and a host of other lesser known models. I would say it’s pretty noticeable. It’s also pretty noticeable that an U7 weighs 40% less than some of my steel cans. Trade offs in life I guess.

I don’t think that materials matter to much to the meters, but to my ear and most of the approaching middle age people that I shoot with; there is a difference in tone between a 17-4 can and a Ti can. The Ti seems to have a higher pitch, where the steel is a bit more mellow. That being said, I’ve never heard a Dominus or a OC Hydrogen. But I’ve heard a ton of Ultra series as well as Nomad Ti and a host of other lesser known models. I would say it’s pretty noticeable. It’s also pretty noticeable that an U7 weighs 40% less than some of my steel cans. Trade offs in life I guess.
There is a tone-pitch difference in materials used. I have noticed the same. But as far as muzzle DB volume, there should be zero difference in 2 identical cans made from different materials.

To me, 17-4 and inconel cans have a deeper "chunky" sound, and Ti cans have a higher-pitched "whoosh" sound.

So, I think I have it narrowed down to....

Nomad 30, AB Raptor 8, Enticer L, or Rex Silentium. Rex is having a 33% 4th of July sale, so that's really tempting.

So, I think I have it narrowed down to....

Nomad 30, AB Raptor 8, Enticer L, or Rex Silentium. Rex is having a 33% 4th of July sale, so that's really tempting.
For what it's worth, Abel is also having a sale of 17.76% off - the Biscuit fits your criteria well.

Rex at 33% off is a hell of a bargain. That would be hard to pass up. Though their site isn't working for me right now (must be getting a lot of traffic).

I would have a hard time buying anything DA right now, given how much of a shit show their QA/QC and CS is at the moment. Though I haven't heard about too many issues with the Nomad.

I haven't heard much about AB. And the Enticer series looks nice.

One thing to keep in mind: if this suppressor will also be used for precision rifles, the suppressor itself (along with the mounting system), must not negatively effect the precision of the system. Not all suppressors are made equal, and some have lots of runout.

Not really into PRS type stuff (no range here in MD), but I do have a 16" Howa .308.

So I went to Rex and did a "Custom" 6 baffle with threaded endcap. Comes to $502

Reactions: kthomas
Not really into PRS type stuff (no range here in MD), but I do have a 16" Howa .308.

So I went to Rex and did a "Custom" 6 baffle with threaded endcap. Comes to $502

Gotcha.

That can should serve you well!

I know @reubenski really likes his Rex cans, and I would trust his opinion.