• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

First Time Tactical Rifle competitor needs help

hank440

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2009
Gambrills. MD
Hi Guys,

I have shot IPSC/IDPA for several years but never a rifle match. Can you tell me what type of shooting is done in these matches like prone, sitting ,offhand. What equipment I will need. Type of practice, type of targets etc.. just any and all info you can give on these type of matches

Thanks for any help and guidance you can provide

Hank

Re: First Time Tactical Rifle competitor needs help

Hank,

Matches vary quite a bit depending on where it's hosted and how the range facility is laid out, and equipped. Some can be fairly static, others you will cover some ground with your equipment. Some are team oriented, some individual.

Some fairly common themes are:

Engaging known or unknown distance steel targets at ranges out to around 1000 yards.

Uphill/downhill angles.

Moving targets.

Multiple target engagements.

Low light engagements.

Gear requirements can vary too, here's some fairly universal items:

Match grade ammo

Tactical scope with enough el travel or reticle to correct out to 1000 yards.

Bipod. I like 9-13 for off-road conditions.

Rear support. Beanbag or monopod are pretty common, some folks prefer to use their fist.

Decent pack or vest to carry your stuff.

Laser Rangefinder is nice to have.

Mildot Master is a nice aid to range estimation where LRF not allowed.

Life Support stuff (clothing, food, water) per the locale. I like a full brim hat, sunscreen, bug juice, light gloves, decent boots as a minimum.

Elbow/knee pads. Some like to carry a full shooting mat.

A spotting scope/tripod is nice sometimes, but more to carry.

I'm sure others will have more to add.

My junk staged in prep for a field match,
Img_5751.jpg

Shane, nice post!

Hank, think about when you started shooting IPSC - you didn't need everything you have now, or even perfect gear, just enough to get you started.

You will need a bolt action rifle capable of 1 MOA, and a scope with mechanical adjustments and a reticle that subtends in Mils or MOA. A Bi-pod is handy, as is a rear bag. Add to that a calculator and a (waterproof) dope sheet for your load made on a simple ballistics program. Put your spare ammo and the rear rest in a backpack with your ear muffs, a bottle of water, a poncho or rain jacket, and a fleece for warmth.

Then don't forget to pay the entry fee and Mapquest the match location.

Thanks for the replies guys

this is what I have now Savage 10 FCP McMillan .308, 2 cases of match .308 ammo, Bushnell 1500 rangefinder, mildot master,i have a calculator and a baliistic program

any suggestions as to the type of scope for a beginner ? and which harris bipod to get ?

what are the type, size of targets ? what would be the smallest target at the longest range that I would have to hit ?

Thanks again

The Harris swivel/notched-leg is the best Harris model IMO. Height is a personal choice. 6-9" and 9-13 are most commonly used.

Scopes is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Everyone has their faves depending largely on budget. look for at least 10X top end, at least 65 (prefrerrably more) moa of internal travel, and decent turrets.

The Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 M1 is what I'd call the F150 pickup of the tactical scope world.

Target sizes vary, 1-2 moa is fairly typical. (3-6" at 300 yards, 5-10" at 500 yards, 10-20" at 1000 yards, etc)

thanks montana marine I'm a maryland marine 83-87 2542/2531 comm

so should I practice by having a friend put target at unknown ranges and seeing how fast/accurate i can hit them ?

F150 huh ? I'm dodge man or was until they went bankrupt LOL
one leupold coming up no problem

thanks for all the help and answering my questions
confused.gif

I wouldn't start off making it a speed drill. Just practice the methodology.

Locate, determine range, determine el correction, apply el correction, call wind, apply wind correction or holdoff, shoot, spot impact, make additional correction as needed (this is where the mildot or moa style reticle is helpful).

That's sort of how it goes. Then after the target is engaged remember to return your W/E turrets to zero.

If I'm practicing on my own I like to set up steel, and move around to different ditances and engage it. That works pretty good if you have only one steel target, but plenty of room to maneuver in.

Once you have established an accurate traj table, that will be fairly constant. The wind is the challenge. It's a constantly changing variable that is seldom the same twice.

thanks for all the help montanamarine I really appreciate it

Plus you will have your positional shooting, as well as firing from a comprimised position. The stages that kick my butt are the one's when shooting out a school bus window, or shooting of a pile of angled pieces of wood. Plus all your speed drills- 5 small dots in 20 seconds, etc. From standing- dropping to the ground and firing 1 round at a small dot in 4 to 20 seconds. The cold bore shots at 600+ (normally at 800). Lots of stuff!

Gear and technique aside, getting a handle on a new shooting discipline is a 'see and do' proposition.

Invest a day by going to see an event.

Don't be on the sidelines, but rather, tag along (without being a pest), or offer your services to the match staff as a volunteer. Chat at strategic points, being respectful of the competitors' concentration on their tasks, and by the time you're on your way home, a lot of your questions will have answers.

Gear should be a selection based on the things you see in common among the competitors, should be kept on the simpler and more generic side, and should never be brought to an event without having been thoroughly wrung out beforehand. Don't overburden yourself by trying to learn the discipline, and also trying to learn the gear, all at the same time.

Hydration is a key issue, and there is no such thing as too much water or ammo. Think basic, think simple, ask yourself how folks ever managed to get by without all those wonderfully specialized gadgets that have only been available lately.

Stay nearer to the folks who are smiling, and further from the ones who ain't; that's the best advice I can give you about technique. If they're smiling, it's probably because they have a handle on things, and vice versa. I.e., their foo is good.

Greg

Thanks Greg

I had already planned to do just that, the same way I started IPSC/IDPA. I have also decided to use this summer to just practice and learn to range with mil dots. I still can't do it very well so I guess I will seek out some professional instruction soon.

Take a drive up to Reade Range in PA on May 2 and 3 and spectate at the Spring Sniper match.

shoot miker a PM and ask for permission and details.

Thanks to Shane, Graham, Chad and Greg for all the help. A fellow Hider Bill Prudden took me under his wing thursday and taught me how to use mildots so now at least I understand their use. We shot at 100 ,300 and 500 yards and I had great fun doing it. Bill is a good teacher and was very patient answering all of my questions and he can shoot too.

Thanks Bill
grin.gif

Well, OK, but we didn't have that OOHRAH!!! schtuff back when I was in The Crotch. We just sorta gave a deep growl. Sounds reeeeeally eerie out there in the dark.

ROFL!

Greg

Thanks again to fellow Hider Bill Pruden who set me up with ED Shell who setup my Savage rifle last night. Tuesday we are going to Reade Range to try my hand at stEel at 1K.