• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First round getting "stuck" while loading...

Nomad0001

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2012
Greenville, SC
It's probably my fault but...

I have a factory (un-modified) Remington 700 5R Mil spec 308. Love the gun. Accurate, great value, etc. If I put more than 1 round in the magazine, when I close the action the round gets all sideways and refuses to go into the chamber. If I put 2 rounds in it, the first one won't go but the next one will. The kicker is, if I put in 4 rounds and push them down enough to close the action (with or without manually feeding a 5th round) the remaining 4 rounds feed with absolutely no problem 100% of the time. (I use FGMM ammo. I don't reload) I bought the rifle new. It has always done this.

What could be causing this?

Last edited:
I get to answer my own thread! This problem was getting progressively worse. I was upgrading the scope on this rifle, and I happened to check the action screws. The back one was about to fall out. Tightened it to spec. Feeding problem gone.

Weird thing is if you google this problem, you'll get many hits that the spring in the internal magazine is the problem. Nobody suggests to check torque of the action bolts. Go figure.