• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

First Precision Bolt Gun: Bergara B14 HMR vs Tikka T3X Lite

Bergara B14 HMR vs Tikka T3X

• Bergara B14 HMR

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Tikka T3X

Votes: 26 81.3%

• Total voters

Deadsquiggles

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2023
Chesapeake, VA
So I’ve decided to get I want to give precision shooting with a bolt gun a try but I was hoping for some input.

I’ve narrowed it down to either a Tikka T3x Lite or Bergara B14 HMR. Those seem to be my best bet, especially based on availability being left handed.

I haven’t settled on a caliber although I’m leaning towards 6.5 Creedmoor., but .308 isn’t completely ruled out. I’m not sold on either one and not invested in either one outside of having half a case of M80 for my M1A. I know most say 6.5 is easier to shoot well but .308 will keep you honest and make you a better shooter. But I don’t really have any ranges longer than 300yards near me which has me leaning .308. But I can find longer ranges if I drive further.

As far as the rifles, I don’t have any intention of throwing it in a chassis, at least not right away, but I know being a lefty, there’s more options for the B14 being R700 based, ie KRG.

I like that the B14 takes AICS magazines as it is where the T3x needs new bottom metal. But the Tikka can take prefit barrels which would nice if I were to decide to change calibers for any reason. I also like the more vertical grip on the stock of the B14. But both seem to have great aftermarket support for a lefty.

I think the Bergara comes with a threaded barrel factory and the particular Tikka I was looking at doesn’t which obviously makes adding a muzzle device easier since I plan on eventually suppressing the rifle.

I see more people praising the reduced bolt throw (60° iirc) and smoothness of the Tikka action compared to the Bergara action (90°)

I’m planning on around $1k for just the rifle, then save up a bit for a scope and rings. Hopefully purchasing in the next month or so.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, if it seems long winded and rambling, the bolt gun world is new for me. Tell me what that pushed you to the T3x or B14 or anything that went into your decision. Also, I feel it’s probably worth mentioning I don’t reload.

Reactions: The D
Full disclosure: I’m in the same boat as you but I’ve been here for a few years already reading(and being an asshole in the pit). As such, you should wait until the more experienced voices come along with their opinions.

You’re probably going to get more recommendations for the Tikka. They may not be as polished as the Bergara but not by much. This will probably be reflected in a price difference but I haven’t checked either specifically. The aftermarket for Tikka obviously isn’t as big as the 700 market but there are still plenty of options. The biggest problem you’ll find won’t be the 700/Tikka difference, it’ll be because you’re a mutant lefty(I kid, I kid😁).

One of the bigger differences will be in barrels if you decide you want to shoot a different cartridge. Tikka’s can be re-barreled with a pre-fit, by you, in your garage. Bergara’s have a coned bolt face which makes it a bit harder.

Choosing .308 won’t be a problem in the beginning but you’ll need to move on to a better ammo than M80. There are good ammo choices but the ultimate will be stepping up to rolling your own.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Full disclosure: I’m in the same boat as you but I’ve been here for a few years already reading(and being an asshole in the pit). As such, you should wait until the more experienced voices come along with their opinions.

You’re probably going to get more recommendations for the Tikka. They may not be as polished as the Bergara but not by much. This will probably be reflected in a price difference but I haven’t checked either specifically. The aftermarket for Tikka obviously isn’t as big as the 700 market but there are still plenty of options. The biggest problem you’ll find won’t be the 700/Tikka difference, it’ll be because you’re a mutant lefty(I kid, I kid😁).

One of the bigger differences will be in barrels if you decide you want to shoot a different cartridge. Tikka’s can be re-barreled with a pre-fit, by you, in your garage. Bergara’s have a coned bolt face which makes it a bit harder.

Choosing .308 won’t be a problem in the beginning but you’ll need to move on to a better ammo than M80. There are good ammo choices but the ultimate will be stepping up to rolling your own.
Oh yeah, I have no illusions of M80 being precision. I know I’m gonna have to buy match ammo for either caliber. And with prices being just about the same, it’s basically a moot point.

I'd say Tikka. Bergara has a great selection of models and options, but their qc and accuracy has been a crapshoot. I haven't heard of a Tikka yet that didn't shoot.

Any reason you're wanting the Lite model? Tikka has a few models that are threaded, but they're hbar.
As far as aftermarket, Bergara/700 footprint has more, but Tikka aftermarket has everything you'd need anyhow. I'd definitely take the prefit ability of them as well.

As far as 308 Vs 6.5,,,,
There's really no reason to go 308 at this point. Maybe if it was exclusively a hunting rifle under 300yds.

Mostly irrelevant. Don't dwell on the details too much. Paralysis from analysis and all that. If this is your first bolt gun, just get close to what you THINK you want, and start shooting. If you stay with the sport, you're going to change damn near everything anyhow. Hindsight, I'd rather have had a gun that was 50% of what I wanted today, than the "grail gun" 8 months from now, since that goalpost is in perpetual motion.

I'd say Tikka. Bergara has a great selection of models and options, but their qc and accuracy has been a crapshoot. I haven't heard of a Tikka yet that didn't shoot.

Any reason you're wanting the Lite model? Tikka has a few models that are threaded, but they're hbar.
As far as aftermarket, Bergara/700 footprint has more, but Tikka aftermarket has everything you'd need anyhow. I'd definitely take the prefit ability of them as well.

As far as 308 Vs 6.5,,,,
There's really no reason to go 308 at this point. Maybe if it was exclusively a hunting rifle under 300yds.

Mostly irrelevant. Don't dwell on the details too much. Paralysis from analysis and all that. If this is your first bolt gun, just get close to what you THINK you want, and start shooting. If you stay with the sport, you're going to change damn near everything anyhow. Hindsight, I'd rather have had a gun that was 50% of what I wanted today, than the "grail gun" 8 months from now, since that goalpost is in perpetual motion.

As far as 308 Vs 6.5,,,,

As far as the Lite model, it’s an availability thing. Trying to find one of the other Tikkas in LH and 6.5 Creedmoor seems to be pointless. I can find B14 HMRs and the T3X Lite 6.5 easily, other Tikka models, not so much.

I do like the ability to use prefit barrels with the Tikkas. And yeah, you’re probably right there’s no point in going 308 since this won’t be a hunting rifle, and I do plan on eventually going further than 300 yards.

Edit: Not sure why it quoted you twice.

I have a friend with a Begara HMR in 6.5 he's had a few issues with it mostly pertaining the bolt metal being soft or something like that. Its been addressed and the gun looks great but it only shoots just ok.

I have three Tikka centerfires and two rimfires. All of them shoot very well. Two of the centerfire are T3X lite. A compact 243 for the wife and a 7mm-08 for me. Both shoot sub MOA which is better than necessary for deer guns. The third is my T3X 223 Varmint that I bought in 2017 or 2018. That gun other than a trigger spring is completely stock. It'll shoot sub MOA, sometimes better than half MOA with box ammo.

I recently moved where I can shoot probably 800 yards off my back deck so I bought another Varmint in 6.5 CM. I just got the gun and I can't say anything but if it shoots as well as my other Tikkas it'll shoot great.

I chose the Varmint over the CTR because it had a heavier 24" barrel and cheaper magazines. The CTR is threaded and has ten round magazines. Neither are important to me. The Varmint cost me $902 new on GB. I will start with plates around the yard and maybe try stretching it out more if it becomes an interest. I mostly bought it for coyotes that often appear beyond 400 yards. Get the Tikka.

Attachments

• 20240417_134435.jpg
    20240417_134435.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240408_194233.jpg
    20240408_194233.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240408_193657.jpg
    20240408_193657.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 25
Tikka over the bergara, I have both, but you should get a heavier barrel on the tikka, CTR or varmint. 300 yards get a .223, otherwise the 6.5, more options for good ammo with the 6.5

Sounds like it comes down to if you can live without a threaded barrel.

That be the case, grab the Tikka, and snipe whatever barrel when it goes on sale. PVA barrels keep having good deals pop up.

Yeah I think after the responses so far, a T3X in 6.5 seems to be the best bet. Hadn’t considered the CTR or Varmint so off to google to poke around and see who might have a left handed on in stock.

Firstly, neither rifle is considered a "precision" rifle. I have two Tikka's. Both shoot very well, but neither shoot as well as my Barnard with Krieger barrel.

Between the two models you mentioned, the Tikka is the clear choice. Yes, Tikka does not have the wide variety of aftermarket mods as other makes, but what you cannot find, you don't need anyway.

Finally, unless you want to shoot only 3 shots every 5 minutes, rather get the Varmint or Supervarmint model. The thicker barrels allow you to shoot longer strings before heat affect the barrel. Barrels will last longer.

Firstly, neither rifle is considered a "precision" rifle. I have two Tikka's. Both shoot very well, but neither shoot as well as my Barnard with Krieger barrel.

Between the two models you mentioned, the Tikka is the clear choice. Yes, Tikka does not have the wide variety of aftermarket mods as other makes, but what you cannot find, you don't need anyway.

Finally, unless you want to shoot only 3 shots every 5 minutes, rather get the Varmint or Supervarmint model. The thicker barrels allow you to shoot longer strings before heat affect the barrel. Barrels will last longer.
I mean I wouldn’t expect a $1k rifle to shoot as well as a ~$3k custom build. But the agreement seems to be it shoots more than well enough and can be upgraded easily. And I’ll definitely check into the Varmint or CTR rifles.

Here is some info to help with Tikkas.

My Tikka. T3x lite ss 6.5 creed. Krg whiskey 3 left hand converted (isn't hard to do yourself). Muzzle threaded 9/16 by Thunderbeast with a face mount brake.
20220705_222415.jpg

If you have further left hand Tikka questions just ask.

(Thought I posted this yesterday)

Left handed options in heavier calibers aren't really imported except for these listed. Limited it to 6.5 and 308. There are no imported stainless heavy barrel options in lefty. Hence my lite.
Jrtxc482 for a lefty 6.5 ctr (not showing 308), jrtac416l 308 a1, jrtac482l 6.5 a1, jrtat482l brown 6.5a1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Milf Dots
Cant address tne Tika but I bought a Bergara 7PRC and hit a mile first outing. Quality seems very good,

Got my new 6.5 Varmint sorta sighted in at 100 yards with a less than perfect set up. These groups were shot after a 5 round zero. They were shot left to right with 120 grain American Eagle. Gun heats up a lot quicker than my 223 Varmint. You'll want a heavy barrel on yours. So far mine looks promising.

Oh the red dot are 3/4".

Attachments

• 20240424_164822.jpg
    20240424_164822.jpg
    926.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240424_164437.jpg
    20240424_164437.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 26
Here is some info to help with Tikkas.

My Tikka. T3x lite ss 6.5 creed. Krg whiskey 3 left hand converted (isn't hard to do yourself). Muzzle threaded 9/16 by Thunderbeast with a face mount brake.
View attachment 8403807

If you have further left hand Tikka questions just ask.

(Thought I posted this yesterday)

Left handed options in heavier calibers aren't really imported except for these listed. Limited it to 6.5 and 308. There are no imported stainless heavy barrel options in lefty. Hence my lite.
Jrtxc482 for a lefty 6.5 ctr (not showing 308), jrtac416l 308 a1, jrtac482l 6.5 a1, jrtat482l brown 6.5a1.
First off, that’s gorgeous and I’ll probably hit you up about modifying a chassis whenever I go that route. And yeah, I’ve noticed it’s tough/impossible to find any stainless heavy barreled LH options. Closest has been a CTR, but it’s not stainless and I can’t find the 24” in LH anywhere, just 20”. I’ll probably end up starting with a stainless 24” lite for the same reason as you. Or just go with the blued 24” and plan on a barrel swap.
Got my new 6.5 Varmint sorta sighted in at 100 yards with a less than perfect set up. These groups were shot after a 5 round zero. They were shot left to right with 120 grain American Eagle. Gun heats up a lot quicker than my 223 Varmint. You'll want a heavy barrel on yours. So far mine looks promising.

Oh the red dot are 3/4".
I wish I could find a varmint anywhere. Pretty non-existent for LH models it seems.

I'm sure you know this already but if you rebarrel your lefthand lite, the stock won't fit without a lot of barrel channel grinding. I don't mind the factory stocks but that's a lot of work to use one. It almost necessitates buying another stock or chassis. At that point you'll almost be buying the whole rifle for a left hand action.

Just a thought. Maybe get a lefthand CTR, use it with the 20" to cut your teeth and rebarrel that to a 24" if you still want to later.

FWIW my wife with her 20" heavybarreled 223 Howa 1500 out shoots my Varmint and 3/4 of the guys at the 200 yard range all the time. She doesn't miss the lost velocity at all. Some people will even argue shorter barrels have less whip making them more accurate.

So I’ve decided to get I want to give precision shooting with a bolt gun a try but I was hoping for some input.

I’ve narrowed it down to either a Tikka T3x Lite or Bergara B14 HMR. Those seem to be my best bet, especially based on availability being left handed.

I haven’t settled on a caliber although I’m leaning towards 6.5 Creedmoor., but .308 isn’t completely ruled out. I’m not sold on either one and not invested in either one outside of having half a case of M80 for my M1A. I know most say 6.5 is easier to shoot well but .308 will keep you honest and make you a better shooter. But I don’t really have any ranges longer than 300yards near me which has me leaning .308. But I can find longer ranges if I drive further.

As far as the rifles, I don’t have any intention of throwing it in a chassis, at least not right away, but I know being a lefty, there’s more options for the B14 being R700 based, ie KRG.

I like that the B14 takes AICS magazines as it is where the T3x needs new bottom metal. But the Tikka can take prefit barrels which would nice if I were to decide to change calibers for any reason. I also like the more vertical grip on the stock of the B14. But both seem to have great aftermarket support for a lefty.

I think the Bergara comes with a threaded barrel factory and the particular Tikka I was looking at doesn’t which obviously makes adding a muzzle device easier since I plan on eventually suppressing the rifle.

I see more people praising the reduced bolt throw (60° iirc) and smoothness of the Tikka action compared to the Bergara action (90°)

I’m planning on around $1k for just the rifle, then save up a bit for a scope and rings. Hopefully purchasing in the next month or so.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, if it seems long winded and rambling, the bolt gun world is new for me. Tell me what that pushed you to the T3x or B14 or anything that went into your decision. Also, I feel it’s probably worth mentioning I don’t reload.
Forget the factory rifles…Start with a much better action and chassis than the Bergara and the Tikka…

• Haha
Reactions: tacoman69
Wants to spend " around $1K " for the rifle. I guess a lot depends on the definition of " around "(?). How far can one get beyond factory rifles at a $1K price point?
You can’t even find a factory rifle that’s going to be that capable for $1,000 without having to drop another $1,000 in upgrades to it. So by that time you’re already at $2k…Or more.

Reread OPs second paragraph. LEFT handed.
I know plenty of lefties that prefer to shoot right-handed rifles because they never have to remove their cheek weld and left (trigger) hand off the stock, and can manipulate the bolt faster with their right hand…

Reactions: RMS65
I know plenty of lefties that prefer to shoot right-handed rifles because they never have to remove their cheek weld and left (trigger) hand off the stock, and can manipulate the bolt faster with their right hand…
So how many left handed actions do you own as a righty as your primary/ first gun if you can run it faster?

Be honest. Would you have bought a lefty as your first bolt gun?

Here is some good responses.
Hey @Primus, how many LH actions do you own? This conversation is so funny, because it only happens in one direction. The RH shooters never talk about the merits of the LH bolt action, only leftys shooting right-hand.

It’s a large disadvantage. Almost or actually hitting yourself in the nose while cycling the bolt, doesn’t exactly help establish cheek weld discipline.

How about that thumb on the improvised “support” hand? You know the one on the stock’s wrist as you support your rifle, yeah that one is right in the bolts pathway. I still have a scar from the time I carried a RH Weatherby Mark V on a PA whitetail hunt.

Or how about all those firing side muscles you’re tensing and contracting to pull the maneuver off? Yeah, those are the exact muscles that all those precision shooting instructors are trying to get you to totally relax as part of your recoil management and follow-through training.

We don’t even need to talk about the “benefits” of having your eyes protected by the port instead of steel... It’s full of real disadvantages (chuckle).

Is it impossible? Not at all, but neither is using your feet.

Can a talented rifleman nearly completely close the gap on a less talented shooter using better equipment? Yes, but no one is going to be that much more talented than the rest of the best. At some point it will prevent you from doing your best.

If my rifle were issued to me, would I rework my software to utilize my hardware? Without question or complaint.

Would I BUY myself a RH rifle? Never have, never will.

Do I think it can, in certain forms of shooting, be acceptable, or even beneficial? Yes, I also think that in those disciplines it’s best to not touch your rifle. If you’re into that, get a RH bolt and drive on.

It’s your money, do what you want. You’ll surely find other leftys that have adapted. But take note of how very very few leftys started with LH bolt guns, only to later discover the advantages of RH bolts and make the change. Hint: It’s the same as the number of RH shooters rocking LH bolts.

I have several examples of rifles that have had catastrophic pressure spikes. Barrels launched down range, front receiver ring in 3 pieces, front receiver ring enlarged, stock shattered, etc. Everyone walked away essentially unscathed. The reason. They were not looking into the loading port. I have a few target rifles with dual ports. They will be my last.

Given a choice I would never ever use a rifle where I was looking into the loading port at the ass end of bomb.

More eloquently said than I did on post #19...

I have seen this happen firsthand to a LH shooter firing a RH bolt gun. We had to take him to the hospital. The safety glasses he was wearing got blown off his face. 4 hours of surgery to his eye. His eye had to be removed from his skull to get the fragments out. Thankfully, he recovered his sight in that eye but for 6 months, no one knew what the outcome would be.

Needless to say, he shoots a LH action now.

So how many left handed actions do you own as a righty as your primary/ first gun if you can run it faster?

Be honest. Would you have bought a lefty as your first bolt gun?

Here is some good responses.
You really think that’s the norm? 😂

Not arguing with you, but right or left handed, if a large enough CF happens, you got a good chance of getting maimed or fucked up, regardless of which direction the bolt handle faces. Just saying…

You really think that’s the norm? 😂

Not arguing with you, but right or left handed, if a large enough CF happens, you got a good chance of getting maimed or fucked up, regardless of which direction the bolt handle faces. Just saying…
The gas ports on the loading port expel gas at an angle not directly to the rear so you are MUCH more susceptible to getting not only gas but fragments into your eye when you're doing what you're proposing; but by all means carry on

Reactions: LeftyJason
The gas ports on the loading port expel gas at an angle not directly to the rear so you are MUCH more susceptible to getting not only gas but fragments into your eye when you're doing what you're proposing; but by all means carry on
The Solus has gas ports on BOTH sides, and they are directed forward… But since he wants a lefty, that’s irrelevant to the OP’s question, just pointing that fact out.

Of the two choices, I’d go Tikka. However, I’d consider the CTR instead of the T3x lite. Threaded muzzle, good mags, and if going with a KRG bravo, AICS mags will work as well.

It’s really seeming like my best option is a CTR in 6.5. I know the “best” opinion is to build on a custom action. However, while I’m not trying to be cheap, I’m trying to get the most bang for my buck starting out. A $800 action, $500-$800 barrel, and $300-$500 chassis just to give it a shot doesn’t seem like money well spent in the beginning. Which led to looking at the “around $1k” (roughly $800-$1300 range) rifles. I know tikkas have a pretty good reputation for accuracy out the box and being pretty upgradable and I’ve seen similar opinions of the bergara (but also more negative reviews about the bergara compared to the tikka) which is what led to those to being my most considered options.

I think after everyone’s posts, thoughts, opinions, and further reading on my part, I’m gonna pick up a LH CTR and upgrade it as necessary. Thanks everyone.

I started with a Tikka CTR in 6.5. Just getting a feel for longer range shooting and bolt guns. While I’ve upgraded the glass, put it in a KRG Bravo, and swapped the barrel to a PVA prefit, I don’t regret my decision.

Many would say, I could have a full custom for the combined money I have in it. I don’t mind. I still got into it with a lower starting cost, was actually shooting sooner and had fun seeing the transition.

Get what you want, upgrade if you want, and enjoy it.